[VST/AU] Realtime Guitar to Midi Converter - Bituosity MiGiC (Free Beta)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Philip, would it make sense to make the new synth a part of MiGiC instead of separate?

Musical Gym wrote:Philip, would it make sense to make the new synth a part of MiGiC instead of separate?
The "new synth"? Do you mean rtpMIDI or MiGiC Helper...or an actual VST plug-in synth?

He left the functionality rtpMIDI provides out of MiGiC because not everyone needs it, rtpMIDI was already "out there", and it's one less thing he'd have to develop and troubleshoot. He also left MiGiC Helper out for the same, basic reason: not everyone needs its functionality, so installing it and running it in every case may cause unnecessary problems.

Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, Phillip, but I believe these are the basic reasons you gave when you first released the plug-in:
philipkarlsson wrote:
RunBeerRun wrote:That rtp loopback needs to be optional! I can't get this to work in Sandboxie still. People don't like hassles, make it shine!
That depends on what you mean with hassle.. Say that you don't have any previous experience with virtual midi and you don't have another driver?

What I could (and will) do is to make the driver optional at the end of the install and rewrite the midi-backend so that you can choose arbitrary midi-ports and add I will probably add a midi-out-slot to the VST (not doable with audio unit).

There might be several reasons why you cannot make it work in Sandboxie.. For example it talks with the midi-backend (which is put in a separate process) though a named pipe. If you must use Sandboxie you should probably wait for the full version since this is a very early beta which needs these hacks to work.

Although, I must point out that it is a completely different thing on OS X where you don't need any extra drivers/processes in order to make it work.
Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
Musical Gym wrote:Philip, would it make sense to make the new synth a part of MiGiC instead of separate?
The "new synth"? Do you mean rtpMIDI or MiGiC Helper...or an actual VST plug-in synth?
This one >> Philip wrote: "I have a really cool guitar-synth in the prototype stage which benefits from the algorithms of MiGiC, if MiGiC is successful I will also release this..

Musical Gym wrote:
planetearth wrote:
This one >> Philip wrote: "I have a really cool guitar-synth in the prototype stage which benefits from the algorithms of MiGiC, if MiGiC is successful I will also release this..
Oh, sorry--I didn't see that.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

'guitar-synth': yeah, like, hardware right? Fas-kinating.

@Phillip: ahh, yes. It asked to load x32 and x64, so I said yes. Since x32 loaded, it likely works. Haven't been on my music machine, though. I'll holler on that when I do. Thanks.

I guess it kinda makes sense to do it the other way around so MiGiC is a part of the new synth? Perhaps I could include a very early test-version in an upcoming MiGiC-release.

MiGiC Beta 4 is now released!

I have now released beta 4 which includes a new preprocessing section with Gain, Filter and Compression controls. I have also fixed a number of bugs that I have been able to adress with the help of you guys. Thank you for all your support and I hope you will enjoy the new beta!

The beta is available at http://www.bituosity.com

Cheers,
Philip

Hi Philip,

Cheers for the update.

I got the VST working in Sonar (X3). Your clear instruction did help. I'm not sure if it's on by default(?) but a key to things 'falling into place' was reconizing / enabling MIDI out on the MiGiC VST's dropdown menu (in the Cakewalk VST container). I don't recall it appearing before, but I then reconized MiGiC as selectable (channel 1) from the instrument track MIDI in.

I did have to set 'gain' very high and still play with sensitivity. I set filter and compression to 20% - not fully understanding their use, but assuming filter to clean the signal, compression to knock off the peaks.

Results were varied but I did notice a few things:
- the 2nd string (open B) gave the clearest response
- as did 6th string (low E) below fret 5
- things were generally better higher up the fretboard (say fret 7 and higher).

I wouldn't expect my electro-acoustic Celebrity(by Ovation) CC57 shallowback to cause too much of an issue(?) I does have a passive piezo pickup - no preamp ... but I am going through a mixer / audio interface with preamplication / digital converversion. (Works fine for 'regular' DAW/ampsim use, and physical amp).

