Tutorial for making weird noises with modular systems

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Definitely no MIDI - I've been making it 100% generative and figuring out how to make certain sounds, but not quite sure how to make it quite as way out as some people can.

Attenuators isn't something I thought of. I'll have to look into that.

I'll check out the YouTube links - thanks!
Sweet child in time...

Can you be more specific about those certain sounds?
aka rktic. demoscener, sound designer, ux-dude, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

A good example would be Silver Apples of the Moon by Subotnik. Some of it I can guess beforehand how it's made, and some of it I can get to by trial and error, but for want of a better description, some of the more weird passages I can't really figure out.

Not just Subotnik though. I've got pretty good at figuring out the bread and butter stuff that you might hear used in more mainstream music, but I'm really trying to figure out how to do things like make metallic tapping noises, pulsing noises with weird envelopes, delay-like percussive passages, etc.

Weird wibbly-wobbly sounds and maybe some advice on creating feedback loops is what I'm looking for. Mostly just being pointed in the right direction then I'll figure the rest out.
Sweet child in time...

As far as the early effects are concerned you're looking for a tape delay and a spring reverb. You can also mix envelopes in the 6x mixer you've got there. Subotnik was also an avid Buchla user, reading into west coast synthesis should give you more starting points. Meaning: no scales, no filters.

FYI: Morton Subotniks interview from I dream of wires:

https://vimeo.com/75795354
aka rktic. demoscener, sound designer, ux-dude, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

Yes, the delay I have, but not a good spring reverb. I'm not looking to replicate anything that he did, but want to get to some of the weirder stuff that I can't figure out.

I'll listen to the interview - thanks!
Sweet child in time...

There's also the lovely Buchla 100 manual with many patch examples: http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Buchla%2 ... Manual.pdf

The other ingredients of "Silver apples of the Moon" that i can spot are frequency and ring modulation btw. And that's about it. Is there any synth in Reason that allows for FM up to audio rates? That is: feeding one VCO into Pitch of another and still sounding halfway good?

The Buchla has a certain kind of sound of its own in that regard.

I think I'm getting there and getting all these clues as to how to get there is really helpful.

The Buchla manual is certainly going to be useful! Thanks!

As for attenuators, I realized that the CV merger and splitter has attenuator knobs on there, so I have an attenuator to try out!
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”