[VST/AU] Realtime Guitar to Midi Converter - Bituosity MiGiC (Free Beta)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

izonin wrote:
philipkarlsson wrote:Well, you spoke and I listened...

A new version of MiGiC is available for download at http://www.bituosity.com and this version is equipped with a midi out pin eliminating the need for MiGiC helper and rtpMidi(No longer bundled or required).

Good luck and happy beta testing :)
Hey, it's nice that you fixed it!

Testing it here shows latencies of ~20ms for the low E string and ~5ms for the high E. This is pretty much the same as the Sonuus!
Thank you for taking the time to perform the measurements, I didn't have any previous results from Windows. When I did the measurements on OS X I think I got a little shorter values, of course this depends on how you chose to set the speed parameter :) What buffer size and "speed" did you use for your measurement?

Cheers,
Philip

Update OS X:

I have now uploaded a patch for OS X which allows systems running at least OS X 10.7+ to run the AU. If someone has 10.6 I would also be very interested to find out if it is possible to run MiGiC on such system. The patch is available now at http://www.bituosity.com as MiGiC for OS X beta 2.1

Good luck,
/P

philipkarlsson wrote:What buffer size and "speed" did you use for your measurement?
The ASIO buffer was set to 64 samples @44KHz. I used the default speed of 75, because at 100 the tracking of the lowest notes wasn't perfect.

Migic has the lowest latency of any guitar-to-midi VST I've tried. Well done!

Just downloaded again but it still doesn't show up.

I still haven't tested it but now that the midi out pin is there in the VST I definitely will, this seems awesome :)

I tried to look at the webpage but couldn't find out if there's any lookahed when working in non-realtime? I think that in most situations I'd be perfectly fine with recording e.g. a bass riff in the "normal" way and then just using MiGiC to get a MIDI sequence from it. That would be hugely convenient, I find it hard to be as creative when dragging blocks around on a screen compared to when I'm actually playing and have instant feedback so I'll sometimes record something and then program following that. Of course that programming is really tedious so something like this would be awesome for that kind of workflow, if one has a bit of lookahead I guess one should be able to get more or less perfectly synced MIDI even with really low-pitched stuff?

It works you record a track, add MiGiC to it, and then use that MIDI input on another track to record the MIDI on playback. Very cool.

G

izonin wrote:
Migic has the lowest latency of any guitar-to-midi VST I've tried. Well done!
Well that's not true. I haven't fired up Midi Guitar in a while, so I don't recall about that - but Triple Play I can set the Win Audio drivers down to 94s with no hitches only because I'm using an old Pentium D/Win7 32 with onboard audio. ASIO drivers work just fine at 256s, again I can't go lower because of my PC, but obviously driver capacity is a factor besides just samples/sec. And I'm not a great player, so I don't know what problems ya all are havin with.....such high sample rates.....

Anyways, this looks AWful impressive. However, on preliminary installation (I don't have a guitar in on this PC, I just wanted to see whether it installed), I got these error messages. It does show up and load in Reaper, though. I'm using Win7 32.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neshel wrote: Well that's not true. I haven't fired up Midi Guitar in a while, so I don't recall about that - but Triple Play I can set the Win Audio drivers down to 94s with no hitches only because I'm using an old Pentium D/Win7 32 with onboard audio. ASIO drivers work just fine at 256s, again I can't go lower because of my PC, but obviously driver capacity is a factor besides just samples/sec. And I'm not a great player, so I don't know what problems ya all are havin with.....such high sample rates.....

Anyways, this looks AWful impressive. However, on preliminary installation (I don't have a guitar in on this PC, I just wanted to see whether it installed), I got these error messages. It does show up and load in Reaper, though. I'm using Win7 32.
This does not sound like a fair comparison. If you use a buffer size of 256 you will get additional latency regardless of how good/bad the software is. Do you use ASIO4ALL? (since you are using an integrated sound card). I guess the triple play does the conversion for you in hardware, thus no extra computational power is required from your computer.

I have not seen this error before, but Im guessing since the 32 bit DLL was successfully installed there might have been som error installing the 64 bit, perhaps since your on a 32 bit system. Anyway great that you got the VST to work, would still like to know what performance you get provided that you have a significantly low buffer size (otherwise it doesn't say that much.)

Thank you,
Philip

Status Update:

I am currently working on the next beta release of MiGiC and I plan to release this in about a week. I have so far fixed a lot of bugs, for instance, that MiGiC forget its settings if you restart the GUI..

