How to make cartoon sounds?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
arkmabat wrote:Google "Foley Tricks" and you'll find all kinds of sound effect tips.
Any specific reason to necro this thread after 8 years??
Rather random indeed!

Besides, everyone knows that all cartoon sounds are made with a slide whistle and coconut shells.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

xoxos wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:...it was also mentioned that the hb sounds were "meh" but actually its the hanna barbera effects that are far far better.
listen buddy if you tell them the good one the first time, they make one purchase, then it's all over.

so next time someone asks for the good one, you recommend the crap one, then they'll buy that, then they'll come back, and ask again, and you tell them the other crap one.

if you're not going to play by the kvr rules it's nine generations genetic extermination and a very naughty boy. we've got a good thing going here. the customer doesn't even want a good product, you sell them that they'll be swiftly disillusioned. the customer wants to buy desire and product fulfillment, they'll be happier if you send them on a perpetual quest for the unattainable instead of owning some crap that does exactly what they hoped and they see how empty and ill founded their desires were and feeling depressed from having all meaning ripped out of their lives.
oops....sorry, wont happen again. :dog:
ImageImageImage

balloons are great for many sounds -- whooshing air, farting noises, squeaking noises, rubbing noises, etc... Bang two balloons together for a resonant bang, etc...

I was the audio director for a cartoon series in the early 80's called "The Comic Strip" and we had a big box with tons of percussion instruments and random objects to bang on, blow into, etc... It was great fun.

ontrackp wrote:balloons are great for many sounds -- whooshing air, farting noises, squeaking noises, rubbing noises, etc... Bang two balloons together for a resonant bang, etc...

I was the audio director for a cartoon series in the early 80's called "The Comic Strip" and we had a big box with tons of percussion instruments and random objects to bang on, blow into, etc... It was great fun.
Hey ontrackp. Did you get to work with Bob Camp on that production?
I bet you have some cool stories to tell.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Oh, hot damn. Maggie Wheeler was on "The Comic Strip" too. I heard her voice on "Archer" the other day.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

There are some amazing circuit bent sounds that closely resemble cartoon sounds crafted in a lunatic parallel universe. Try things like Tek Pal Pup's Tamagotchis etc

martygras wrote:
ontrackp wrote:balloons are great for many sounds -- whooshing air, farting noises, squeaking noises, rubbing noises, etc... Bang two balloons together for a resonant bang, etc...

Yes. I did work with Bob.

martygras wrote:

Yes. I did work with Bob.

comic strip.. real statements, rare for tv isn't it?. loved "oxford" among others.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “Production Techniques”