Questions about Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook.

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I've been thinking about getting Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook. It practically seems like the perfect solution for learning to produce electronic music. I've gone through many different learning methods for this topic, and have come to the conclusion that to really get started, I need to learn how to program synthesizers. Being more attracted to books, I found this. But I'll need to know if it'll actually suit what I'm looking for in it. So, here are some of my questions:
Will this book teach me the theory to making my own new (unique) patches? Does it actually tell you how to make certain sounds and why it works that way, rather than simply giving you the parameters and telling you to copy it? Will I be able to think of a lead/bass/whatever in my head and be able to create it in a synth based upon the knowledge this book gives me? Or, rephrased, will I be able to start at a blank template and go to any desired sound? Will it tell me what each individual parameter of the basic synth does and how it affects the sound?
Thank you for your time.

It's not the perfect solution for learning to produce electronic music... but for learning to synthesize your own sounds, it's hard to beat.

There are two cookbooks. I suggest you get both. The first focuses on making particular timbres - and yes, it does explain the basics of synthesizers (although you can get that from wikipedia). The second focuses on analyzing sounds and reproducing them on a synth.

Don't skip over the first one though... you want to have a basic foundation in synthesizing sounds, and also to get used to his basic approach.

You can also get Syntorial but it's a lot more expensive.

Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbooks 1 & 2 are both awesome :)

He sent me both when I only ordered one. Helpful but not a cure-all if that makes sense.

I do certainly understand that it's not a complete guide, and I will still need to learn various other topics before being fully confident with what I'm doing. However, after having all of my previous experiences in creation being hopelessly trying to found sounds to suit me and attempting, with fail, to understand the components to the synthesizers I was using, I believe this could be an extremely big help to me.
And I do plan on getting both, whether it be the author sending both or me ordering both, and do plan on starting with the first book.

Sounds good.

Let me know if he doesn't send you both books when you order the first one. I may owe him some money if it was a mistake haha.

I'll be sure to update you on that. But I have to ask one more thing before I order it (and this question applies to anyone willing to answer). I hope this question doesn't sound foolish, but will I be able to create leads, basses, sounds, etc. associated with the more complex or "hardcore" genres, such as dubstep (brostep), drum 'n' bass, or energetic electro house tracks with knowledge gained from this book? The more I thought about it, it seemed to me that this book is only really supposed to be for the creation of basic, general-use sounds; such that one might hear in simplistic old-style house tracks, or for a more traditional musician looking to make traditional instrument sounds. I probably should've been expecting such, and I only got way over my head.

It's basic sounds but a LOT of them. I'm no expert myself but with yellow and red you can make orange, you know?

Well put. I understand what you mean. The only reason why I hadn't ordered the book yet is due to the fact that I plan to have a future in music, but need to first know if I'll be able to have the right resources. If not, I'll turn my focus onto a different interest. And I wouldn't quite like to waste time reading the book only to find out it wasn't something as progressive as I would need it to be. I apologize for dragging this out, but if you were to describe this book as either helpful, but not applicable for "professional," or "full-scale" dance songs or helpful and applicable for full-out dance songs, which would you describe it as? I am aware that this book isn't an instant-hit printer, but I'm asking that with time and practice, do you think the lessons from this book could be applied to making big dance tracks? Or are the lessons just too basic for something of that level? Or, to put it differently, are the lessons pre-requisites to more complex lessons, or are the lessons something that, with practice, can bring one to eventually making the complex sounds on their own?

(Lol...I apologize...I've probably gotten annoying by this point)

They're basic and probably slightly boring but worth studying.

I wouldn't mind bore factor, so long that it's useful. To hear that it's basic is a bit off-putting to hear, but my interest hasn't completely dulled out. May I ask if you've managed to create any songs or patches that you're particularly proud based off of the teachings? And possibly what genres you might label them as?

Nyxad wrote: Will I be able to think of a lead/bass/whatever in my head and be able to create it in a synth based upon the knowledge this book gives me?
Yes if you understand the concept the book introduces.
Nyxad wrote:Will it tell me what each individual parameter of the basic synth does and how it affects the sound?
If you study and listen.

The Cookbook focus on fux acoustic/less complex synth timbre. It's a good way to learn to look and listen harmonic structure, not for introduction to any genre specific sounds. Honestly I wouldn't call it basic myself; took me a while to think through the concepts and apply them (which is universal).

It's a useful book for expanding your programming ideas and solutions. I like keeping mine in a bookshelf nearby. If all you're interested is EDM genre timbre however, just search youtube/pay video tutorial sites, or study the gazillion patches in your favorite synth.

If you do buy, personally I would skip the vol2 harmonic content one. The book's idea isn't bad, but the graphs' resolution is just too low imo (and choice of root note and x-axis' scale is too inconsistent IMO). YMMV.
arkmabat wrote:Let me know if he doesn't send you both books when you order the first one. I may owe him some money if it was a mistake haha.
Had to buy separately myself. You lucky :hihi:

Thank you, everyone, for all of your helpful responses. I've just ordered the book and will be reading it over my spring break. I think it'll be best that I give it a go and see how things progress from there. Best wishes.

Return to “Sound Design”