One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GrokSynth wrote:@Mojo42 - One way to look at dithering is (very non-technical) -

There are inherent difficulties in recording digitally (sampling) as it causes discrete bits of music to be recorded in series (thousands of individual sound-bits per second). Because there is inherently a limit in sample rate and bit depth during computer recording, this method is likely to result in small errors.

And, more errors happen when you do any processing on what was recorded in (primarily due to multiplication, I always hated multiplication). If there are enough of them (and there are many quiet samples), it can make you audio less representative of what you recorded in (no good). :x

Adding a very small amount of (relatively) continuous noise helps to (kind of) smooth these errors and allows for better dynamic range in a track.

Whether it is a good idea or not is probably not important until everything else is prettied up. Really, that is the bit that I have not gotten figured yet as I am much newer to recording than to the tech that is used. :?

Anyway, for anyone who stayed awake during this, I hope it helps. :phones:

Edited for clarity.
Oooooooooooooooookay. That was the very non technical explanation??? :lol:

But thanks for trying :wink:

@SoundGoddess: I see, but probably you just had luck that you didn`t damage your songs with all this tools. Normally only one compressor and one limiter is used and also should be used very carefully because you can easily make things rather worse than better with this tools. That is why I learn how to use this tools right now. Bob Katz compared compressor and limiter with loaded weapons which should be used very carefully and after damaging the first version of my last month`s OSC entry I guess I know what he is talking about.

So: Good that nothing bad happened this time with your song, but up from now you will have got the time for learning all this and no time pressure anymore. What I wish to say is: Don`t get used to it using so many tools, although it worked this time. I understand now why you simply left all the way it was, when your song was sound well, but in the long run (and with having more time) it is better to learn this all intensely and use this tools rather carefully.

@mehum: Good to know for the case that I wish to enter OSC somewhen with an irish folk song :lol:

@Everbody who is posting, deleting and reposting his/her song: My dear god in heaven!!! Now I understand why the most (wise) members are waiting with commenting on Soundcloud until the contest is over :lol:

Okay, I guess I got it now. I will also wait with commenting until the contest is over 8)
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Here's my entry for this compo. Return of the Disco Riff King.

https://soundcloud.com/subject36/return ... king-osc73

Made with Logic Pro X using 19 instances of Synth Master Player. I only used some of the 200 free patches that comes with it, doing some layering and tweaking. That made it a bit hard to do percussions, though. :)

Effects in use:
Logic Pro X internal Compressor, EQ and Limiter.
DCAM Free Mixbus compressor.
Changing handle to Subject36..

Entry for OSC73
JWHanberry - First Departure
https://soundcloud.com/jwhanberry/jwhan ... -departure

My first time at OSC. Finished FAWM last month; lots of guitars and vocals. This is an entirely different challenge. I'm a rock, blues, country, R&B guitar player so I welcome anyone's critique that might help me find my way in an unfamiliar landscape.

DAW: Sonar X1
Synth: SynthMaster Reader-Free, 10 instances
FX: Cakewalk HF Exciter, Cakewalk LP64 compressor, TL64 leveler on the Master channel
Voxengo OldSkoolVerb - as system Reverb - 1 instance
Cakewalk Pro-Channel EQ/Tube Sat - 10 instances
Cakewalk Tempo Delay - 2 instances
Kjaerhus Classic Delay - 1 instance
MDA Image - 1 instance

Here we go, just got out of class and now have just over 24 hours to arrange the entire track :D Might stay up the entire time or take a 5 hour nap sometime in between for a fresh pair of ears. Might have to miss class tomorrow too, will see how it goes. How you doing z prime? I know we are usually the last ones to upload :hihi: Cheers
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:.. now have just over 24 hours to arrange the entire track ... How you doing z prime? I know we are usually the last ones to upload :hihi: Cheers
Haha. You know me too well. :oops: Having a tech job hinders getting finished quickly sometimes (ok, all the time for me). Also I had a very busy last week where I didn't get a lot of time for this track. Will have something tomorrow, late-ish. Going to have to have a goal just to be the first submission one month. :hihi:

