Is it silly to buy Elektron Rytm if I have Spark LE?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:If you mainly want to work with samples, then the Rytm aint the one to choose. For samples, you want the Octatrack if you are looking to add a standalone Elektron box.
I agree. You're looking at it all backwards. RYTM is an analog drum machine with the addition of samples on top of the Elektron style sequencer. Octatrack is a full featured sampler on top of the Elektron style sequencer. Frankly, I'd say since you're already tied to the computer with the SparkLE, stay there.
That said... The recent Elektron Science Lab competition allowed the use of a single sample and no synthesis on one Elektron box that can use samples (MachineDrum, Octatrack or Rytm). The overall winner used a Rytm.

These are a few of the many entries done on the Rytm. So again, all the entries used the same single vocal sample provided by Elektron and none of the analog oscillator based machines. So the Rytm is no slouch when it comes to samples and the sound design possible... and the sound is warm and gorgeous.
That's my quandary. While I think the Octatrack and Rytm both have a nice sound, I quite like the analog sound of the Rytm and fancy the idea of samples being sent through it. But I think it will come down to what features I like more to manipulate samples. The Octatrack seem to offer more in that dept., but are they features I will use, I'm not sure as I need to look at what it can really do still. The Rytm just seems simple and straight forward with a awesome way to manipulate sample via the pads (scene and perf modes). I'll have to look at what thing Octatrack can do and how complex or easy it is. Not too big on lots of button presses, but I'll have to see.

stikygum wrote: That's my quandary. While I think the Octatrack and Rytm both have a nice sound, I quite like the analog sound of the Rytm and fancy the idea of samples being sent through it. But I think it will come down to what features I like more to manipulate samples. The Octatrack seem to offer more in that dept., but are they features I will use, I'm not sure as I need to look at what it can really do still. The Rytm just seems simple and straight forward with a awesome way to manipulate sample via the pads (scene and perf modes). I'll have to look at what thing Octatrack can do and how complex or easy it is. Not too big on lots of button presses, but I'll have to see.
The Octatrack can do much more with samples including record them... You can pitch and timestretch, you can edit them, add fx and resample, etc etc...

The Rytm only has sample start, sample end, loop on/off, tune and a bit crushing effect. That's it. No editing at all. But if you are going to be using the computer, all that stuff is arguably easier there than the Octatrack anyway. I have Live which is itself an amazing sampling tool. I'm not looking to give that up and the Octatrack aint enough to make me do so, so then it becomes redundant if I purchase it.

I bought the Analog Keys first, then wavered for a bit between the Rytm and Octatrack. Obviously I chose the Rytm. It is much simpler in terms of button pushing complexity and now in hindsight, I am glad I made the choice I did. Sound-wise there is nothing like the Rytm.

pdxindy wrote: The Octatrack can do much more with samples including record them... You can pitch and timestretch, you can edit them, add fx and resample, etc etc...

The Rytm only has sample start, sample end, loop on/off, tune and a bit crushing effect. That's it. No editing at all. But if you are going to be using the computer, all that stuff is arguably easier there than the Octatrack anyway. I have Live which is itself an amazing sampling tool. I'm not looking to give that up and the Octatrack aint enough to make me do so, so then it becomes redundant if I purchase it.
That is exactly the reason why I've considered the Rytm over the Octatrack. I would be doing most of my sample editing itb. Then I was going to load up the samples to one of these Elektrons and do some hands on sample manipulation. I want it to be easy to get at and not a lot of button pushes and all that. But I'm still interested in whether or not the Octatrack's features like how it chops up samples and rearranges them (or maybe some of the other manipulation featueres) will provide me something that I'm not going to do in software.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”