The biggest news is that I have added a new panel called audio. I have now made MiGiC a stereo plugin so in this panel you can easily select channel, apply preprocessing such as gain, filtering and compression. I have also included buttons so that you can change between conversion for bass and guitar. This version will also feature a VU meter so that you get visual feedback on signal strength in MiGiC and a monitor out switch for the dry/wet signal.

These features are added from your input and I am very grateful for all the feedback I have received this far. Thank you!!

/P

Hi Philip / KVRsters,

I look forward to the update. (I emailed Philip tonight with my roundup of an initial blast of MiGiC on Sonar X3 (Producer)).

I see that @planetearth on page 2 is a Sonar user too. '2015' or X3 (or older)? Did the VSTs work for you? - not for me. I assumed it to be related to the multi-ins which I understand may be addressed with '2015'. I have bought '2015' Platinum but am yet to install (after a good inventory and backup).

I got Standalone going but after extensive play with Sens/Speed (and Gain from the Sonar console strip), results were mixed at best at this stage (but clearly promising). Sonar does include Celemony Melodyne (Essential version - monophonic) which does a MIDI conversion well ... but is not realtime. Whilst this can be added to the FXbin of an audio track it is also able to be applied as a 'Region FX' on a clip (likely Sonar specific ... but something for later on / to keep in mind.)

Thanks for your efforts Philip - keen to follow/assist the progress.

How will this be different from the other one that jumped from free to $99?

I just read your post more thoroughly @planetearth.

Question re VSTs working still floats ... but ...

I see you're X3 (Win 7, x64) ... I'm X3 (Win8, x64/x32).

I had no such issues with velocities. I may have adjusted Gain.

I had no such Synth Roulette. I tried and used Rapture, Dimension and Z3TA+ 2.

arkmabat wrote:How will this be different from the other one that jumped from free to $99?
This is a reasonable question! For starters Bituosity is a one man operation consisting of me and I don't need charge $99 for it.. (it will probably cost less than half when the full version is released). I am creating MiGiC so I can combine my passion both for playing guitar and programming thus, my main intention is not to make a lot of money. The money that I would potentially make will be invested in the company so I can continue creating plugins. (I have a really cool guitar-synth in the prototype stage which benefits from the algorithms of MiGiC, if MiGiC is successful I will also release this..).

Compared to the competition I want MiGiC to be less CPU-intensive, faster, more user friendly and most important of all to be designed by listening to what you want!

Hope that explains my view and vision for MiGiC.

Best regards,
Philip

ShellstaX wrote:Hi Philip / KVRsters,

I look forward to the update. (I emailed Philip tonight with my roundup of an initial blast of MiGiC on Sonar X3 (Producer)).

I see that @planetearth on page 2 is a Sonar user too. '2015' or X3 (or older)? Did the VSTs work for you? - not for me. I assumed it to be related to the multi-ins which I understand may be addressed with '2015'. I have bought '2015' Platinum but am yet to install (after a good inventory and backup).

I got Standalone going but after extensive play with Sens/Speed (and Gain from the Sonar console strip), results were mixed at best at this stage (but clearly promising). Sonar does include Celemony Melodyne (Essential version - monophonic) which does a MIDI conversion well ... but is not realtime. Whilst this can be added to the FXbin of an audio track it is also able to be applied as a 'Region FX' on a clip (likely Sonar specific ... but something for later on / to keep in mind.)

You will definitely achieve better results using the VST-plugin. I have other reports of user having a hard time using MiGiC + Sonar. I am fairly sure that this has to do with the "only 1 input and 1 output" setup. The next beta supports 2 channel in and stereo out. I am pretty confident that this fix the error and make MiGiC play nice with Sonar. I am currently working very hard with the next version (screens available at http://www.bituosity.com). Keep posted, hopefully I will have a release by the end of next week! Thank you very much for participating in this very early beta.

ShellstaX wrote:Hi Philip / KVRsters,

It worked for me using Sonar X3 (64-bit). I installed rtpMIDI, configured it as a MIDI input to drive my synth, and then ran MiGiC Helper.

I imagine the latest version of Sonar would be the same as my experience with X3, since Sonar 2015 and Windows don't supply anything similar to rtpMIDI.

Phillip has since made some changes to the plug-in, and I haven't had a chance to try them yet. With a new version coming out this week (thanks for your hard work, Phillip!), I'll wait until that's released to try it.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Instruments”