March Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward).

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Wednesday, April 1.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on. (Thanks to OSC for this rule.)

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://farlukar.x10.mx/kvrcontest

Thanks and good luck.
No longer a moderator.

1 (10 points)
nickel smith - really like the sounds- very evocative. builds nicely. I found the ending a little strange though. 1:24 reminds me of some björk tune?!?!

ruedi rena - funny and great production. cinematic pad fade-ins not really my cup of tea.

laguna rising - awesome melody! very original. a little less "strange chaos" would have been great though.

hellfog - nice arrangement and production with some unexpected turns. the part after the siren is a little too long IMO.

david stiles - nice orchestration. production could support the moviescore a little more maybe? nice big stereo field but
maybe in terms of depths (front-back..) a little flat somehow?! love the romantic melody part starting at 1:26!

dh miltz - very raw at the beginning. I like the tune more and more the longer it takes (nice brass chords and ending). cool idea: contrast reverb-absolutely no reverb.

kryptonaut - nice fat bass! builds a little slow but nicely.

sound goddess - pleasant fun little melody! there is sth. that a really like about this little ditty (a little far away from
"50s sci fi" though).

9 clarago - good sound design! a little melody would have been cool IMO.

10 beanpole - funny : ) reminds me of "they might be giants".
_____

key 88 - would have liked to understand the lyrics (maybe it`s jut me). a little too hard too follow what is going on for me.

mr natural - hmm.. A little too hard for me to find a connection to this month`s theme..

wow - really nice work this month people ! Welcome to some new "faces" - compliments all around
1. Hellfog - loved this piece from beginning to end. the soundspace is just spectacular here with the perfectly proper creepy attitude. I look forward to plugging this one into my big stereo upstairs and listening to it in full 7.2 surround, baby !
2. David Stiles - of course David's gonna show well here :=) Another massive production complete with multiple sub-themes and a glockenspiel fer krissakes. Add a wacky time signature change at the end and I'm not worthy of being in the same room as this guy.
3. DH Miltz - totally has the suspense and the monsters going here. Typical Dan-like use of sonic space, use of silence and unexpected mystery. Lovely
4. Laguna Rising - love the dissonance, the magic use of synths and guitars and the brilliantly twisted percussion. Didn't really make me feel "under attack"; more amused and I wanna dance with the aliens
5. forw - tonality here is amazing. Appropriately suspenseful and scary but the choirs feel a little over the top. Killer ending, however
6. NickelSmith - this one was difficult as I would have rated it higher . . . if it had any linkage to the OP's theme of Sci-Fi movie . . . but I was flat knocked out by the piece. Lovely lost in space feel with broken, then re-connected communication and a brilliant triumphant ending. Very nice
7. kryptonaut - there's the thermin ! there are the lazer beams ! great soundscape that didn't move enough as a piece from beginning to middle to end
8. Clarago - another beautiful sound space that is totally film-like. Kubrick could have used this very well but it's not scary - more observational of the Quark
9. beanpole - fun ditty. great surfer-genre drums with much improving vocals
10. RuediRena - another terrific thermin going against groovy guitars. Love the random dissonant synths
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

01 - Kryptonaut - Monster From The Id
02 - David Stiles - They Came From Outer Space
03 - DH Miltz - Nightmare on Mars
04 - Forw - Voyage to Titania 2
05 - Mr Natural - Tragic Love Affair of a Zombie
06 - Hellfog - Something Is Out There
07 - ClaRago - A Quark is Born
08 - Key88 - Classic SciFi Themes
09 - Nickel Smith - Tell Star Tell
10 - RuediRena - Rockabilly Rebels From Outer Space

01 - Laguna Rising - Attack From L3
02 - Kryptonaut - Monster From The Id
03 - DH Miltz - Nightmare on Mars
04 - Forw - Voyage to Titania 2
05 - Hellfog - Something Is Out There
06 - Key88 - Classic SciFi Themes
07 - Mr Natural - Tragic Love Affair of a Zombie
08 - David Stiles - They Came From Outer Space
09 - Nickel Smith - Tell Star Tell
10 - RuediRena - Rockabilly Rebels From Outer Space

RuediRena
Mister Natural
davidstiles
SoundGoddess
kryptonaut
Laguna Rising
Nickel Smith
Hellfog
forw
D.H.Miltz
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

Hard one to judge this month!

1. forw - Voyage to Titania 2
2. hellfog - Something Is Out There
3. Nickel Smith - Tell Star Tell
4. DHMiltz - Nightmare on Mars
5. LagunaRising - Attack from L3
6. RuediRena - Rockabilly Rebels From Outer Space
7. ClaRago - A Quark is Born
8. davidstiles - They Came From Outer Space
9. beanpole - Little Green Men
10.Mr Natural - Tragic Love Affair of a Zombie

Tough competition! So I tried to quantize the process. Here is my system:

Heavy rotation factor (HRF):
3 - Looking forward to listen again
2 - Quite nice
1 - Want to skip next time

Fits the theme factor (FTTF):
3 - Fits the theme to the tee
2 - Is relatively based on the theme
1 - Is only loosely based on the theme

Production factor (PF):
3 - Pro production
2 - Advanced production
1 - Entry level production

RuediRena's humble thoughts (RHT): Some completely subjective words on your song.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#01 hellfog: Something Is Out There
HRF 3/FTTF 2/PF 3 = 8 flying saucers
RHT: Very spooky! Love the siren and the strange noises. Love the voice in the ending.

