I gave up on Spectrasonics Stylus RMX 2. Tips?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reading other forums with posts dating back to 2008, 2009, ect.. (basically 5+ years ago) with speculation about Stylus receiving the 'Omnisphere treatment' with better file organization, new content, new features, ect... and so far 2013 nothing at all new despite Mr. Persing saying things along the lines of 'We've got big things in the works' a few years ago... Well I've given up. No more waiting. I just bought Stylus RMX Xpanded.

What I really want to know is, what features are the gems of this plugin? Surely I did not just buy a $400 bundle of drum loops with some basic FX/slicing ability, groove/time sig matching, and random chaos thingy, in 2013...or did I? (My DAW can do that for free). I've read that 'Kit Mode' doesn't even work for the XPANDER packs (no one shots in the Xpanders??).

Fill me in please. What's in RMX that even in 2013 will blow me away? Yes I am aware there are lots of topics/posts about Stylus, but they address things that may have been cool/new in 2006, but not necessarily 2013. Hope I didn't waste my money. :help:

If you haven't already, I suggest you check out John Lehmkuhl's video reviews and tutorials. He's made a whole bunch of them.

You can access them from his site:
http://www.pluginguru.com/guru-videos/p ... wer-review
or via his YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/thepluginguru?feature=watch

The videos on Spectrasonic's site are also good, but Lehmkuhl's taught me a number of useful tricks.

Cheers,

/Trahast
Sigs are for siggies

Thanks for the tips! Already in about 20 minutes of use I have been converted from a "NO LOOPS!" kind of guy into a "WHERE'S MORE LOOPS!?" guy. Stylus makes it so fun to mangle loops easily and the drag and drop MIDI feature is fantastic- the MIDI data represents exactly what you've created in Stylus and allows you to further manipulate your pattern in your piano roll. So fun.

With that said... it is 2013 and there's much more visually helpful products out there. Check into SLICE-X by Image-Line, a great plugin for working with loops. And if you also use FL Studio as your host, when you drop the MIDI data into a piano roll, you can actually rename the keys that trigger those samples to make it easier to create your sliced beats in piano roll.

STYLUS RMX needs a major update: Omnisphere/Trilian type of treatment with overall navigation and organization, more visuals and ease of slicing (again, look into SLICE-X). I hope it comes soon.

Anyway, I have to give a thumbs up to ZZounds for shipping this QUICK. I was SUPER surprised to see this at my door today. It arrived basically in about 24 hours from Nevada to the far west coast of California with free shipping.

GMusic wrote: STYLUS RMX needs a major update: Omnisphere/Trilian type of treatment with overall navigation and organization, more visuals and ease of slicing (again, look into SLICE-X). I hope it comes soon.
It´s 2015 and still no update.
I am personally really dissapointed and :evil:
This is getting ridiculous.
My personal opinion, so don´t jump on me and tell me how great Stylus still is. :hihi:

zickzack66 wrote:
GMusic wrote: STYLUS RMX needs a major update: Omnisphere/Trilian type of treatment with overall navigation and organization, more visuals and ease of slicing (again, look into SLICE-X). I hope it comes soon.
It´s 2015 and still no update.
I am personally really dissapointed and :evil:
This is getting ridiculous.
My personal opinion, so don´t jump on me and tell me how great Stylus still is. :hihi:
Glenn said in the Omnisphere 2 thread "never say never" when asked about updates to Stylus.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

This is what Tony TonyChopper (Gol, I think) wrote in another thread about Slicex (the thread about it being for free with the German Beat mag):
Slicex surely doesn't lack of features, it's just that they haven't been noticed yet.

-layering of drums to the same key, with velocity, mod, random or cycling mapping. Auto-layering based on region names.

-scratching individual drums using a multipoint envelope

-various score reconstruction modes (granted, it's harder using the VST as you have to export/drag MIDI files, but that's the only way using the VST specs)

-per-slice offsets, velocity/random/etc-mappable

-integrated audio editor (Edison)

-quick ways to layer deck(s) to kb (like white keys for a drumloop, black for the other)

-various 'gaps' reconstruction modes

& then the usual features, per-slice envelope/filter, etc.
I don't have the FL Studio version yet, only the VST one, and haven't had much time to play with it, but it does look pretty powerful

GMusic wrote:What I really want to know is, what features are the gems of this plugin? Surely I did not just buy a $400 bundle of drum loops with some basic FX/slicing ability, groove/time sig matching, and random chaos thingy, in 2013...or did I? (My DAW can do that for free). I've read that 'Kit Mode' doesn't even work for the XPANDER packs (no one shots in the Xpanders??).