Regards,
Shell.

[EDIT]: Hmmm ... I've just read a forum post saying that piezos have...
"a frequency and volume response curve with ups and downs like your favourite mountain range." ... and ... "a very bright, hard output".
Could be a problem?

[UPDATE]: FYI ... I've had better success after increasing the input levels and having a good 'play' with the controllable parameters - still high gain. Still not 100% - but getting closer with general detection over the full neck now.
Last edited by ShellstaX on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

philipkarlsson wrote:
I guess it kinda makes sense to do it the other way around so MiGiC is a part of the new synth? Perhaps I could include a very early test-version in an upcoming MiGiC-release.
That would be great. I've seen it done the other way around when I worked on a secret beta awhile back. The on-board synth may have been there just to test tracking, etc. before routing out to vst..However, it didn't appear that the synth was a temporary feature.

ShellstaX wrote:Hi Philip,

Cheers for the update.

I got the VST working in Sonar (X3). Your clear instruction did help. I'm not sure if it's on by default(?) but a key to things 'falling into place' was reconizing / enabling MIDI out on the MiGiC VST's dropdown menu (in the Cakewalk VST container). I don't recall it appearing before, but I then reconized MiGiC as selectable (channel 1) from the instrument track MIDI in.

I did have to set 'gain' very high and still play with sensitivity. I set filter and compression to 20% - not fully understanding their use, but assuming filter to clean the signal, compression to knock off the peaks.

Results were varied but I did notice a few things:
- the 2nd string (open B) gave the clearest response
- as did 6th string (low E) below fret 5
- things were generally better higher up the fretboard (say fret 7 and higher).

I wouldn't expect my electro-acoustic Celebrity(by Ovation) CC57 shallowback to cause too much of an issue(?) I does have a passive piezo pickup - no preamp ... but I am going through a mixer / audio interface with preamplication / digital converversion. (Works fine for 'regular' DAW/ampsim use, and physical amp).

Regards,
Shell.

[EDIT]: Hmmm ... I've just read a forum post saying that piezos have...
"a frequency and volume response curve with ups and downs like your favourite mountain range." ... and ... "a very bright, hard output".
Could be a problem?

[UPDATE]: FYI ... I've had better success after increasing the input levels and having a good 'play' with the controllable parameters - still high gain. Still not 100% - but getting closer with general detection over the full neck now.
Thank you very much for your input. Do you think you could email me a screenshot of where you clicked to enable the midi-out in the VST-dropdown on Sonar? I have just installed piezos on my acoustic and I will give it a try tonight to see if I get the same kind of results. Once again thank you!

I have now added tutorials on how to setup the VST and the AU as well has how to tune the parameters in MiGiC for good results. The tutorials are available at http://www.bituosity.com/tutorials.html. Let me know if they are somewhat helpful.

Cheers,
Philip

Tried MiGiC on Win7 x64 (without internet connection) and I can only see message "could not reach licencing servers" and that I should contact you. Is it possible to use it without internet? (sent same in email but no response)

testing Migic in Logic X

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Are there beta/demo Limitations ?

When i play sometimes Migic outputs really high midi note , kinda like bleeps.
Is this normal demo limitations or is it the tracking freaking out sometimes. Noticed also that polyphony is disabled. is this normal ?
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I'm having problems with this in sonar 2015. It seems to be tracking, but I can't output the midi to another synth. I had it working with the standalone a few months back and the tracking was really good. I'm looking forward to the release of this product, but hopefully the sonar problems will be solved soon. If anyone else have got this working in Sonar, could you please tell how you did it.

See if this pic helps @Chandler ...

I'm using Sonar X3 - can't imagine it's any different for 2015
- ensure your Input Echo = ON
- ensure your VST has MIDI output enabled
- check your track in/outs.

Return to “Instruments”