2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

I just had a wild thought for the more graphically inclined among us:
Take a screen capture of the midi piano roll and scale it vertically to align with your chosen scale in KS. It would still require some skilled work in a graphics application to get it into "stereo" colors and minimize other "noise" like the grid, etc. that would be in the original screen cap. This would allow a more controlled melodic progression (I think), especially when using chords. Anyone wanna try it? :?:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Galbanum wrote:Yes, and actually something I did not realize initially, is that using Host=64 and KS=2048 is actually WORSE than using Host=64 and KS=64.

Host = 64, KS = 2048 will give the absolute worst performance for realtime.

I"m a decent pianist, and I find 256-sample latency mostly tolerable personally... Especially for non-virtuoso type of material as would be most common to be fed into something like KS. Whole note or half note chords, or melodies of 1/8th and 1/4th seem perfectly fine to me at 256 samples. Even 16th aren't too bad IMHO. YMMV.
Worked fine for me at 256/256, (21ms roundtrip) with 64 resonators playing guitar in some interesting effects, but I had some issues with dynamics (I think it will take me some time to really work out what is going on!) - Great fun, on my shopping list....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Processing some percussion instruments (Rainmaker and Waterfall) with Kaleidoscope using images made with ArtMatic and a lydian tuning file to shape the resonators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMdKA8fNXrg

A short tune involving some instances of KS (as well as Aether, Valhallashimmer, Sknote DDD, Mda detune)

A polyrithmic experience with a still rough mix at this stage

https://soundcloud.com/perbuatan1883/out-of-chaos

Still looking at the present time for interesting dry/wet configuration that isn't perhaps too invading in the mix, but i must admit that it isn't much perhaps a main use for KS

@Sampleconstruct : very instructive footage, as usual, can see how such bright ands inharmonic soundsources fits very well into KS (i'd say similar in some aspects with the included white noise source)

SLiC wrote: Worked fine for me at 256/256, (21ms roundtrip) with 64 resonators playing guitar in some interesting effects, but I had some issues with dynamics (I think it will take me some time to really work out what is going on!) - Great fun, on my shopping list....
Def consider putting a compressor after KS when feeding it normal musical signals. The Glue, Presswork, and Waves V-Comp are good choices.

Also try lower feedback, and optionally mix in some "White"...

Krakatau wrote:A short tune involving some instances of KS (as well as Aether, Valhallashimmer, Sknote DDD, Mda detune)

Still looking at the present time for interesting dry/wet configuration that isn't perhaps too invading in the mix, but i must admit that it isn't much perhaps a main use for KS

@Sampleconstruct : very instructive footage, as usual, can see how such bright ands inharmonic soundsources fits very well into KS (i'd say similar in some aspects with the included white noise source)
Are those transients near the beginning digitally clipped signals from the sum total of the output from the effects chain? I find it a bit difficult to predict the likely dynamic range for a particular set of inputs in Kaleidoscope, so use as much headroom as I can before routing to the compressor/limiter.

Nightpolymath wrote:
Krakatau wrote:A short tune involving some instances of KS (as well as Aether, Valhallashimmer, Sknote DDD, Mda detune)

Are those transients near the beginning digitally clipped signals from the sum total of the output from the effects chain? I find it a bit difficult to predict the likely dynamic range for a particular set of inputs in Kaleidoscope, so use as much headroom as I can before routing to the compressor/limiter.
I don't think so : likely those granulated piano sounds from The Mangle granular synth,...

An excellent and very thorough review from releasetime.de

(in German)

http://www.releasetime.de/test-2caudio-kaleidoscope/

According to Google translate:
2CAudio has not promised too much: Kaleidoscope is a groundbreaking, independent creative effect of the extra class, also regarding the excellent audio quality. An incoming audio signal brings resonators to oscillate, the sound is modulated by browsing through graphical templates. The innovative architecture also produces innovative sounds.

Competitors who pursue a similar approach (resonators plus graphic controlled modulation), I have not known, nor an effect that would replace Kaleidoscope. The effects that are generated here are unique.

