Signal by Output - runs on the Kontakt engine

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, this looks fantastic. Its some ground that Omni 2 should also cover very well so it might be a bit of duplication in my case, but the interface looks extremely well thought through and I could see myself reaching for it even with Omni.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:Yeah, this looks fantastic. Its some ground that Omni 2 should also cover very well so it might be a bit of duplication in my case, but the interface looks extremely well thought through and I could see myself reaching for it even with Omni.
I have Omnisphere and thought the same thing. Will definitely be upgrading to Omni 2. Signal does appear to have a really nice interface.

Is it just me but does the Output stuff seem overpriced and overmarketed?? I've been constantly bombarded over the last year with reminders of Rev's existence not through seeing reviews and forum threads, or real people actually talking about it, but rather through targeted web ads, targeted video advertisements, and promo tweets.

Are a lot of people actually buying Output's stuff and using it? Real quesions: Is the Output stuff really good? Really useful? Exceptionally fun?

Anyway, it's funny that Omnisphere came up immediately in this thread because when I'm reading through 30+ forum pages of people debating the pricing of Omnisphere, it's the pricing of products like Rev and Signal that make me think that upgrading Omnisphere is pretty good bang for the buck! Especially when they seem to be spending so much money on aggressive marketing.

mostlyjustj wrote:Real quesions: Is the Output stuff really good? Really useful? Exceptionally fun?
Real answers: Yes. Yes. YES!

I have scripted REV so yes, I admit having a bit of a bias, but I have fun with it even today, over a year after release. I've just installed Signal (which wasn't scripted by me, it was done by Nils Liberg, who did the Scarbee libraries), and it's amazing how much thought went into this. You don't even need the manual, everything's right there. Superbly executed product.

mostlyjustj wrote:Is it just me but does the Output stuff seem overpriced and overmarketed?? I've been constantly bombarded over the last year with reminders of Rev's existence not through seeing reviews and forum threads, or real people actually talking about it, but rather through targeted web ads, targeted video advertisements, and promo tweets.

Are a lot of people actually buying Output's stuff and using it? Real quesions: Is the Output stuff really good? Really useful? Exceptionally fun?

Anyway, it's funny that Omnisphere came up immediately in this thread because when I'm reading through 30+ forum pages of people debating the pricing of Omnisphere, it's the pricing of products like Rev and Signal that make me think that upgrading Omnisphere is pretty good bang for the buck! Especially when they seem to be spending so much money on aggressive marketing.
over priced? no not at all. check out stuff similar in product from Sample Logic, 8Dio or Heavyocity. Rev is competitively priced, maybe even a bit cheaper than competitors.

is Rev over marketed? probably. but seeing as how Output only had Rev as a product I think it's safe to say over marketing to sell product and remain open for business is a big deal to a company.

Are a lot of people using it? yes Probably. the box was at each of 3 different Guitar Centers in my area. I bought it at Guitar Center. There is discussion about REV in the Sample forum, not much in the instrument form cause REV is a sample based Kontakt library.

I like REV, it's much more than just reverse samples. it's an interesting concept, interface and scripting is outstanding (thanks EvilDragon! haha).

I own Omnisphere (and everything else by Spectrasonics) and will be upgrading to Omni 2 in early May.

I am thinking really hard about buingin Signal. it looks like another fantastic tool that I could use a lot. Output is becoming the new Heaviocity. I used Heavyocity's Evolve and Damage and AEON for a long time. they are some of my fav libraries. Now Output is becoming that way.

Signal looks like a nice big huge useful toolbox and it's priced really well.

mostlyjustj wrote:Is it just me but does the Output stuff seem overpriced and overmarketed??
Real questions: Is the Output stuff really good? Really useful? Exceptionally fun?
From my POV; the marketing seems average compared to the ones that really over-market or spam this site with their doings on multiple forums. And the price seems to be in keeping with the Kontakt way for licensed libraries. So while I do think it's a bit pricey for what it is, I still wouldn't call it 'overpriced' or 'over-marketed' considering that.
Is it good and fun? Yes, it is solid enough in sound and depending on how I'm getting along with it on any given day can be quite fun. But on some days many of the plugins and libraries I have will just be a nuisance that makes me wonder what I was thinking when I bought it. And this is no exception, but those days usually pass and then I have a fun day with it (or them) again.
Is it really useful though? I imagine that depends on each of our own particular uses, but I haven't gotten any real use out of it TBH.