#02 beanpole: Little Green Men
HRF 3/FTTF 3/PF 2 = 8 flying saucers
RHT: Would make a great Lo-Fi Indie song, think Guided By Voices. Wish I could sing like that. Somehow this appeals to me.

#03 davidstiles: They Came From Outer Space
HRF 3/FTTF 3/PF 2 = 8 flying saucers
RHT: Could have appeared in any 50s movie. Very well done.

#04 Laguna Rising: Attack from L3
HRF 3/FTTF 1/PF 3 = 7 flying saucers
RHT: Massive noise outbursts turning into an almost charming tune. I like it a lot.

#05 DHMiltz: Nightmare on Mars
HRF 2/FTTF 3/PF 2 = 7 flying saucers
RHT: Yes I can picture/hear this in a 50s soundtrack. Well done.

#06 kryptonaut: Monster From The Id
HRF 2/FTTF 3/PF 2 = 7 flying saucers
RHT: In the beginning I was not so sure about FTTF. But then the Theremin works its charme. I feel that this track needs strings.

#07 Mr. Natural: Tragic Love Affair of a Zombie
HRF 2/FTTF 1/PF 3 = 6 flying saucers
RHT: Sensational opening reminicent of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works. The Zombie theme is definetly not 50ies related in my opinion though.

#08 forw: Voyage to Titania 2
HRF 1/FTTF 2/PF 3 = 6 flying saucers
RHT: Well mixed and all. I am not sure if I see this in context to the theme.

#09 Nickel Smith: Tell Star Tell
HRF 2/FTTF 1/PF 2 = 5 flying saucers
RHT: Quite nice. I feel that this track could have more depth production-wise.

#10 ClaRago: A Quark is Born
HRF 2/FTTF 1/PF 2 = 5 flying saucers
RHT: Nice spacy atmosphere but not really connected to this month's theme.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Sorry, no more points left this time for:

SoundGoddess: 1950's Sci-Fi
HRF 1/FTTF 2/PF 2 = 5 flying saucers
RHT: Rather nice little Theremin melody. I don't like the bass frequencies. Something feels wrong there. The rest is maybe too modern sounding .

Key88: Classic SciFi Themes
HRF 1/FTTF ?/PF 1 = 3-5 flying saucers
RHT: Sorry, but I don't understand the voices. 50 SF-related? Who knows.

Another good month - congratulations to everyone for their contributions!

Without further ado, my top ten:

1) Nickel Smith - Tell, Star, Tell - This one really hit the spot for me. Beautiful ambiance, with lovely string swells punctuated by retro electronic sounds.

2) Kryptonaut - Monsters from the Id - I love Forbidden Planet, and I think your track captures the feel of that soundtrack really well. Nicely done!

3) forw - Voyage to Titania 2 - Spooky, and it has the right set of sounds to feel like sci-fi music of the 50s. Very enjoyable.

4) Mister Natural - The Tragic Love Affair of a Zombie - I really like the concept behind the track, and this is a rhythmically interesting piece. Nice balance between the more organic-sounding bass and the electronic sounds.

5) Clarago - A Quark is Born - Imaginative stuff, and evocative of subatomic particles doing their thing. I'm not totally sure it says 1950s to me, though.

6) Beanpole - Little Green Men - Lately, you've been doing a nice job of integrating acoustic and electronic sounds in a fun way, and this is no exception. Great track!

7) Laguna Rising - Attack from L3 - Definitely eerie, and then a bit funky, and then it evens out into a more gentle kind of sound, which also causes it to lose its "attack" edge. But it's still a good ride.

8) D. H. Miltz - Nightmare on Mars - Really gets the feel of retro sci-fi, and also has sort of a theatrical vibe to it. I almost imagine this being the soundtrack to a sci-fi melodrama on stage. Entertaining stuff.

9) RuediRena - Rockabilly Rebels From Outer Space - Country and sci-fi make an interesting combination here. A creative approach, and well executed.

10) Hellfog - Something IS Out There - Effectively disturbed my peace of mind, which is a good thing for a 50s sci-fi theme. Nice interplay between the bass and the electronic chirping toward the end.

Honourable mention to SoundGoddess and key88 for their creative contributions as well!

Since I lept through the February vote even tho I submitted.... :dog:
I am now voting in a monthly where I did not submit :roll:

Hope thats ok :scared:

THE WINNERS ARE
(DRUM ROLL 11 minutes)

0001 DHMiltz__Nightmare on Mars
0002 LagunaRinsing__Attack from L3
0003 beanpole__Little Green Men
0004 hellfog__Sometyhing Is Out there
0005 kryptonaut__Monster from Id
0006 forw__Voyage to Titania 2
0007 MrNatural__Tragic Love Affair