That's cool :D I was kinda hoping I wasn't the only one in a mad rush to get it completed :hihi: I'd be happy if I could submit a track even a week before the deadline and be satisfied with it. About being the first one done, I don't see how that is possible, some people upload after 24 hours. For me there is no way i could be happy with something in so little time. Well back to it :wink:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:That's cool :D I was kinda hoping I wasn't the only one in a mad rush to get it completed :hihi: I'd be happy if I could submit a track even a week before the deadline and be satisfied with it. About being the first one done, I don't see how that is possible, some people upload after 24 hours. For me there is no way i could be happy with something in so little time. Well back to it :wink:
I know. There is a month, though. So use it all and don't feel bad about it! 8)

Side note: still over 24 hours :)

z.prime wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:That's cool :D I was kinda hoping I wasn't the only one in a mad rush to get it completed :hihi: I'd be happy if I could submit a track even a week before the deadline and be satisfied with it. About being the first one done, I don't see how that is possible, some people upload after 24 hours. For me there is no way i could be happy with something in so little time. Well back to it :wink:
I know. There is a month, though. So use it all and don't feel bad about it! 8)
Indeed, and I have I assure you. I've been keeping tabs on production time with the rescue time app (measures productive time vs distracting time (videos, forums, etc) and have logged well over 100 hours so far. :oops: To be honest, I could probably finish a track in 40 hours if I don't run off a tangent like usual. I streamed easily and albums worth of non duplicated material. I have psy tripplet section, dubstep, progressive trance, and goa section, all in one track :lol: Gotta get back to it though or I won't even be submitting anything this month despite all the time already put in. Though regardless, Ill finish up the track with more time anyways. Next month I'll try to compose an entire track in one project file. That's my goal :tu:

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:I have psy tripplet section, dubstep, progressive trance, and goa section, all in one track :lol:

Haha, i was going for a psystep (psy and dubstep)track hybrid sorta thing :hihi: Haven't you heard of psystep before? I wanted to try something different this time, hopefully it'll turn out alright. :hihi:

TTU Youtube

Just one thing that got me a bit worried when going to sleep last night.. I missed the excluded preset info a bit as I thought it was only if you use external libraries, as I didn't. Then when going through the rules again before submitting, I noticed the drum preset not being allowed.. So I removed it and tried my best to cover up.

But.. Now I got thinking. The organ presets I have based parts of the song on, are they allowed? It's the KY Lullaby to Chru-chil and the OR Notre Dame..
Changing handle to Subject36..

elBeppo wrote:Just one thing that got me a bit worried when going to sleep last night.. I missed the excluded preset info a bit as I thought it was only if you use external libraries, as I didn't. Then when going through the rules again before submitting, I noticed the drum preset not being allowed.. So I removed it and tried my best to cover up.

But.. Now I got thinking. The organ presets I have based parts of the song on, are they allowed? It's the KY Lullaby to Chru-chil and the OR Notre Dame..
Don't worry, they're just wavetables of Basic shapes or Single Cycle Waveforms and thus allowed.

Here's a sneak peak at the dubstep section of the track, which is my first take on the genre in this style, not sure how the drums turned out in it though :ud: Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/majestic_dawn/sy ... bbassmix-2

(edit, actually this is a take i started out with to try to mimic similar drums with synthmaster using samples. I tried to reverse engineer how it should sound like ideally. You can hear the version with synthmaster drums if I manage to complete the track in time :wink: .)

TTU Youtube

That's it for now, I'm calling it a night for some fresh ears tomorrow but the task ahead looks quite daunting. I layed out all streams of the sections I worked on and is 250 minutes!! not including the drums or leads, I'll probably just end up grabbing the whatever sounds good at first listen at each section to wrap it up,arrrg, until atleast I have more time on it :hihi: . Cheers

Edit* bjporter, is there anyway I could upload a few days past the deadline if I forgo the prize or is this a stupid question?

TTU Youtube

Return to “Instruments”