Should I buy Komplete Kontrol S49?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IMO, they want waaay too much money for that keyboard.

I picked up a rather inexpensive keyboard to travel with on summer vacation last year, because my studio stuff ain't leavin' the studio.

(FWIW, I am a keyboard player - since the '60's) I was pleasantly surprised at the feel of the key bed and the overall control options.

Check this little guy out:

Samson Graphite 49

Available in the States for $180 usd.

Oh... 'almost forgot: Comes with Komplete Elements.
When worlds collide...
= May Meditation =

I love Love LOVE my Komplete Kontrol S61. NI has been harshly criticized for what people think these keyboards can’t do. Before purchased I was very concerned about the limitations of the keyboard, primarily that the Midi out doesn't currently function. I'm certain a firmware update will remedy this and allow even better functionality. So far it’s not an issue because the DAW takes care of this and I don’t perform live with hardware syths.

I use NI Komplete 9 Ultimate and lots of other synths. The KK with iPad running Logic remote is a beautiful streamlined setup for me. Setup also works great with Touchable on iPad, Ableton Live, and KK. The iPad gives so much more info, space, and functionality for me than Novation controllers (I've tried them all) or Nektar screen (a great controller with OK keybed and LARGE footprint). I love the keyboard action - only thing that feels better to me than my Korg M3 76 keys.

I've tried too many controllers to count in my setup - MPKs of various sizes, KorgKontrol, Arturia Keylab, Arturia Analog Experience, (the Arturias suck for controlling anything other than Arturia software), Kurzweil 2600, Novation Impulse, Novation SLMKii, but the Komplete Kontrol has FAR exceeded my expectations for quality of keybed, functionality, and integration. Plus it’s pretty :-).

For Logic, I've mapped the KK to unassigned midi controller numbers and then mapped those to Logic's smart controls giving me instant, easy, non-cluttered access to most used AU parameters just by switching tracks. You can use the NI Controller Setup app to assign KK knobs to unassigned MIDI CC numbers 14, 15, 22, 23, 76, 77, 78, 79. Open any plugin with smart controls, click on the "i" button in the smart-control pane, click onscreen knob you want to control, click the "learn" button beside "External Assignment" and then rotate KK knob to assign. I did have to open Logic's Controller Assignment window (command-K) during this process and IF when i turned the KK knob the "Zone" jumped to "V-pots" or something else, I just deleted all assignments in the "Control" column of the"v-Pots" Zone, deactivated learn in the smart-control pane AND the controller assignment window, and began again to assign properly. I guess because the KK uses the Mackie control surface protocol, there are lots of assignments automatically made by logic when using the KK that are not needed so deleting them doesn't affect the KK or logic. After this setup, anytime you choose a non-NI instrument track with smart controls the KK automatically switches itself to control the smart controls.

While the smart control assignment is great, you can use the NI Controller Setup software to create templates for AU and VST plugins - and in Logic I've read the templates switch automatically as you switch tracks but I haven't tested this. At the very least you can easily call up a named template using the KK arrow buttons and the title you've given to the plugin template shows up on the Kontrol screen.

Komplete Kontrol can control any hardware synth as long as you are using a major DAW. I easily control a Korg Radius and Korg M3 with KK connected through Logic Pro X.

I'll say it again - I LOVE this controller! Keybed is SO much nicer for me than my previously owned akai MPK49 and MPK88. The new Akai's look great but Akai software to date has been buggy for me. The KK is performing very solidly.

Regarding absence of pads, I have great pads on my Korg M3 and also have a Beringer Graphite pad controller with aftertouch that I like. I seldom use the pads because I love NI Battery and Polyplex and with the KK Lightguide and great keyboard, drumming is easiest from keyboard and I get visual feedback for where sounds are mapped.

I know it's not for everyone but it sure suits my needs!

JohannW wrote:I love Love LOVE my Komplete Kontrol S61. NI has been harshly criticized for what people think these keyboards can’t do. Before purchased I was very concerned about the limitations of the keyboard, primarily that the Midi out doesn't currently function. I'm certain a firmware update will remedy this and allow even better functionality. So far it’s not an issue because the DAW takes care of this and I don’t perform live with hardware syths.

I use NI Komplete 9 Ultimate and lots of other synths. The KK with iPad running Logic remote is a beautiful streamlined setup for me. Setup also works great with Touchable on iPad, Ableton Live, and KK. The iPad gives so much more info, space, and functionality for me than Novation controllers (I've tried them all) or Nektar screen (a great controller with OK keybed and LARGE footprint). I love the keyboard action - only thing that feels better to me than my Korg M3 76 keys.

I've tried too many controllers to count in my setup - MPKs of various sizes, KorgKontrol, Arturia Keylab, Arturia Analog Experience, (the Arturias suck for controlling anything other than Arturia software), Kurzweil 2600, Novation Impulse, Novation SLMKii, but the Komplete Kontrol has FAR exceeded my expectations for quality of keybed, functionality, and integration. Plus it’s pretty :-).

For Logic, I've mapped the KK to unassigned midi controller numbers and then mapped those to Logic's smart controls giving me instant, easy, non-cluttered access to most used AU parameters just by switching tracks. You can use the NI Controller Setup app to assign KK knobs to unassigned MIDI CC numbers 14, 15, 22, 23, 76, 77, 78, 79. Open any plugin with smart controls, click on the "i" button in the smart-control pane, click onscreen knob you want to control, click the "learn" button beside "External Assignment" and then rotate KK knob to assign. I did have to open Logic's Controller Assignment window (command-K) during this process and IF when i turned the KK knob the "Zone" jumped to "V-pots" or something else, I just deleted all assignments in the "Control" column of the"v-Pots" Zone, deactivated learn in the smart-control pane AND the controller assignment window, and began again to assign properly. I guess because the KK uses the Mackie control surface protocol, there are lots of assignments automatically made by logic when using the KK that are not needed so deleting them doesn't affect the KK or logic. After this setup, anytime you choose a non-NI instrument track with smart controls the KK automatically switches itself to control the smart controls.

While the smart control assignment is great, you can use the NI Controller Setup software to create templates for AU and VST plugins - and in Logic I've read the templates switch automatically as you switch tracks but I haven't tested this. At the very least you can easily call up a named template using the KK arrow buttons and the title you've given to the plugin template shows up on the Kontrol screen.

Komplete Kontrol can control any hardware synth as long as you are using a major DAW. I easily control a Korg Radius and Korg M3 with KK connected through Logic Pro X.

I'll say it again - I LOVE this controller! Keybed is SO much nicer for me than my previously owned akai MPK49 and MPK88. The new Akai's look great but Akai software to date has been buggy for me. The KK is performing very solidly.

Regarding absence of pads, I have great pads on my Korg M3 and also have a Beringer Graphite pad controller with aftertouch that I like. I seldom use the pads because I love NI Battery and Polyplex and with the KK Lightguide and great keyboard, drumming is easiest from keyboard and I get visual feedback for where sounds are mapped.

I know it's not for everyone but it sure suits my needs!

And you have to go to each topic to copy paste this?
dedication to flying

After picking up K10 cheap with the recent NI sale, I couldn't resist an S49. I bought one mainly for the integration with Komplete and Maschine.

Yeah, I know it was expensive....but I have to say the keybed is fantastic, the mapped controls work very nicely indeed, I love the arp and chord modes, the light guide and touch strip are way more useful than I expected, and it looks fab in the flesh. All in all, I'm a very happy camper! :tu:

It has some nice features, but for that money you can get this Novation 49-key SL Mk II and have $250 leftover
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLmk2-49

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”