Exponential Audio Excalibur

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having an issue with the master feedback. A lot of the presets with delays have the feedback up high, and i'm having to dial it down on usually two voices. I want to be able to just do that with the master feedback. From reading the manual I thought that was what the master feedback knob should do. I'm not hearing the master feedback doing much if anything most the time.

A couple of tutorials on creating sounds from scratch would most likely help. Bring on Dan Worrall I say.

I'm kind of glad others are having problems understanding, don't feel like such an idiot now.

bmanic wrote:Agreed on everything said here. The sound quality is SUBLIME of all the effects but the user interface is an absolute nightmare.

I can't help but feel this could have been much better designed. As it is now, I don't feel at all like purchasing it due to it's interface. It's very uninspiring and confusing.

This is a plugin where a good drag and drop type of interface would work a lot better.. and having as much as possible on the screen at one time instead of dividing it up into sections.

Heck, you can't even tell if a "voice" is in use or not at a glance.

Sound = 10/10
Interface =4/10

:(
I would agree 100% with this. This thing can elicit "wow" moments however the interface is a living nightmare. The preset browsing is the most glaring issue. However yesterday while tweaking it, I wanted to do something very simple (I think it was to bring down the feedback) - I searched for ages, carefully looking at each knob or seeing if there was a hidden panel but couldn't find it...

Kindred wrote:
bmanic wrote:Agreed on everything said here. The sound quality is SUBLIME of all the effects but the user interface is an absolute nightmare.

I can't help but feel this could have been much better designed. As it is now, I don't feel at all like purchasing it due to it's interface. It's very uninspiring and confusing.

This is a plugin where a good drag and drop type of interface would work a lot better.. and having as much as possible on the screen at one time instead of dividing it up into sections.

Heck, you can't even tell if a "voice" is in use or not at a glance.

Sound = 10/10
Interface =4/10

:(
I would agree 100% with this. This thing can elicit "wow" moments however the interface is a living nightmare. The preset browsing is the most glaring issue. However yesterday while tweaking it, I wanted to do something very simple (I think it was to bring down the feedback) - I searched for ages, carefully looking at each knob or seeing if there was a hidden panel but couldn't find it...
As I mentioned above, I had the same issue with feedback. I found I had to check what voices it was turned up on and turn the feedback knobs down on each. It's usually just on the two with right and left delay lines, but sometimes it's on three. I wish they all linked to the master feedback knob.

This is a plugin which really should have had a good tutorial video made by the developer launched at the same time to help people understand it. I think it may harm sales not to as people are being put off by the interface.

I've read the manual and pretty much understand how it all works now but the process of programming a complex patch from scratch is probably too time consuming to be of that much interest to me. Thankfully there are a vast array of great presets to tweak.

I don't think it's a complex plugin per say.. I do understand it 100% but the interface is a nightmare to use. I'm really surprised it got all the way to release without complaints from the beta testers or the sound designers. Something like this could be done so much more elegantly. It's not all that complex if you think about it for a second but the way it's divided up into sections and the modulation stuff is hidden behind a second panel is just bizarre.

It doesn't invite any experimentation because re-routing even simple setups takes ages.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:I don't think it's a complex plugin per say.. I do understand it 100% but the interface is a nightmare to use. I'm really surprised it got all the way to release without complaints from the beta testers or the sound designers. Something like this could be done so much more elegantly. It's not all that complex if you think about it for a second but the way it's divided up into sections and the modulation stuff is hidden behind a second panel is just bizarre.

It doesn't invite any experimentation because re-routing even simple setups takes ages.
I won't get to demo until this evening, but your comments/experience would ring true with my initial misgivings about the audio demos posted on the site - where I observed the distinct lack of any real interesting 'sound design' demos (bar one), despite all the claims in the blurb that it's a sound designers dream, sound designer's swiss army knife etc.

it's not enough to contain multiple tools to be considered akin to a swiss army knife, in sound design terms. it needs to be as usable as one too. with the current interface, and given your feedback bmanic, it sounds more rubix cube than swiss army knife. though i'll demo it first before I commit to this impression.

The dsp may very well be nailed, but in terms of sound design, I agree with you full bmanic that the user interface is equally important.

looking forward to demoing this evening.

barryfell wrote:I'm having an issue with the master feedback. A lot of the presets with delays have the feedback up high, and i'm having to dial it down on usually two voices. I want to be able to just do that with the master feedback. From reading the manual I thought that was what the master feedback knob should do. I'm not hearing the master feedback doing much if anything most the time.
You're having trouble with it because I broke it! Fixed in the lab and the new version will be available in a few days (along with a number of other small tweaks).

bmanic wrote:It's not all that complex if you think about it for a second but the way it's divided up into sections and the modulation stuff is hidden behind a second panel is just bizarre.
what would be cool if it had an alternate 'large' GUI which put ALL voices/mod up on screen at once.

I can understand why that wouldn't be good as the default GUI - espec for people working on laptops - but for those on full size monitors (and espec 4K monitors) it'd be nice to have the option

I was hoping someone would take a concept like this and use visual cables like you get with U-he Bazille but for an FX plugin.
:borg:

Michael Carnes wrote:
barryfell wrote:I'm having an issue with the master feedback. A lot of the presets with delays have the feedback up high, and i'm having to dial it down on usually two voices. I want to be able to just do that with the master feedback. From reading the manual I thought that was what the master feedback knob should do. I'm not hearing the master feedback doing much if anything most the time.
You're having trouble with it because I broke it! Fixed in the lab and the new version will be available in a few days (along with a number of other small tweaks).
Ah OK. I look forward to grabbing the new version then. :)

Yes...PLEASE....tutorials! The sound is stunning but I can't for the life of me figure out how to program this thing.

Andy B

V0RT3X wrote:I was hoping someone would take a concept like this and use visual cables like you get with U-he Bazille but for an FX plugin.
The Eventide H3000 plugin does that. I'm not sure it helps that much. It soon ends up looking like a rat's nest.

GlitchMachines Quadrant borrows more from the Aalto GUI and looks less messy but it's easy to run out of modulators for the effect you want.

w1awb wrote:Yes...PLEASE....tutorials! The sound is stunning but I can't for the life of me figure out how to program this thing.

Andy B
There will be tutorials. Hoped to have a couple by now, but you know what they say about good intentions :wink:

I tend to agree with a lot of the above. Excellent sound! The UI feels like it was designed by an engineer ;)

+1 For tutorials - very complex, requires some head wrapping.

But what I've played iwth so far the results are stunningly smooth and a pleasure to listen to.

Return to “Effects”