Someone would like to be payed for a good VST3 dev tutorial/book?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic

Would you pay for a good VST3 development book/tutorial

Poll ended at Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Yes
19%
Yes, even if it relies on third party libs
13%
Yes, only if it doesn't rely on any third party libs, just the VST3 SDK
19%
No
50%

Total votes: 16

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I know that there is an other thread about "how to develop VST plugin", but this is a different question.

Every time I try to make a simple VST 3 plug-in or basic VST host and I search around for documentation I always wonder how it is possible that nobody has made a good tutorial/book for that! :?

I mean a tutorial that explains how to start from scratch without using JUCE or WDL-OL (or other libs), but just the VST SDK from Steinberg, maybe using a portable tool chain such as Make/CMake and not depending on Visual Studio or XCode.
I think it would be great to have a tutorial like to really understand how it works and not depending on third party libraries.

I would pay money for such tutorial or book... Maybe we could really collect money to ask someone to make a book or big tutorial for VST3 development, it could be a KickStarter project...

What is your opinion about?

will pirkle's latest book does it already:

http://www.willpirkle.com/about/books/ (blue one)

An SDK is the documentation. (And knowing what to do with one is a profession.)

Anyway, here's a VST3 tutorial for you in 2 words: "Use 2.4".

maybe the wrong question to ask here in this forum... too many people here who already know how it works and had to learn it the hard way, just armed with a debugger...
hollyhook - adaptive music technology
http://hollyhook.de

Maybe you're right @costanze, but I was thinking that since most of you already know how to cope with VST3 it will be interested to be payed to explain to other ones ;-)

I think it's more that, your first compilation shouldn't be a VST plug-in. It should be HelloWorld.exe The problem isn't that someone doesn't understand VST or DSP, it's that they don't understand programming, and just mindlessly compiling an SDK sample project and maybe managing to hack a few tweaks of its behavior in without breaking it too badly isn't programming. It's a way of life. If you were a programmer, you'd know it by now. (Unless you're only 12 years old, in which case you have a year or two to get started.)

killkrt wrote:...I was thinking that since most of you already know how to cope with VST3 it will be interested to be payed to explain to other ones ;-)
How much you got? ;)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”