2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

rustman wrote:
Daags wrote:I see Filter Forge 5 is currently in beta, and buying FF4 now only allows you a key for the beta period and not beyond.

So, good idea or bad idea to buy FF4 at the moment ?
No matter what you decide, I suggest (as did aMUSEd before me), that you not pay for the filter backup stuff. I did, and it locked up every time I tried to install it. I finally just told them to credit it to me towards the next upgrade. Use the legacy browser mode and spend an hour, one time, and get all of the online filters for free and save $29.

what about the filter librarian ? same deal (avoid/pointless) ?

anyway after some research it seems financially prudent to pick up FF4 now, while they're doing those sale prices. You can pre-order an upgrade to FF5 for just under half the price an upgrade will cost when FF5 comes out of beta.. if you are so inclined.

some negatives about the order: they use digital river/share-it ... this always causes me hassle no matter what.. right now I'm waiting for them to confirm the payment - which usually takes hours to find out it has been rejected, with no reason given. And ringing their help line in Malaysia (!!) was useless. Also the license seems to be platform dependent. derp. I run Win and OSX setups. and the volume discounts also appear to be platform dependent (i.e for 2+ win licenses, or 2+ osx licenses). double derp.

still it seems like a really kool plugin/application. bracing myself for my share of share-it bs and subsequent support emails looking for an alternative payment method.

I know very little about the librarian part, as I don't recall even finding a screen shot of it, only their written blurb that leaves a lot to be guessed. As for DR/Share it, I've never had an issue with them that I can recall.
I will say that if you download all of the filters, it makes FF very slow to open, especially when opening from Photoshop. Now that I know that it will take a few clicks and then maximizing it from the task bar, I don't sweat it.

I do think the possibilities are mind-boggling with this software. I could entertain myself for hours just trying out the huge number of filters (and their variations).
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

With the update sometimes the cursor gets lost when switching through presets, it just disappears and only comes back when switching to a new preset.

Sampleconstruct wrote:With the update sometimes the cursor gets lost when switching through presets, it just disappears and only comes back when switching to a new preset.
Actually it gets constantly lost...

So far 1.02 looks pretty solid on Live and OS 10.8.5. Assigning knobs to KS controllers via midi now seems to work without crashing Live. 1.01 functionality appears to be back.

The AU versions of KS and B2 still don't play together. All I need to do to crash Live is add KS and then try to add B2 after it. Not too big of a deal for me because the VST versions are working together. Just a heads up. I did send crash logs about this previously.

Cursor behavior is fine on my system.

Thanks - John
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

dayjob wrote:
Galbanum wrote:BTW, something I did not ever make explicitly clear: when you use really large buffers in KS, this also slows down how fast the GUI updates... So at max size of 2048, the GUI may feel a little slow. if this bothers you, for faster GUI and less latency use smaller buffer -- but this will use more CPU resources...

the best compromise for all of this stuff is perhaps using 256 or 512 or so, and remember to set your host buffer to the same value... but as always feel free to experiment and use what feels best on your particular system...
i get constant "cannot synchronize audio.." blah blah errors in logic when i change _any_ parameter during play back.. feedback etc..

is that to be expected?

The Feedback control specifically is one of, if not the, most intensive update processes. On slower computers it might be common to see this error, yes. It is sort of expected during some updates, yes. Some updates are NOT expected to be able to be done perfectly in real-time at this point.

You should disable this warning in Logic. It's pretty annoying IMHO. It should be obvious to you when you experience dropouts and CPU overs without Logic having to give a warning.

rustman wrote:Rookie question- I've noticed that many of the images uploaded here don't have any "apparent" red and green in them (Andrew's Hadamard Matrix, for instance). I've been trying to make all of my images mostly composed of red and green (which does not please me esthetically, lol). Should I just concentrate on form and ignore the colors to some degree? I can always scan Never Mind the Bollocks and turn up the color intensity...
:?:

Red + Green = Yellow.