Fill me in please. What's in RMX that even in 2013 will blow me away? Yes I am aware there are lots of topics/posts about Stylus, but they address things that may have been cool/new in 2006, but not necessarily 2013. Hope I didn't waste my money. :help:
Edit Groups. They seem so mundane at first. But they really set RMX apart, particularly when mix and matching loops/kits. You don't really need the kit mode – edit groups let you do much of what you'd probably want kit mode for.

And Time Designer. Still special after all these years.

Edit: Just realised it's a necro thread.

Edit: Just realised it's a necro thread.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Yeah, funny isn´t it, but the topic is still sooo up to date which is kinda grotesque :dog:
It felt odd to start a new thread talking about this. It´s like :party: :dog: :hyper: , you know
what I mean :wink:
Time Designer. Still special after all these years.
Yes, but for me personally this doesn´t compensate the things I find "too old" meanwhile, like overall handling, etc., above and everywhere else mentioned. Doesn´t a software in this price range deserve a major update? When we look at other comparable software we get an idea how a Stylus RMX 2 should look like.

There *has* to be something coming, because I can't imagine that all Spectrasonics have been doing for the last five years is adding a few new synthesis and interface options to Omnisphere, and re-categorising all it's sounds again...

beely wrote:There *has* to be something coming, because I can't imagine that all Spectrasonics have been doing for the last five years is adding a few new synthesis and interface options to Omnisphere, and re-categorising all it's sounds again...
Probably not. Maybe discussing saturation strategies for the coming markets?
Of course, Summer Trade Show is around the corner now.
Maybe they're working on delivering a teaser to what they're working on for 2016. :hihi:

In 2015, Stylus RMX is still 16bit/44khz...

mebaru wrote:In 2015, Stylus RMX is still 16bit/44khz...
Show me a kick drum sample that requires a 24-bit dynamic range, or with substantial energy at frequencies above 20K...

(Don't bother, you won't find one).

Don't get seduced by the "bigger numbers are better" game...

zickzack66 wrote:When we look at other comparable software we get an idea how a Stylus RMX 2 should look like.
Actually that's the odd thing - I really don't. I bought Breaktweaker a while ago cos I too was impatient for fresher sounds and some new workflow ideas, but I think it's an awful program. Battery 4 is much better than 3, but it feels like a wasted opportunity, with no integration with a groove engine. I'll be honest I've never looked closely at the likes of Geist, because the overviews are so headache-inducing. Even though many of the sounds in RMX show their age, as a piece of software I still far prefer it to anything else out there. Time Designer in particular is still a thing of wonder.

An update or replacement product is coming though. Eric said in black and white recently that it and Trilian both have upgrades in the works. I've said before what I imagine the update will be, and it's not based on anyone else's product, but based on how Spectrasonics works - very musical, very intuitive. Stuff like a new core library and a tag browser is easy to predict, but I think we'll see some revolutionary stuff. Specifically, I think we'll see a real blurring of the lines between loops and midi / one shots. I think the loops will be more intelligently broken down into their parts - kick, snare, hat etc - and you'll be able to swap out elements with other grooves or one shots. I think they'll extend Omni 2 concepts like sound match - finding similar grooves, locking elements from one etc.

It's being a very long and infuriating wait. It's raised my expectations to an absurd level. With Omni 2 they've been more than met though - here's hoping that when it finally comes around for Stylus, they'll be met too. Breaktweaker felt like the kind of product you get when you have a good idea but don't take the time develop it properly - in a way it's a warning of what a rushed Stylus update might look like. I'm as impatient as anyone, but I do realise that the time and care is what makes Spectrasonics special. If Stylus 2 is not revolutionary, it will disappoint.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

stylus rmx is still awesome, and they just did omni 2, so that's probably why there's no rush to stylus 2

it's not like anyone *needs* stylus 2. you can do drums for the rest of your life with rmx.

and apparently spectrasonics is okay with delivering something that artists can use for the rest of their lives, instead of trapping people in a never ending upgrade hamster wheel

Yes! I give up on everything in a random cycle and then come back round to rediscovering it. It's a form of... I forget what I'm doing sometimes.

Where?

Return to “Instruments”