In the field of film music, multimedia and games scoring one is without much tinkering in a short time a variety of soundscapes and modulated textures win, which are very versatile and thanks to the panorama modulation frequencies include (by the color distribution of the graph) spectacular spatial effects. Kaleidoscope breathes new life into the composition and makes sounds that can hardly be generated differently in this complex and extremely high audio quality. The focus is on the application futuristic, mystical or modern sounds, the mood of dreamy to dramatic or disturbing.
and, to be fair they also mention it uses a lot of CPU resources, which is true of course. We've been working more on that in the past couple weeks. :tu:

Thanks for the very deep review/test guys!

https://soundcloud.com/2caudio/ks-mystery-ostinato

Two Kaleidoscopes and One B2.

Kaleidoscope used in the generative manner, (no input signal) creates the musical ostinato phrase.

A second instances provides additional accents/variations of the phrase.

Tuning and images are from stuff I am working on for AV2.

https://soundcloud.com/2caudio/ks-mystery-ostinato-2

A second variation of the same above. Out Mod is the same in both.

One KS into One B2. Scanning rate changes halfway through on one of the mod sources to give an additional variation.

Same tuning as above. (I've made something crazy like 500,000 new scales... yes, I should see a psychologist... :o )

Sampleconstruct wrote:Kaleidoscope (only using the internal noise generator to excite the resonators) meets crusherX, some Aether reverb and Valhalla Shimmer added on 2 busses, the involved images in Kaleidoscope were made with ArtMatic, the tuning file in KS uses a harmonic series with only the first 12 odd harmonics. Can't wait for live gigs with a KS orchestra using big retina monitors hooked up to 10x10 meter video cubes and 7.2 surround sound...shiver....

Absolute Space Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tT-zZWZAUc

Here is an audio version of the above combo, this time automating the root key changes, which worked astonishingly well without glitches/artifacts.
http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/k ... pace-music

Can't seem to find the bundle listed. Can you post link? Never mind, I found it. Having trouble applying the coupon code twice: once for KS and then again for Architecture (separately). I thought this was possible, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Musical Gym wrote:Can't seem to find the bundle listed. Can you post link? Never mind, I found it. Having trouble applying the coupon code twice: once for KS and then again for Architecture (separately). I thought this was possible, but maybe I'm mistaken.
http://www.galbanum.com/shop/product_in ... cts_id=114

Add the AV1 option under the "add expansions" option.

that's it. apply coupon at checkout.

Thanks Andrew. I thought I'd seen a lower bundle price somewhere, but I must have had it confused with something else.
Why is the Architecture Volume 1 recommended? What makes it "relatively indispensable," what exactly is an architecture waveform, and could I create my own and import into KS?

Musical Gym wrote:Thanks Andrew. I thought I'd seen a lower bundle price somewhere, but I must have had it confused with something else.
Why is the Architecture Volume 1 recommended? What makes it "relatively indispensable," what exactly is an architecture waveform, and could I create my own and import into KS?
Architecture Volume 01 KS contains: • 14,059 Total Files • 7,696 Images • 4,545 Scales • 1,818 Waveforms

This was made over five years and represents a ton of thought into these topics and thinking and trial and error investigating the kind of things that are most interesting to the "visual control of sound" paradigm. i.e. it represents expert knowledge into a fairly esoteric field of study...

You can make any/all of these things yourself, sure. Format specs are listed in the end of the manual. But If you make one file per second it will take you a full 40-hour work week to make this library. As a $75 ad-on, this is an hourly rate of $1.875 per hour. I guess your time is more valuable than that?? :D

(now if you consider making one file per second is more or less impossible and one per 15 min is likely a VERY good rate if you are thinking about things, well then, the hourly rate is now much much less than even a Foxcom employee in China who is a assembling iPhones... :D )

Others can comment whether or not they find it indispensable. It is to me. Absolutely.

If you use the "Easter egg" at the end of the interview I posted, you can still get KS + AV1 for $274.95. Not quite the $249.95 that was available during the intro period, but not really much more either...

Return to “Effects”