Coolest Moog sound you ever heard (Arturia Minimoog V)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

Can someone offer me some pointers on how to recreate the sound at 0:00 - 0:10 using the Arturia Minimoog V?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHwLbPj9PLE

Many thanks!
Beats Of The Heart - Reggae Documentary (1977)
Post-Dilla: A Comprehensive Guide to the Beat Generation:

So you know it was done with a Moog?

What an awful track

Chris-S wrote:So you know it was done with a Moog?
I read it in an interview back in the day. Can't find it anymore though.

Made by J Dilla a.k.a. your favorite producer's favorite producer a.k.a. the greatest hiphop producer who ever lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3b4pj3SMMU

aMUSEd wrote:What an awful track
Not doing so great yourself there mate.

I don't see what is special about that sound, could be done in almost any synth, frankly. Actually, it sounds so weak that I doubt it was done on a Minimoog...

Seeing you wrote that I had to listen - agreed completely - it's terrible.
Sweet child in time...

75ips wrote:
Oh I think I am, at least I don't have to start songs with sexist shit

aMUSEd wrote:
75ips wrote:
Even without that it's not that good of a track. I just thought we'd all grown up and dumped that ridiculous hip hop misogyny that seemed to pervade everything a few years ago.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
75ips wrote:
Even without that it's not that good of a track. I just thought we'd all grown up and dumped that ridiculous hip hop misogyny that seemed to pervade everything a few years ago.
Indeed, that's one reason I still like to listen to music from the 70s and 80s, when lyrics still made more sense and had a positive or at least constructive message. Any Stevie Wonder or Maze song can be enjoyed by both children and adults, no need to be worried about words or messages...
That whole thug music scene is so ridiculous in my view...

tbh it seems it's an old track, but the best hiphop was politically aware and socially critical and didn't get into the slimier misogyny of gangster and MTV rap - eg Ded Pres 'This is hiphop' says it all.

75ips wrote:Your favorite producer's favorite producer a.k.a. the greatest hiphop producer who ever lived.
I love it when people argue with stuff like that as though it's a self-evident truth.

aMUSEd wrote:tbh it seems it's an old track, but the best hiphop was politically aware and socially critical and didn't get into the slimier misogyny of gangster and MTV rap - eg Ded Pres 'This is hiphop' says it all.
There's a lot of really great 80s and 90s hip hop that lyrically was really interesting, but crap like the original post is just offensive nonsense.
Sweet child in time...

Keep Hoes away from your wives and daughters! Seriously though, while I'm completely mesmerized by J Dilla's beats (especially from the critically acclaimed Fantastic Vol 2) -- him and his team mates in Slum Village wern't exactly Bob Marley with the pen and pad.
GaryG wrote:I love it when people argue with stuff like that as though it's a self-evident truth.
That's just what people call him. Take it with a grain of salt, but if you know your hiphop, you'll know that he was the driving force behind names such as De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, D'Angelo, The Roots, Erykah Badu, Common etc.

And, more recently, the musical revolution known as the "beat generation" (AFTA-1, Flying Lotus etc.) -- see infographic below -- a continuation of the legacy left behind by J Dilla after his death, but without the lyrics.

Because honestly, what's there left to say? You guys mention lyrics from the 80s and 90s. Nowadays though, if the lyrics are good, they're probably just a rehash of something that was already said a long, long time ago.

Also, I must admit that the title "coolest Moog sound ever" was more clickbait than anything else. The coolest Moog sound, in my opinion, is from Dick Hyman's Alfie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jib1J6YQE

Which, you guessed it, Dilla also made a beat out of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inCmvuDtpqM

As always, tips on how to recreate the sound from Hoes would be greatly appreciated.

Erykah Badu was the driving force behind Erykah Badu.

Return to “Sound Design”