Hobby or Passion?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And yea try to see which road is gonna be more fun and more productive

Don't Just like my stuff, in the same time to hate, just be a constructive criticizer, you'll make me much better :)

SoundGoddess wrote: Life doesn't have to just be all-or-nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pm4fQRl72k
I personally found this (free) book to be very insightful:
http://www.gurusoftware.com/GuruNet/Boo ... seInfo.htm
[/quote]

^^
Very cool read!
๐ŸŒ Spotify ๐Ÿ”ต Soundcloud ๐ŸŒ€ Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

As someone once said
"I'm a fire putter outer, twisted fire putter outer...."
or something like that.
Do both, like another poster has put, if you do it for a job it may take the passion out of it.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Music is clearly my passion. I have composed something just about every day for the past 40 years. Much of it was throwaway stuff that, perhaps, led to the next thing that I would work on. But the point is, the music would be at least some part of my day, EVERY day. Still is.

I was lucky that I was able to go with other opportunities and keep music as a hobby. Sometimes I do the "what if" game, but overall, I think I played it just right.

Like many here, it's part of my DNA. It keeps me centered. And, perhaps more importantly, it has, I believe, kept me off the psychiatrist's couch. Life, generally speaking, can get away from you at times. Things happen that are beyond your control. But in the studio, I call the shots. I have complete control. The composition, the instrumentation, the sound, the effects--all my choices. And, should I make a bad choice, the worst that can happen is I just start a fresh track.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote: Sometimes I do the "what if" game, but overall, I think I played it just right.
No point doing what-if games -- it's a done deal. If you didn't say to heck with it to the 9-5 and raising a family and moving to the burbs by your mid 20s then the time has now passed. You are in as new stage in your life. :tu:
๐ŸŒ Spotify ๐Ÿ”ต Soundcloud ๐ŸŒ€ Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Very cool read!
Thanks, I'll take this as my spiritual nudge to read thru it again since it was like a year in a half ago that I posted that ;)
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Music and sound design has kept me sane. Making my own music is a very therapeutic outlet for me and i find it fascinating and exciting on a daily basis.
:borg:

Nothing kills a passion faster than being forced to do it, aka making it your job.

So yah, do both like all of the rest of us.

As far as the surgeon vs. the fishing guide I'd need more info to determine who was more successful. If the surgeon dies the day after he retires I'd say he got screwed and the fish guide was more successful. However if the surgeon lives a nice retirement for 20+ years doing what he wants with ample $$ to fund it while the guide ends up in a shitty nursing home miserable for much of those last 20 years I think the surgeon was more successful.

Being broke sucks, being a slave sucks just as much, even worse is being both!

What happened with the OP? No more posts since 1 1/2 years? Maybe he got lost in a wild fire? :scared:

DodgingRain wrote:Nothing kills a passion faster than being forced to do it, aka making it your job.
:tu:
Though many people are different in that regard. Some people's passion+job is in banking, PR, HR, sales, etc.
Great for them, but I can't relate to that AT ALL. :o
I'm happy with an ok job, few hours, ok pay, and I can forget about it when the day is over. I wish I didn't have to, but it also makes my free time more valuable.

DodgingRain wrote:Nothing kills a passion faster than being forced to do it, aka making it your job.
No kidding. That's the main reason I gave up my former career as a musician to pursue the sciences (i.e., my dream job since I was a kid). Music was always one of my great passions, but once it became my job, the joy and satisfaction dwindled very quickly. I'm sure that's not the case for every artist and I know of many people who love having their passion also be their job, but it seems to be pretty common.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Return to โ€œGetting Started (AKA What is the best...?)โ€