So my matrix example just represents a "mono" image.

Hue controls panning.

Brightness controls gain.

Gain is perhaps more important than panning sure.

Color can be manipulated with in KS using the width control, or with other various graphic tools.

"form" is perhaps more fundamental, yes, and color/hue/panning is like "icing on the cake".

We intend to offer some additional ways to manipulate color/panning from within KS, so I guess the simple answer is, "yes, focusing more on form/brightness than color when designing your own images, is not a bad way to start."

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:With the update sometimes the cursor gets lost when switching through presets, it just disappears and only comes back when switching to a new preset.
Actually it gets constantly lost...

on the Browser page of the GUI, or on the MAIN page of the GUI using the various resource browser windows?

also "cursor" = the selected state graphic that tracks what is selected??

I mean the cursor that indicates the current position, the playhead position.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I mean the cursor that indicates the current position, the playhead position.

Ah OK. So it seems if you switch to a preset that uses only one Mod Image (and the other is set to disabled) and if upon switching presets the new preset state opens with a Disabled mod mode on the currently mod View, and then you switch to active mod view), in this case the mod position tracker is not displayed...

is that what you find? so it should always involve presets where only one mod Image is used, yes?

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:I mean the cursor that indicates the current position, the playhead position.

Ah OK. So it seems if you switch to a preset that uses only one Mod Image (and the other is set to disabled) and if upon switching presets the new preset state opens with a Disabled mod mode on the currently mod View, and then you switch to active mod view), in this case the mod position tracker is not displayed...

is that what you find? so it should always involve presets where only one mod Image is used, yes?
I'm not in front of KS now, but if that's what your problem analysis shows, I assume that's the problem then.

Sampleconstruct wrote: I'm not in front of KS now...

What :?: :?: :?:

I thought you said it was true love :love: :love: :love: and that you would never leave us :?: :?:

:D :D

(yes, seems to be as I described... minor little annoyance... we'll fix it... nice find!)

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: I'm not in front of KS now...

What :?: :?: :?:

I thought you said it was true love :love: :love: :love: and that you would never leave us :?: :?:

:D :D

(yes, seems to be as I described... minor little annoyance... we'll fix it... nice find!)
I will never leave you, you can bet on that, but I have 2 gazillion tons of other audio work waiting for me, so she now has to wait a little, and she needs some rest too after all the excessive partying...

hahaha. fair enough. :D

Galbanum wrote:
rustman wrote:Rookie question- I've noticed that many of the images uploaded here don't have any "apparent" red and green in them (Andrew's Hadamard Matrix, for instance). I've been trying to make all of my images mostly composed of red and green (which does not please me esthetically, lol). Should I just concentrate on form and ignore the colors to some degree? I can always scan Never Mind the Bollocks and turn up the color intensity...
:?:

Red + Green = Yellow.

So my matrix example just represents a "mono" image.

Hue controls panning.

Brightness controls gain.

Gain is perhaps more important than panning sure.

Color can be manipulated with in KS using the width control, or with other various graphic tools.

"form" is perhaps more fundamental, yes, and color/hue/panning is like "icing on the cake".

We intend to offer some additional ways to manipulate color/panning from within KS, so I guess the simple answer is, "yes, focusing more on form/brightness than color when designing your own images, is not a bad way to start."
Thanks Andrew. I guess I was probably asking if you use non-red/green images, does KS see them as separate red and green channels that combine to create whatever colors the eye is seeing?? Looking at those color channels separately in PS might reveal that there isn't much brightness for each of those individually but they combine (along with blue) to create the total brightness (which could be misleading when looking at the plain image. Regardless, I get what you said. I'd be more pleased at this point to get the brightness/volume interesting and even consider using external processing to handle L/R panning. ...or perhaps two instances with the images slid slightly offset for one, red and green respectively. More experimenting ahead. The weekend is near....
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Return to “Effects”