RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey acidose

Lovely synth indeed

very much love some of the sounds that are possible with it

Any new possible synths/VSTs later on? At your leisure of course

:)

May Xhip Live long :tu:

Xhip is like a vampire, it lives virtually forever although it spends much of its time underground in the dark. Sometimes it decides to come out under moonlight and the next morning rumors are spreading through the village.

Yes I've done a few other synthesizers, the newest one is due to come out in March this year.

I'm planning to do Xhip 2, which will be all the features of Xhip plus more. So Xhip++ would be a good name really.

Other work I do is by contract or for hire to other designers and so little is shared between the result and Xhip other than the code they are built from, or simply the fact I wrote portions of the code. For example this product coming out I would not want to associate with Xhip in any way as it has very little in common.

Nexus 2 uses the filters from Xhip, for example. It also incorporates (as far as I'm aware, unless they were replaced) some of the Xhip Effects plugins. That was the first "other" project I worked on back in 2009.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:Xhip is like a vampire, it lives virtually forever although it spends much of its time underground in the dark. Sometimes it decides to come out under moonlight and the next morning rumors are spreading through the village.
after how many more years do we get an AU? Last time I asked was 2012
Padamantium - 100 Pads for Repro-5 available now @ The Patchbay.
Also packs for TAL-UNO-LX, Oddity 2, TAL-Bassline101 https://thepatchbay.co.uk/creator/kimik/

Well I've done an AU at this point, so it seems the alpha will likely get an AU version soon.

The issue is that I need to write two versions of the GUI (windowing/graphics libs) to run on OSX under both 32-bit and 64-bit because of the objc/cocoa/carbon insanity, and also that attempting to use OSX for anything at all makes me unruly and violent.

I'd really rather focus on core issues preventing the next release than invest much time toward OSX and especially AU. Of course Xhip uses the VST preset management system, so it is entirely incompatible as-is with AU anyway. So the whole issue is quite complicated and requires a massive amount of time and effort on my part.

Ideally I'd like to sit down one day that I feel like "hey, why not work on an OSX Xhip today?" and actually get something working, but every time I attempt to do this it's one thing after another like OS updates making my xcode project configured incorrectly, weird and poorly documented objc APIs. Sort of like you learn when you're a child not to stick your finger in the fire/toaster/whatever, only in this case you're asking me to do this over and over and over ignoring the fact I get burnt :)

https://soundcloud.com/xhip/horabal

I'd love to do it, just once again no promises.

(Most likely I'll start with only a 64-bit VST version and see if I can get things working at all. I'll release that ASAP in the very least as an alpha version, but unfortunately even to accomplish this alone will be a huge amount of work.)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Crap, I've pressed "edit" rather than "quote" and deleted the content of my post.

No post history?

Okay, short version:

The OSX VST seems to work. It has no GUI. Please don't ask me for a GUI or when it will work, it will take a LOT of time and effort so just assume it'll never get done and then rage delete Xhip from your mac if that helps.

http://xhip.net/temp/Xhip.zip

Please keep in mind:
  • This is alpha, meaning it could be filled with bugs, demons, or burn down your house and steal your favorite boxer shorts away to the land of never-find-againia.
  • It takes a lot of effort to go from here to AU, or to get the GUI working. In theory you could use something like symbiosis to wrap the VST version of the plugin as-is, if it worked I wouldn't need to do anything so feel free.
  • Because it doesn't contain a GUI, all the features only available through the GUI are unavailable. I can hear you now, "NOOOOO!", either that or "what? which features are those?"
  • Some other list item I can't remember from the original post. Hopefully it wasn't important. I doubt it was. Okay fine.
I posted something about it being only 32-bit, then I tried to press "quote" and make a new post, but instead here is the second edit of this one without the content of the original post.

Here is the second post I intended:
It should also work as 32-bit, but I am providing only 64-bit.
lol...

It seems to be a universal binary. No idea how I got that to work correctly on the first try. Last time I tried this I was fiddling with the settings in xcode for a week without success.
Last edited by aciddose on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

aciddose wrote: So Xhip++ would be a good name really.
Should call it ++Xhip -> should run faster :hihi:

Xhip++ ?
1 + for 1 more oscillator
1 + for an independent vc high pass filter (yes i know there is one in shaper section but it cant be modulated with lfo and adsr, just by keyboard track)

That would be a perfect soft synth :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Xhip 2 = mod matrix replaces all modulation depths.

I wouldn't expect it to have more oscillators. Also I wouldn't bother worrying about the sequel to something that doesn't even exist yet :)

Xhip 2 is a line in my "todo" file where I put things I don't want to waste my time doing because I need to finish Xhip first before completely redesigning it over and over and over.

Xhip 2:
  • mod matrix
  • key mapping / splits
  • multi-timbral layering / unison
  • sequencer
Being 100% modular might be more of a Xhip 3 thing.

Does this need OpenGl now for GUI elements? I have a blank screen, installed latest, not Alpha.

Took out graphics card as it took too much power. Thanks
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

aciddose wrote:
Yes I've done a few other synthesizers, the newest one is due to come out in March this year.
What is it, still on track?

I'm not planning to share what it is, if people like it they'll buy it or talk about it based upon its own merits.

aciddose wrote:I'm not planning to share what it is, if people like it they'll buy it or talk about it based upon its own merits.
So its not your synth then, its something you worked on with others?

I thought you might be releasing a new synth of your own...

Xhip is a great synth, and constantly updated. It somehow didn't make it onto my latest system and I'll be remedying that next time my computer is in front of me. Can't wait to see what all has been added since the last time I used it. Even then I was using an outdated version.

Thanks for the reminder. And thanks to Acidose for the awesome free synth.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Kriminal wrote:So its not your synth then, its something you worked on with others?

I thought you might be releasing a new synth of your own...
One thing I would really like to do is a very simple synth similar to the layout I used for my "X1" analog with a focus on some of the timbre that is specific to the circuits I used in that synthesizer.

Unfortunately, this is not at all easy to accomplish.

http://xhip.net/temp/ressarawr.mp3

Just being able to get this sort of result from software, regardless of the cost for a single voice (with the requirement that a reasonably modern CPU be capable of doing this in real-time of course) would be great.

Unfortunately this requires a significant investment and focus toward the filter implementation, and I believe that despite recent progress there is still some element missing to get from 50% to 100% of the way there.

That said, even if the result is overall from my perspective "crap", it would be cool just to throw something basic together.

RunBeerRun wrote:Does this need OpenGl now for GUI elements? I have a blank screen, installed latest, not Alpha.

Took out graphics card as it took too much power. Thanks
No, the (7) version released back in 2012 doesn't use anything special. A blank screen shouldn't ever be possible. That would mean there is some problem with either the window or drawing.

Return to “Instruments”