Questions on Korg's Legacy plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bought that thing today. Had to install it three times till it finally showed up in the VST folder under Programs. But my DAW did not find it when I added that folder to it. So I copied and pasted the dll from that folder to my default VST folder, and voila, the DAW found it. How can that be?!

Also, is it ok to simply copy that dll file to another location? Judging from its small size, the samples must be somewhere else, i.e. not inside the dll, right? It does make sounds, though. Does that mean that the dll - no matter where it is - automatically knows where to look for the samples and paths are redirected accordingly?

Finally, during registration it says I have to copy the license code from the site into the VST's registration screen. But when I copied the code from their site and was about to paste it into the VST, the screen was already gone and it already seemed registered (it works, no prompts or whatever). I don't see any button on the VST that lets me check whether or not registration is complete.

Seldom seen such a messy installation and registration process. Hard to believe they are Japanese 8)
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Bought that thing today. Had to install it three times till it finally showed up in the VST folder under Programs. But my DAW did not find it when I added that folder to it. So I copied and pasted the dll from that folder to my default VST folder, and voila, the DAW found it. How can that be?!

Also, is it ok to simply copy that dll file to another location? Judging from its small size, the samples must be somewhere else, i.e. not inside the dll, right? It does make sounds, though. Does that mean that the dll - no matter where it is - automatically knows where to look for the samples and paths are redirected accordingly?

Finally, during registration it says I have to copy the license code from the site into the VST's registration screen. But when I copied the code from their site and was about to paste it into the VST, the screen was already gone and it already seemed registered (it works, no prompts or whatever). I don't see any button on the VST that lets me check whether or not registration is complete.

Seldom seen such a messy installation and registration process. Hard to believe they are Japanese 8)
I think I can help you here even though it's been a while since I got the Korg Legacy Collection and installed it.

As for the M1 itself, there are 2 files. One is the dll itself and the other is the dat file which I will assume holds all the data associated with the dll itself.

In the install, if it didn't give you an option of where to install it, it will put it in your vstplugins folder in a Korg subfolder on your C drive. Now, if that Korg folder isn't part of your DAW plugins path (which it won't be on install), it won't show up. Moving it to the folder you normally keep your stuff is what eventually got it to show up. The other alternative was to add the path to your DAW where Korg put the plugin. That includes the Korg subfolder.

Oh, BTW, I figured out what you meant about finding out why nobody talks about Tera 3. I am finding a lot of things that just don't work plus no support response.

Is that about it?

Anyway, hope the above helps.

About registration, many VSTs sense clipboard and pick it up without intervention.
So once copied to clipboard, you are done probably.

The rest, no idea....

lfm wrote:About registration, many VSTs sense clipboard and pick it up without intervention.

The rest, no idea....
Wow, that's interesting, never happened to me before :)

wagtunes wrote:As for the M1 itself, there are 2 files. One is the dll itself and the other is the dat file which I will assume holds all the data associated with the dll itself.

In the install, if it didn't give you an option of where to install it, it will put it in your vstplugins folder in a Korg subfolder on your C drive. Now, if that Korg folder isn't part of your DAW plugins path (which it won't be on install), it won't show up. Moving it to the folder you normally keep your stuff is what eventually got it to show up. The other alternative was to add the path to your DAW where Korg put the plugin. That includes the Korg subfolder.

Oh, BTW, I figured out what you meant about finding out why nobody talks about Tera 3. I am finding a lot of things that just don't work plus no support response.

Is that about it?

Yes, I had added the new VST subfolder to my DAW, but it did not find anything in it. Strange, especially since the DAW found the new folder itself when searching my computer for folders with VST's inside.

So far I can access a whole lot of sounds although I have moved the dll file (no dat file). Seems I can access them all, wherever they are :) Many of them do sound very good, some sounds remind me of songs where they were probably used. They did use a bit too much reverb on most patches.

Sorry to hear that, you seemed so excited about that Tera thingy...

lfm wrote:About registration, many VSTs sense clipboard and pick it up without intervention.

The rest, no idea....

Many ? Name one..............
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:As for the M1 itself, there are 2 files. One is the dll itself and the other is the dat file which I will assume holds all the data associated with the dll itself.

Is that about it?

Yes, I had added the new VST subfolder to my DAW, but it did not find anything in it. Strange, especially since the DAW found the new folder itself when searching my computer for folders with VST's inside.

So far I can access a whole lot of sounds although I have moved the dll file (no dat file). Seems I can access them all, wherever they are :) Many of them do sound very good, some sounds remind me of songs where they were probably used. They did use a bit too much reverb on most patches.

Sorry to hear that, you seemed so excited about that Tera thingy...
I was actually under the impression from your comment that this was something you already knew (about Tera 3) and were trying to warn me in a round about way. But maybe I just read too much into it.

Anyway, I shouldn't be too surprised. It's a 10 year old VST so it was unlikely to work in its entirety on my relatively new system. Shame, because design wise, it's my dream VST. I wish somebody would put something like that together with an up to date sound engine and rock solid programming.

