One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:By the way, loved your track for #72. It's obvious you've been doing this electronic music stuff for a very long time because your tracks are pro level solid.

Maybe someday you can teach me how to do this stuff well. :hihi:
:oops: Thanks. :) I haven't really been doing it in earnest that long... dabbled for a while, for sure.

I always offer constructive criticism to anyone who wants it, just ask in a PM. Or feel free to ask any other specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them...

Ameyah Audio wrote:is the high cpu usage fixed? all new feature do not help, when the cpu usage is to high.
hmm i think i just need to install it again.
Yeah try installing it again, it doesn't seem to eat up too much CPU, but it depends on your definition of "too high". I recommend setting the engine quality to Preset so that it's only using Best on the patches that need it, since most patches use Draft. That is if you're going to be using a ton of instances like we are for OSC...

I haven't ever used SM for drums before, but the drum loop I started working on for this challenge uses 4 instances, and two of the presets are set to Best. It only eats up about 10-15% CPU, so I still have plenty of room for several more instances. If I set it to Draft it only eats up 3-5% CPU for four instances.

https://clyp.it/cmuxzs3t
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

QUESTION: Are we allowed to make minor edits to Synthmaster's factory presets- like if I just want to change the attack or release a bit?

Thanks!

quantum7 wrote:QUESTION: Are we allowed to make minor edits to Synthmaster's factory presets- like if I just want to change the attack or release a bit?

Thanks!
ABSOLUTELY!!!! Tweak the presets all you want or make your own from scratch!! Just don't use the sample-based presets.

bjporter wrote:
ontrackp wrote:I agree with wagtunes, I think the GUI is ugly. I bought this synth a while ago because it sounds great, but dealing with the poor interface is irritating so I almost never use it. That being said, I'm glad there is a mac compatible synth this month and I'm looking forward to participating.
What exactly is poor about it? I like to hear from different perspectives.
I think the font is just a little too small, colors are a little harsh. Maybe dark text on lighter background would help. Navigating around the UI isn't too bad once you get it. There's a little learning curve there, but that's to be expected considering how deep it is. It's kind of like Hive and Zebra had a baby.

Oh, and the multi-stage envelopes are a little finicky, but that could be me. I can never get a hang of them easily - in FM8, Zebra, or Synthmaster - so much clicking, dragging and never quite getting it exactly right.

SoundGoddess wrote:
Ameyah Audio wrote:is the high cpu usage fixed? all new feature do not help, when the cpu usage is to high.
hmm i think i just need to install it again.
Yeah try installing it again, it doesn't seem to eat up too much CPU, but it depends on your definition of "too high". I recommend setting the engine quality to Preset so that it's only using Best on the patches that need it, since most patches use Draft. That is if you're going to be using a ton of instances like we are for OSC...

I haven't ever used SM for drums before, but the drum loop I started working on for this challenge uses 4 instances, and two of the presets are set to Best. It only eats up about 10-15% CPU, so I still have plenty of room for several more instances. If I set it to Draft it only eats up 3-5% CPU for four instances.

https://clyp.it/cmuxzs3t
SM is quite easy on CPU for a lot of patches, but just try a really big patch with all oscillators and voices... Watch what happens :D

Let me see if I have got all right until here:
- Factory presets (this bank with the 800 presets) are allowed.
- No sample based patches are allowed.
- Making patches from scratch = allowed.
- The user who don`t own a full version of Synthmaster get a free version of Synthmaster Player.
right so far? I ask because of my broken english :lol:

What`s about the objection of wagtunes concerning equality of opportunity? I mean: I even make this a point on my judging list for voting and I think it is definitely not equal if someone is using just factory presets or making patches by oneself. The player is nice, but you cannot compare it`s features with the full version of the Synthmaster Synthesizer.

What`s about if all only may use the factory presets? That would bring us equality without the need to suspend users who don`t own Synthmaster (full version). Or do I have to delete this criterion of judgement from my list? I mean I can`t make it any longer to a criterion of judgement under such circumstances.

I think that this is not a minor point, but that`s just my humble opinion. If you all don`t mind..........what can I do, just wished to mention it again.

Cheers Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

I have downloaded the free player version of sm from the page on the provided link.
1. It tells me on loading that after 15 minutes i have to buy it. Have I got the right version?
2. There is no way to tell within the player interface if a patch uses samples or not.
(though the percussion patches for eg have sf2 in the patchname so prob are samples)
3. It seems we cannot use additional patches created by other oscers as cannot load .smpr patches, unless someone with full version can export bank (.smpb files) - as it looks like these would load.

So player users will be scratching their heads about which patches can be used, and are left with virtually no percussion it seems.

I like a challenge, and can work within limitations such as these but would really need clarification about which patches are definitely allowable.

A couple of suggestions -
a) why not allow (for this comp only) the use of patches which include samples, only as long as they are part of the factory bank. (esp. as this is one of sm's strengths)
b) why not allow the use of synthmaster cm, this would seem fair since those who own the full commercial version are allowed to use it.

Anyone know of a free midi lfo cc tool ?
Midishaper by cableguys is the thing I am after but for free as I want to modulate the x-y pads.
Does anyone know the cc values of the x-y pads?
I can see the cc values of the easy parameters in the synthmaster config file, but it does not list the values for the x-y pads.

I don't know of a free LFO tool, but you can map the x-y pads by right-clicking on them and doing "midi learn"
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Richard, I think you have downloaded the DEMO version not the free one
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:Richard, I think you have downloaded the DEMO version not the free one
I have downloaded from the KV331 page, where it says 'free player downloads' The install file is called "SynthMaster26FreePlayerSetup.exe" and there are definitely only 200 presets. I cannot see any other option.
I suspect the free version probably only starts off in a demo mode or something, and will be activated when 15 mins is up with option to buy the paid one. As i run my music computer offline i cannot confirm this yet.

Has anyone used a ps3/xbox controller to control midi cc?
I have a ps3 controller and the joysticks would make great controls for the x-y pads.
As you can gather going to something a bit unusual this time.

Maybe they changed how the free one works, its a while since I got mine and that doesnt ask me to buy it, did you have to give your email address before d/loading as they send a serial number to put in.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

RichardSemper wrote:I have downloaded the free player version of sm from the page on the provided link.
2. There is no way to tell within the player interface if a patch uses samples or not.
(though the percussion patches for eg have sf2 in the patchname so prob are samples)

a) why not allow (for this comp only) the use of patches which include samples, only as long as they are part of the factory bank. (esp. as this is one of sm's strengths)
As I've understood the rules, we're allowed to use any of the 200 factory presets of the free player, as we are to use any of the 800 presets of the commercial player. 'cause they are factory.

Man! I feel like a bird in a cage! I have nothing against using presets, but you can't even change the effects settings, in the free player :neutral:
I may try something, I like the synth as it sounds (sample-based synths is what i always had) but the player is really limiting. I concour to allow the use of the CM version (even if i think it was limited also in some ways, but still capable of some modding.)
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Return to “Instruments”