One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ha. Well, I never even tried anything other than whatever the init patch has as a setting.

Me = Lazy. :?
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein

https://soundcloud.com/groksynth

SoundGoddess: When you export does it ask which range of measures in your arrangement to export? In Ableton, I've found it "automatically" picks a final measure but it doesn't catch all of the fades / reverb tails. For instance it wants to end my current track at bar 139, but that cuts it off suddenly. I have to change it to 141 to catch all of the fading reverbs/delays. So try exporting a slightly longer song and see if it still glitches.

Dithering *should* be on when you do your export, but it's something you might want to play with in case it causes the glitch.

Aside from that, I don't know Bitwig but in Ableton there's a little icon that turns red if you've touched any of the controls that are automated, and it turns off the automation (including in export) until you reset it. So maybe there's something like that, or an "include automation" checkbox on the export or something?

Never mind my reply, it looks like there were lots of messages after that one :)

Does oversampling only make a difference with higher sample rates or is it just this synth? Do we only hear the benefit of oversampling when using higher sample rates? It's weird because for some patches, "best" quality sounds absolutely awful and full of high frequency distortion so I went with the global "per patch" setting since some sound best on "draft" quality...
Yeah, the quality modes on this synth are WEIRD. I checked draft/good/better/best modes on each of my synth parts - some of them sound best on draft, some sound best on "good" or "better". Almost none of them benefit from "best" mode, which is a good thing since it sends my CPU usage off the meter if I use it!

https://soundcloud.com/seth-mendelsohn/ ... ynthmaster

DAW - Digital Performer 8
Sounds from factor presets and community patch pool
Effects from Digital Performer 8 (delay)
20 instances of Synthmaster

I had intended to work on this sooner, but it was a crazy month and I was able to get it done just in time. The track is a bit all over the place, but I had fun along the way.

Synthmaster is great it's solid rep is well earned.

Thanks,
Yavn
Last edited by Yavn on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmoncur wrote: Yeah, the quality modes on this synth are WEIRD. I checked draft/good/better/best modes on each of my synth parts - some of them sound best on draft, some sound best on "good" or "better". Almost none of them benefit from "best" mode, which is a good thing since it sends my CPU usage off the meter if I use it!
The really weird part for me was that i could barely hear any difference between them until tried samplerates above 44.1k, which i just went back to in the end because above that there is a lot of unpleasant high frequency content. i don't get it.

The future is dark........

https://soundcloud.com/loris-solic/lori ... -strongest

Humanity is on the brink of extinction. A vicious enemy of unknown origin, brutal and technologically superior, is harvesting our planet's organic matter without prejudice. The blue planet is dying. The purged, dry ground begs for water as the crimson sky sheds tears of acid. Green has turned into gray and wetness to dust. Pity washes the canyons dry as the cursed sky discharges its lightning fury, giving light to an atmosphere otherwise impenetrable by sun. Bless-ed be the perished for they know-not the agony of life. On the edge of sanity and desperation, one man lies defeated. No longer bound by love-lost, or a desire to survive, he is freed from his earthly tethers. Enveloped in agony and despair, his heart can no longer bear the pain. Thus he relinquished his burden to the void. His soul now empty, he emerges from the shadows, and amidst darkness, he is illuminated by the light of his purpose: He stands to eradicate the alien menace or to lay bleeding in the dust, peacefully awaiting for the wind to sweep away his ashes. A victory, therein, also lies in defeat. In losing his humanity he has instead become an instrument of vengeance. At last, the hope of the planet is not lost. No cause is lost as long as there is one believer to pursue it. The final battle has begun. A new hero is born......this is his story.......this is his legend.....this... is.. his song.

56 instances of Synthmaster Player Full in Reaper

ReaEQ, ReaComp, Reaxcomp, ReaFIR, StereoEnhancer, GlaceVerb, LimiterNO6,

created in bj porter style fashion, atmospheric trance. Hope i can live up to it.

Also just to throw this out there: I was not able to create percussion with the player or for that matter any sounds at all, so i used the demo 15 min at a time until i got all the parameters perfectly right. then I bounced the entire drum section to wav to save cpu and to save myself from resynthesizing a drum every time I access my project. The wav (track long) file has been further processed after it was recorded but that would be just like processing the synthesized drums. Since I rendered out the entire track variability has been preserved. Hope this is ok with everyone, if not then.....i accept disqualification :tu:

ThePresent wrote:@Soundgoddess, I try to figure out what you mean about metatags ;)
I have posted something about the metatag issue already at page 17 of this thread. Here it is:
Mojo42 wrote: To all who are making patches for our OSC bank:
Please add metadata to your presets, otherwise Soundgoddess has to do it and I think she does already enough for us :wink:
Before you save the preset click on the preset tab and add:
Author: Your user name
Bank: OSC #73
then please mark Instrument type, Attributes and Music Style. After this is done just save the preset. The metadata will be added to the preset then and Soundgoddess just needs to put it all together then.
@SoundGoddess: I compared your new Song version with the previous (unmastered) version and I can hear a lot of improvements. The new version has much more clarity and sounds a lot better than the previous version and so I guess you have reached your goal so far :)