So while it is a good library and engine, I find myself wondering often what the resale policy is for it - and it usually is at the top of my list for libraries I can do without.
:shrug:

mostlyjustj wrote:Is it just me but does the Output stuff seem overpriced and overmarketed??
It seems oddly marketed to me, to the point of triggering my suspicion and making me aggressively uninterested in it. "Pulse engine" my ass. It's a rompler.

it is NOT a Rompler.

I am sorry. I get really frustrated when the Rompler card is thrown out there.

it's NOT.

....oh hell why bother.

It's a Rompler. great yeah whatever. It's a Rhino. yeah um okay cause it makes sound, sure it's a Rhino too.

It's a sample library/engine for a 'rampler'.

:D

MachineClaw wrote:it is NOT a Rompler.

I am sorry. I get really frustrated when the Rompler card is thrown out there.

it's NOT.
Okay, fine. It's a... pulse engine... that plays back 40 GB of sample data. And is Kontakt-based.

Pulse engine. Wheeeee! We're living in the future. :party:

I bought this, and it's absolutely top notch. Like REV (which I own, too), it's a very "dedicated" library, doing primarily ONE thing - but it does this right, and even in a superb way. I prefer this to libraries that offer this and that and then some, from drums to loops to instruments - as I tend to not find what I am looking for with such libraries. With Signal, you know what to expect in terms of sound, style and options.

The quality and tone of the instruments is fantastic, and the GUI is probably one of the best in Kontakt land (I have quite an extensive collection to compare to). Calling it a 'rompler' is a bit ridiculous, as it's not just playing back samples - the manipulation goes very very deep. I can understand that people react that way, but you have to use it to understand how far off the description "40 Gig of samples, rompler" is. Yes, you can switch of the pulse engine and use the bare instruments, then it would be probably much closer to what I would call a 'rompler'. But on top of that, it offers a very very deep and clever scripted sample/rhythmic manipulation engine, with various arping, looping and wave manipulation options.

The price is right - it's not too expensive for what you get, as it's not just a bunch of samples. You can manipulate and mutate the sounds until the end of days, if you want, and there are about 500 presets already included. I haven't even tried a fraction of these, as it's very inspiring to play.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it for everybody. It's probably great for 'cinematic' styles, and also dance genres. Listen to the trailer and the walkthroughs, and if you like it, then you can buy with confidence. If you don't like the style and sounds, then it's not for you (as the whole product has a very consistent sound).

Their PR might look a bit 'too stylish' for the typical KvR person (= that's me, I guess), but they seem to be targeting people in TV music/sound and movie trailer production - and I think for them, it's absolutely o.k. And it's very well done PR.

By the way: I am not related to them, working for them, and I paid the full (intro) price. I am just happy with the product...

O.k., I hope this helps somebody. Now you can flame me for recommending a rompler. :hihi:

No one who did not use Signal or Rev can honestly say WHAT they are.

About Rev: since it came out I've heard it used in very many spots/soundtracks and this means a lot (more than enough, for a virtual instrument).
People like those at Outputsounds are inspiring musicians all over the world, which I feel it's a fantastic goal reached by a sound designers company.
And it's very high quality stuff, indeed, that it's not overpriced at all.

Wait, please pause for a sec! I've been checking out Signal plus reviews and comments. I've read: "The New Way To PULSE", "it's a new, powerful pulse engine", "500 Pulse Instruments for instant playability", "a pulse generating software instrument", "get this if you use pulses in your music", etc etc... Please excuse my ignorance, but could someone please give me a definition of "pulses"? Obviously, it's about rhythmic sounds and layered arps, loops and sequences. Is that it or is there more to know about the category/genre?

tq wrote: O.k., I hope this helps somebody. Now you can flame me for recommending a rompler. :hihi:

Thanks for the useful reply, tq. Or should I say... **Rompler-Lover**!!! :D

Return to “Instruments”