HELP: Replacing my RME Babyface to get more inputs

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought the Babyface not long after it had come out, but have reached a point where I want to have some external gear and don't have the required inputs. Even though the Babyface has many inputs, I would need to buy another piece of gear to be able to actually use them, as they are digital ins, right?

I had a look at the RME Octamix range, but they are way too expensive to justify buying for me. I then saw the Focusrite Octapre range, but I ask myself, why use Focusrite converters to plug digitally into RME sound card?

So I have been thinking of selling the Babyface, and potentially buying an interface that offers more ins, but isn't without reasonable quality converters.

What would my options be? Focusrite Saffire range? I am on Windows, with only USB at this point, but I'm open to PCI if needed. I'm willing to spend no more than what it cost for the Babyface

I'd like to know your thoughts!
Thanks

I'm thinking using ADAT on Babyface.

I looked at Mackie Blackbird which is firewire in itself as interface, but can be configured to produce ADAT out from converters. Connect once over firewire and config.

8 x Onyx Preamps are rather nice.

Otherwise HDSP AIO is PCI Express - or similar HDSP 9632 for PCI.
Then addons like AI4S for extra line inputs.
RME internal cards are really solid solution - but you need preamps after that still.

Yes get an ADAT.

Considering doing this myself..

Looking at the behringer ADA8000, seems like a good cheap 8 extra ins/outs box.

Any other recommendations or good reasons not to entertain the ADA8000?

You could use other interface/mixer/preamps with adat.

But maybe for the price you could sell the babyface ad get an RME Fireface UC or UCX.
dedication to flying

treebeard wrote:Considering doing this myself..

I feel as if it would be an insult to the high-quality RME interface to use Behringer converters via ADAT. surely I could just buy a Behringer interface instead, right?

> I feel as if it would be an insult to the high-quality RME interface to use Behringer converters via ADAT. surely I could just buy a Behringer interface instead, right?

No, the Babyface interfaces with you PC, and superior driver quality is one of RME's selling points. I thing using the cheap ADA8000 with a much more expensive audio interface is quite common.

dubfonik wrote: I feel as if it would be an insult to the high-quality RME interface to use Behringer converters via ADAT. surely I could just buy a Behringer interface instead, right?
I'm with you on that one.

I use a Mackie 402VLZ with Onyx preamps - and really like those.
Into line inputs of RME then. And one of those are $100.

But you need converter then - that's where Blackbird might do the trick.

Focusrite has good sounding preamps, like the OctaPre - but they tend to go towards bright. OctaPre has 55dB gain which is not enough for all mikes.

Onyx are really transparent to me.
Onyx are 60dB which also fix Shure SM7B that need that.

Get yourself a PCIe Firewire card and track down a Fireface 400. I bought one recently for just £350 and it's fantastic. RME recently updated their totalmix FX software to work with the older Fireface cards and performance is fantastic.

It's got 8 inputs plus ADAT and spdif plus dual midi I/O via the included breakout cable. I have found the midi to be tighter than anything else I've tried including the dedicated MOTU Midi Xpress I got rid of last year!

dubfonik wrote:
treebeard wrote:Considering doing this myself..

I feel as if it would be an insult to the high-quality RME interface to use Behringer converters via ADAT. surely I could just buy a Behringer interface instead, right?
The RME interface would functions as normal though wouldn't it (HDSP Multiface here)? So I would get the 8x1/4" in and outs form the RME + use of their great drivers, plus another 8x in and outs with the ADA8000. If the ADA8000 inputs are noticabley worse in sound qualtiy I can always use one of the RME's on a delicate source - if it doesn't matter so much then I have doubled my in/outs fairly cheaply no? I dont see how it would degrade the original RME unit to the point that I may as well have used a behringer audio interface throughout? Correct me if i'm wrong - I often am :?

tehlord wrote:Get yourself a PCIe Firewire card and track down a Fireface 400. I bought one recently for just £350 and it's fantastic. RME recently updated their totalmix FX software to work with the older Fireface cards and performance is fantastic.

It's got 8 inputs plus ADAT and spdif plus dual midi I/O via the included breakout cable. I have found the midi to be tighter than anything else I've tried including the dedicated MOTU Midi Xpress I got rid of last year!

I strongly disagree about firewire - ancient technology and connectors are really poor design and cables very stiff making it easy to get malfunction.

I never got below using up 8%(20% one core) of my new i7 daw just to keep audio up.
That after 3 months - 4 firewire cards, 2 brands of cables and two audio interfaces.
You can use that cpu better for plugins and stuff.

But anybody is free to use their cpu as they like of course.
I've read that Macs are better on firewire - but now also excluded that as interface on MB.

Seems that usb is developed further and way to go - unless having stationary computer with card slots, or docking station for laptop.

You would need to add the ADAT module for an extra € 95

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_a ... r8_mk2.htm

... but apparently it's very good.

skipscada wrote:
You would need to add the ADAT module for an extra € 95

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_a ... r8_mk2.htm

... but apparently it's very good.
Ah I thought it was included, still a step up from the Behringer in quality.

By the way, Behringer updated the ADA8000 some time ago:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep13/a ... da8200.htm

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”