ableton users: have you tried testing your hearing range with live's test tone feature

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

willdub1 wrote:
spaceman wrote:Left ear about 13.5K, right slightly more reaching about 14K.
But I perceive volume slightly lower in my right ear.

I'm 40.
thats not to bad.. its great actually considering that your 40. i doubt you would have any trouble mixing a song since nothing important other than sparkle exits above 14k. also the frequency response isnt as drastic as mine
I'm quite surprised by it actually because I used to play guitar in a progressive metal band. I've been to a hell of a lot of loud concerts as well.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

With the headphone volume all the way up I can hear to 12k; after that it's more like feeling a presence but actually after 14 even that disappears.
I'll be 60 in 3 months.

I'm still up to 16kHz here....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

spaceman wrote:Left ear about 13.5K, right slightly more reaching about 14K.
But I perceive volume slightly lower in my right ear.

I'm 40.
Same here. I also have piercing and frankly debilitating tinnitus, but if you talk about it to anyone they just tell you you're being a hypochondriac. :lol:

All I can say is I'm glad I can still hear, and I love music.

I'm 52 and can still hear up to around 15K in both ears if I'm being honest; at a volume where lower frequencies are loud but comfortable. I tried to do it blind - start at 20k and adjust down until I heard something other than my tinnitus - which I guess is not as bad as I thought, but we can never know what someone else hears. I only really notice mine when I'm thinking about it or it's absolutely silent.

I used Shure 215 buds.

It's interesting because I've played in bands my whole life as an amateur, but almost always wear ear protection. I think even if you're just cutting 10 or 12 db it can make a huge difference. Still, given some of the concerts I've been to, I expected my hearing to be worse.

However, I've never worked/lived in noisy environments. My understanding is that some research points to constant, mid-level noise as being as damaging as the occasional loud concert, etc.. In any case, I've also learned do sound design/tracking at pretty low volumes now (especially since I use headphones/buds a lot), and only turn it up occasionally when mixing, etc.

Also - and can't stress this enough if you're new to production and especially if you use cans/buds: Put a limiter on the master; if you're using Live save it in your default template. One errant plug is all it takes...

Ohh I've tested my cat's, and she hears well..

bluedad wrote:With the headphone volume all the way up I can hear to 12k; after that it's more like feeling a presence but actually after 14 even that disappears.
I'll be 60 in 3 months.
12k is an achievement for someone whose 60.. congrats

willdub1 wrote:
gassle wrote:When using open back headphones for these tests at very high frequencies you might get a certain cancelation/phasing effect at very specific frequencies so sound might feel like it's going left or right. Moving headphone caps on your head, pushing it or pulling it a bit back, even changing your position in a wet room might change those frequencies. If it's closed headphones, that's another matter though.
it was closed back headphones. I wonder what this will mean for me... did you take the test? what was your findings?

Actually I did the test with a couple closed headphones today. And weirdly I seem to have a similar thing. My left ear is like 8db less sensitive to 7.7 khz. (But hears 7.6 and 7.8 perfectly equal to right ear). And my right ear is ~10db less sensitive to 7.9. Same with 2 pairs of different brand headphones and when I reverse the headphones. But my hearing goes well up to 17 khz after that with no other similar gaps. :P
"when you have nothing to say - shut up." -A friend of Luc Besson

gassle wrote:
willdub1 wrote:
gassle wrote:When using open back headphones for these tests at very high frequencies you might get a certain cancelation/phasing effect at very specific frequencies so sound might feel like it's going left or right. Moving headphone caps on your head, pushing it or pulling it a bit back, even changing your position in a wet room might change those frequencies. If it's closed headphones, that's another matter though.
it was closed back headphones. I wonder what this will mean for me... did you take the test? what was your findings?

Actually I did the test with a couple closed headphones today. And weirdly I seem to have a similar thing. My left ear is like 8db less sensitive to 7.7 khz. (But hears 7.6 and 7.8 perfectly equal to right ear). And my right ear is ~10db less sensitive to 7.9. Same with 2 pairs of different brand headphones and when I reverse the headphones. But my hearing goes well up to 17 khz after that with no other similar gaps. :P
You're lucky though. The frequencies aren't that far apart so you shouldn't hear that much of a difference. Mines at 6k left ear and 10k right ear. So I'm probably hearing things way out of phase or in an different stereo spread than most people and don't even know it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”