But who am I kidding? Ain't ever gonna happen.

Ingo told me where I can change the path, I reinstalled it, now everything is where and how it should be :) I even changed my monitor resolution just because of it, squares are not really square anymore, but so be it...

Boy, some of those patches are still awesome, the best 50 dollars (interestingly, Korg does not add any VAT or a higher euro price for EU customers, that's really nice) I ever spent for music stuff :) And I have not even tried all patches, yet, just a tiny fraction.
Funny, now I have the Sylenth-M1 combo, both of which ancient stuff, yet perfect for me :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Ingo told me where I can change the path, I reinstalled it, now everything is where and how it should be :) I even changed my monitor resolution just because of it, squares are not really square anymore, but so be it...

Boy, some of those patches are still awesome, the best 50 dollars (interestingly, Korg does not add any VAT or a higher euro price for EU customers, that's really nice) I ever spent for music stuff :) And I have not even tried all patches, yet, just a tiny fraction.
Funny, now I have the Sylenth-M1 combo, both of which ancient stuff, yet perfect for me :)
The M1 is a very faithful recreation of the original. If you like it you will probably also like the Wavestation and MS-20 which are frightfully authentic. Hearing the Wavestation for the first time, it was literally identical to the one I had. And the MS-20 has the best filters you will ever find on a VST.

Korg did a great job with these.

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Ingo told me where I can change the path, I reinstalled it, now everything is where and how it should be :) I even changed my monitor resolution just because of it, squares are not really square anymore, but so be it...

The M1 is a very faithful recreation of the original. If you like it you will probably also like the Wavestation and MS-20 which are frightfully authentic. Hearing the Wavestation for the first time, it was literally identical to the one I had. And the MS-20 has the best filters you will ever find on a VST.

I agree, also owned and worked with most of the hardware.

Some of the best re-creations of vintage synths.

wagtunes wrote:The M1 is a very faithful recreation of the original. If you like it you will probably also like the Wavestation and MS-20 which are frightfully authentic. Hearing the Wavestation for the first time, it was literally identical to the one I had. And the MS-20 has the best filters you will ever find on a VST.

I only wanted to buy one synth that would complement Sylenth, i.e. give me what Sylenth doesn't because it simply can't due to its type. I was torn between the Wavestation and the M1, but decided on the latter because I have read that it is more musical.

I don't know the MS 20, but it is yet another analog-type synth, I already have that terrain covered with Sylenth. Nor do I need faithful emulations, I simply want good sound quality at low CPU usage.
I actually think it is good to have one Korg and one non-Korg as they are more likely to stay out of each other's way. And my first experiments confirm that :) Synth bass from Sylenth and pad from M1, sounds very good and transparent together without my even touching the EQ in the DAW.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The M1 is a very faithful recreation of the original. If you like it you will probably also like the Wavestation and MS-20 which are frightfully authentic. Hearing the Wavestation for the first time, it was literally identical to the one I had. And the MS-20 has the best filters you will ever find on a VST.

I only wanted to buy one synth that would complement Sylenth, i.e. give me what Sylenth doesn't because it simply can't due to its type. I was torn between the Wavestation and the M1, but decided on the latter because I have read that it is more musical.

I don't know the MS 20, but it is yet another analog-type synth, I already have that terrain covered with Sylenth. Nor do I need faithful emulations, I simply want good sound quality at low CPU usage.
I actually think it is good to have one Korg and one non-Korg as they are more likely to stay out of each other's way. And my first experiments confirm that :) Synth bass from Sylenth and pad from M1, sounds very good and transparent without even touching the EQ.
M1 = More traditional sounds if a little dated by today's standards.

Wavestation = More exotic sounds.

Neither are you going to find in any of today's modern synths, They're from a totally different era. I had my Wavestation for about 30 years before I finally sold it when going all PC.

What a sound that had. Like nothing on the planet.

Yeah, well, I am old and hopelessly old-skool, so that dinosaur sound is perfect for me :hihi:
Of course I would use something else if I planned to get into the charts, but I don't :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yeah, well, I am old and hopelessly old-skool, so that dinosaur sound is perfect for me :hihi:
Chances are you'll love the whole Korg bundle in that case. I got a great upgrade deal from the M1 LE to the full collection during the recent sale. I'm loving the Poly-Six ... :love:

GUIs could be bigger ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Yeah, well, I am old and hopelessly old-skool, so that dinosaur sound is perfect for me :hihi:
Chances are you'll love the whole Korg bundle in that case. I got a great upgrade deal from the M1 LE to the full collection during the recent sale. I'm loving the Poly-Six ... :love:

GUIs could be bigger ...
Oh yes, the Poly-Six is very nice, it is my favorite Korg analog synth :)

I have reduced my monitor resolution to 1366x768, which is a bit absurd on my Full HD monitor, but at least I can read everything on the GUI now.

Return to “Instruments”