ValhallaRoom 1.5.1 Released. New Electric Blue GUI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaRoom

Valhalla Room is one of the finest reverb plug-ins available. The tremendous quality that this plug-in provides at its price point possibly makes it the uncontested winner for "BEST PLUGIN of the Decade".

ValhallaDSP ValhallaRoom Review - Lex-I-Who?
valhallasound wrote:
ironflippy wrote: Why are you only asking $50 for this?
Some reasons:

- Your average DAW has a ton of built in effects for a few hundred bucks. Why should a single high quality effect cost as much or more than your DAW?
- The economy sucks. At least for those of us in the bottom 90%.
- I like Boss pedals, which are cheap.
- I hate the notion of Veblen goods.
- I don't have to support a US Representative in Congress. :hihi:
- There have been a lot of high quality reverb plugins released in the last few years.
- I want musicians to use this, in addition to studio owners and engineers. Much of the music I love has been recorded at home on modest rigs, and I would love to put high-end tools in the hands of such musicians.
- I want this to be the SM57 of reverb plugins. Low cost, damn near indestructible, versatile, super useful, everyone has one. :D
- Low overhead. Valhalla DSP is me, with some graphic design assistance from my wife (she helped a ton with the look & feel of Room). My office is my 4yo MacBook Pro.
- I have a LOT of algorithms in me. If I start charging $$$ for a given plugin, that makes things too precious for my tastes.
- Because you DESERVE a kick-ass reverb for $50.

Sean Costello
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Working on updating the ValhallaRoom GUI. No new reverb modes, just GUI formatting/improvements, plus rolling in a few minor bug fixes.

I definitely like that better than the old colors. Looking forward to it!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

nice!!!

Yes, it looks better with this colours!
My favourite reverb! :hug:

Slight modification, this time in Electric Blue instead of Cyan:

I kind of like the Cyan version better, but both look great. A Valhalla reverb update with no new modes? Someone's getting lazy. ;-)

I also like the first one a little more, but both look very good.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I kind of like the Cyan version better, but both look great. A Valhalla reverb update with no new modes? Someone's getting lazy. ;-)
Someone's out of reverb slots. 12 slots in ValhallaRoom, originally released with 4. Filled the last slot in December 2014. No ability to add reverb modes without adding parameters, which would break something somewhere.

I quite like the original colour scheme, but I also quite like the new ones too. Most importantly, it is a freakin' great sounding 'verb!

valhallasound wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I kind of like the Cyan version better, but both look great. A Valhalla reverb update with no new modes? Someone's getting lazy. ;-)
Someone's out of reverb slots. 12 slots in ValhallaRoom, originally released with 4. Filled the last slot in December 2014. No ability to add reverb modes without adding parameters, which would break something somewhere.
I'm honestly not even the slightest bit disappointed there's no new reverb modes. That was really just me having some fun with how high a bar you've set in the past by spoiling us so much with new reverb modes. I counted 6 weeks between Valhalla Plate 1.0 and 1.5, which is insane. As always, thanks Sean!

I like the new colour :)

Is there a way that you could make it user selectable? Could be nice to switch it up once in a while.

Out of curiosity, Why did you impose a slot limit when designing the plugin? Do you feel you've fully explored all the possibilities that the plugin's architecture can offer? Not that I want or need new algos really. If I did, then there's always VVV and Plate :)

Maybe a v2 plugin of VRoom that could run side by side with v1.5.X could be good? I would still love an HPF in the wet path, it would make the workflow a bit faster and more streamlined :)

VRoom is absolutely perfect for me otherwise and get's a lot of use. The only other verbs I use are Shimmer, Ubermod and Phoenix Verb!

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:I like the new colour :)
Thanks!
Is there a way that you could make it user selectable? Could be nice to switch it up once in a while.
I was looking into that. It would either require a lot of plumbing to change under the hood, or for users to mess around with a special file hidden in a secret location. That is the sort of thing that scares me - what if that goes wrong? What if the string written into that location gets parsed incorrectly, and results in strange crashes?
Out of curiosity, Why did you impose a slot limit when designing the plugin? Do you feel you've fully explored all the possibilities that the plugin's architecture can offer? Not that I want or need new algos really. If I did, then there's always VVV and Plate :)
To be honest, I don't know of any plugins that had expandable algorithm slots before the release of ValhallaRoom!

The "algorithm slots" map to a parameter in the plugin. Same as any of the other sliders or knobs, but this one is controlled by the REVERB MODE menu. The slider maps to a 0 to 1 range, and this range can't be expanded. So, I had to figure out how to divide this range when I created the plugin. I released the plugin with 12 slots, and filled 4 of them. I never imagined that I would fill all 12 slots.

This is why ValhallaShimmer has remained the same since it was released. I didn't figure out the "algorithm slot" trick when I wrote Shimmer, so it only has room for 4 algorithms.

The plugins I have released after ValhallaRoom (ÜberMod, VintageVerb, Plate) have 24 algorithm slots. That seems to be enough room. Add more slots, and your low level algorithm parameter is very hard to tweak, when you look at it from the DAW view. I don't know how many people do that, but it happens from time to time.
Maybe a v2 plugin of VRoom that could run side by side with v1.5.X could be good? I would still love an HPF in the wet path, it would make the workflow a bit faster and more streamlined :)
USE A SEND!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Seriously, I want to preach this from the heavens: REVERBS SHOULD BE ON SENDS. Unless you are using it 100% wet. Then an insert makes more sense.

As far as a HPF, part of the sound of a Room is the low frequency pressure. This is why the "classic" digital reverbs (Quantec QRS, early Lexicon, EMT250) had no low cut filters. They may have had high cut filters, and often had filters for controlling the low frequency reverb time, but no filters that cut out low frequency energy below a given frequency. This was probably due to the intended use in classical music, where a realistic room sound was highly sought after, and the low frequencies added to the spatialization. Plus, the old hardware was always run on sends. I based the control set of ValhallaRoom on these older reverbs.

During the ValhallaRoom dev process, I put a more full-featured EQ section in there. It sounded HORRIBLE. Apparently I'm not great at writing EQs. I took a chance and put an EQ section in ValhallaPlate, but these are pretty simple 1st order shelving filters. My mind boggles when I read the latest filter theory from Andrew Simpler, Vadim Zavalishin, Urs Heckmann, et al. I figured I'd better stick to what I do best.

Sean Costello

Nice. I like electric blue more than cyan
Play it by ear

One more vote for electric blue, not that this is a democracy

Return to “Effects”