Selling your new album without getting involved in Streaming

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Money hasn't made Taylor happy.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I don't listen to 90 second demos... :shrug:

That's like trying to fall into love with a girl who sends you a photo, showing her hair cut without the face...

Codestation wrote: Sometimes I wonder what percentage of people actually lie still and do nothing but listen to music for any period of time anymore? Everyone I know who does not make music considers such an act a waste of time.
Most non-musicians are like this, but there are a (very) few exceptions. I have met 4 or 5 in my life.

But I don't think it was ever any different. Even if sitting around quietly while albums were playing used to be socially normal, I would bet that only a tiny handful of people were actually listening as opposed to say, day dreaming about the opposite sex, or pondering the meaning of Hesse's "Siddhartha", or wondering what they could have for dinner or whatever.
Music is a ringtone. It's background. It's that (free) catchy bit that runs in your currently favored commercial.
Sad, but again recorded music has always been used by other industries for their own purposes. The whole concept of the music industry was a last ditch effort by the talking machine companies to stay above water.

More interestingly, the first incarnations of most of the tools and techniques used in modern music production were developed by people working in sound for the movies. Stereo and high fidelity audio were developed for film sound, not home listening. Most other key innovations have come from research into telecommunications. The glory of timeless musical recordings had nothing to do with any of this stuff.

In fact, the only specific influence of musical aesthetics on audio reality that I know of is the playing time of a Compact Disc, which supposedly was decided by finding out the playing time of the longest known recording of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

But I am a glass half full kind of guy, and to me what is remarkable is not how few people care about music, but how many resources have been made available to musicians and music lovers by people working toward completely different ends.

attention troll needs attention

debra1rlo wrote:attention troll needs attention
Hey! I thought I was one of your favorites since runagate moved to Texas!

:tantrum:

1. Taylor Swift's album 1989 will NOT be available on Spotify - ever. 2. She has NOT signed a deal with Tidal yet and if she does, she will get millions up front for the rights. So it's not streaming in the sense that she is going to give away her music. That's a sick joke. No artist with any self respect would give away their music to the streaming fools for nothing, except those caught in a contract bind with their labels who sold them out.
As for me, I repeat: There is NO way my music will ever be streamed. I have seen way too many artists destroyed by music industry hucksters. Now, I will provide a 90 second demo of every song on my album. If that's not enough to make a buy decision, then so be it. I am not a desperate musician. And besides, people who demand to hear a whole song up front are not very serious about music anyway, in my opinion. I guarantee you one thing: My fans will purchase my music. And I do need to be Taylor swift to make money in this business. Lesser success is fine with me. Lastly, if a person loves and wants to hear beautiful love ballads, my music just might be the right choice for them.
Forgot to mention: I expect at least 4 new internet stores to arise from the streaming ashes within two years, selling music by download only. I will, of course put my music on those sites. There is no rush. No need to approach this market like a fool waiting to be had. GO TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!!!!!!
Poor streamers: the gas is going out of your bag.

tedinmexico wrote:it's not streaming in the sense that she is going to give away her music..
No its just streaming in the sense of what the word streaming means when applied to media.

No true Scotsman fallacy in action. 'Oh, streaming is bad, but stuff thats streaming that isnt bad isnt streaming'.

And besides, people who demand to hear a whole song up front are not very serious about music anyway, in my opinion.
Guffaw. Because they biggest era of the traditional music industry didnt coincide with the popularity of radio, even slightly. :lol:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

tedinmexico wrote:And besides, people who demand to hear a whole song up front are not very serious about music anyway, in my opinion.
When I listened to mainstream radio and watched MTV (and VIVA) in the 80ies and 90ies, they played whole songs, not 90 seconds demos...

I wouldn't buy an album from a lesser known artist based on a single Youtube video and 90 seconds demos. Except if you're as famous as "El Chapo de Sinaloa"...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I seem to recall that the model worked quite well when streaming was just called "listening to the radio". I don't remember any acts who held back their material to make people buy it based on listening to part of a song. I wonder why?

Do these threads about the evils of streaming actually serve any purpose?
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:Do these threads about the evils of streaming actually serve any purpose?

In Munich city there was even a big "World of Music" record shop in the 90ies and 00ies with big pairs of headphones hanging around where you could listen to whole cassettes or (later) CDs! :o

whyterabbyt wrote:
Deep Purple wrote:Do these threads about the evils of streaming actually serve any purpose?
Yeah, pretty much.
Sweet child in time...

whyterabbyt wrote:
Is Don Quixote about a donkey named Hotay?

debra1rlo wrote: Is Don Quixote about a donkey named Hotay?
Yes. Dont get it confused with Donkey Hottie, though, that's a completely different episode of Jerry Springer.

this thread reminded me of this clip. just replace video tape with streaming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH0kOWNtLFo

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”