But I also wonder about your use of so many tools :o

I recommended TLs Pocket limiter to you, because it has only 2 knobs and so it is probably the most easiest limiter on this whole planet, but it wasn`t meant to use it in addition to limiter 6, but instead of it :lol:

Anyway, it seems you reached your goal so far and I wish you good luck for the contest :)

Cheers
Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Here is my entry

https://soundcloud.com/richard-semper/r ... apparition

Used KV331 Synthmaster Player Free edition plus OSC soundbank.
no of instances - 22

Factory Patches used:
PD Metallic Velcro, Disco Tricky RL, BR Slow Brass MK, FX the Weatherman BT, BA corroded metal, PAD Rainyplex, PLK Winter, LED SingLikePlay, ARP Abyss, ST PWM Strings MK, PD Wondervox, PAD-2013, PL Pulse Plucker BT, PAD Below the Sea MK, SY Urban Decay Chords, PAD Glasiator PAD FN, FX Horror Hits,

OSC Patches used:
House Kick (JK Flashico), 2x Noise(z-prime), PRC Cym Crash 5 AJ (Jasinski), PRC Cym Ride 1 AJ (Jasinski)

DAW Cubase 7.5

Daw Fx used -
1x StudioEQ on master channel, 11x channel eqs,
1x RoomWorks SE - to enhance main deep kick (JK Flashico)
3x Limiter - 2 for deep kicks and 1 for master channel

Third Party Fx -
1x TAL-Reverb-3 - to enhance breathy noise (z-prime)
Voxengo SPAN spectral analyser.

DR=11

For anyone interested the cubase project file is here:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6w1ce16ylkg0 ... 3.zip?dl=0

Many thanks to all the participants who contributed to the OSC bank. Awesome work!
Had great fun with the synthmaster player - it sounds amazing! Full version is definitely on my list of synths to buy.

Thought I'd try something a bit spooky this time, hope you like it :)

ThePresent wrote: Edit: beware of forum debates about dithering :) it's bound to make us nontechs crazy :roll:
:lol:

I am a nontech, but I`m afraid I can`t stay a nontech, at least I can`t, if I wish to produce seriously good sounding music :wink:

I`m reading Bob Katz`s book: "Mastering Audio - The art and the science" right now and he said about Dithering:
(Quote Bob Katz)
"Dither - A process that linearizes digital audio by adding a random noise signal at the point just before wordlength truncation. Dither is required for clean digital audio recording and processing. After dithering, the wordlength can be safely truncated or shortened, but truncation without dithering results in quantization distortion."

"...To prevent this kind of distortion, we use dither, which is a process that mathematically removes the highly undesireable distortions entirely, and replaces them with a fixed noise level."
(Quote end)

Just for those who also don`t wish to stay nontechs :wink:
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
Daodejing verse 37

Phew so many new tracks, am going to have to have a good listen to all of them tommorow.

I am a nontech, but I`m afraid I can`t stay a nontech, at least I can`t, if I wish to produce seriously good sounding music :wink:

I`m reading Bob Katz`s book: "Mastering Audio - The art and the science" right now and he said about Dithering:
(Quote Bob Katz)
"Dither - A process that linearizes digital audio by adding a random noise signal at the point just before wordlength truncation. Dither is required for clean digital audio recording and processing. After dithering, the wordlength can be safely truncated or shortened, but truncation without dithering results in quantization distortion."

"...To prevent this kind of distortion, we use dither, which is a process that mathematically removes the highly undesireable distortions entirely, and replaces them with a fixed noise level."
(Quote end)

Just for those who also don`t wish to stay nontechs :wink:
:tu: Bob Katz is okay, forums about it are not for me 8)

ThePresent wrote: :tu: Bob Katz is okay, forums about it are not for me 8)
Can`t say anything about it, because I don`t know "Bob Katz" forums. I just read the book and until now I think it is more than complicated :lol: I just try to understand from it what is possible to understand for me and I hope it will help me to improve the sound of my tracks.

@Richard Semper: This is shocking no EDM :lol: But the good news: I like it too :D
Good luck for the contest, I`m glad you could make it in time. :)
Daodejing verse 37

Mojo42 wrote:@Richard Semper: This is shocking no EDM :lol: But the good news: I like it too :D
Thank you :)
I do like to try different things, its a good way to learn and hopefully improve.

RichardSemper wrote:
Mojo42 wrote:@Richard Semper: This is shocking no EDM :lol: But the good news: I like it too :D
Thank you :)
I do like to try different things, its a good way to learn and hopefully improve.
:tu: Good idea. I like this approach very much. It is not only good for learning, it is also interesting for the listeners. zprime has a similar approach (as we can hear) and so it is always a great pleasure to check out the "news" at such user accounts and enjoy the nice surprises of listening to various aspects in music. Keep it up!!! I`m curious what is coming up next :)
Daodejing verse 37

Return to “Instruments”