Still using windows 95 for your Daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Grasshopper wrote:This is like the absolutely retarded thread the other day about XP.

XP users are the reason Windows gets seen as virus-ridden when literally Vista and every single version after XP is 99% more virus-proof.
Millions of people around the world are still using Win XP to this day. XP by itself is not the problem as much as planned obsolescence is....and that go's deep.

That said, I still use Win XP, but only on my dedicated music machines, no internet enabled on it, no viruses, no spy ware, ever. It still does everything I need. Now what's retarded is putting your music machine on the internet in the 1st place, playing video games, doubling up on it as your family computer, and doing gawd knows what else on it :roll:

For internet we use Win 7 & Win 8 at home, it's just easier for several reasons.

Is not supporting a decade old obsolete product planned obsolesce?

There's nothing wrong with having your daw online if you know how to take care of a computer.

Like I said before. If you are using something older you could just use it offline as an archived system.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I sill have a running XP system. It's not doing anything and not connected to the net but it still works and I think Cubase is still installed on it.

When I bought a new PC system for music way back I pressed it into service as a DVR with Windows Media Center. It worked really great for that, and to this day, even though I don't use it for that anymore, Windows Media Center was a far better DVR and system than my current Dish Network DVR. If you're familar with ATT's UVerse, it kinda looks and works like that on screen, but it was working long before that came around.

That's one thing Microsoft did exceptionally well ... and I think it's actually part of their OS kernel, that you can't just install it, that it's built into the OS. It was extremely stable, never crashed and never botched a recording, unlike my Dish DVR.

I'm actually considering reducing my sat bill and going back to it.

Hey, we all do what we want and what we think is best, or for our own particular reasons etc.

As far as using your music machine on the internet, if that's what you want to do it's up to you. The worst that could happen is finding yourself reformatting your hard drive, or using an image that you made. I prefer to have my music machines just be music machines, and my internet machines be internet machines. For each purpose I need them for, I want to be in different locations of my house anyway. I don't want to sit in my home studio room if I'm not specifically working on music.

But if you're still using Win 95/98/XP on your music machine, and you want to use it for internet, you will be SPAMMED by Microsoft themselves, telling you to buy a new computer & buy a new Microsoft operating system. It'll make your internet experience miserable just for that! Although, it would still work on the internet fine.
But being it's NOT supported, you'll also find certain browser features that have also evolved won't want to work on that old machine/OS. If using an older computer/OS, it's bets to stock up on drivers, browsers or whatever. Even still, you'll be on certain sites that your machine won't want to play with.

Using an older computer/OS on a dedicated music machine, with no internet enabled if totally different...just as long as the vintage hardware & software have proven to work with each other, they can keep working for years to come. That machine may or may not be powerful enough...I personally need at least two Win XP machines together for the resources I need for my larger projects.

Regarding using older machines/OS's as a multimedia center, that's something I'm actually planning on doing as I have 3 perfectly great running Win XP PC's sitting around, which I don't plan on using them for my normal internet usages, nor as music machines because they don't meet my desired specs of my current XP music machines.

I've said before, but for internet these days I use laptops with Win Vista, Win 7 & Win 8.

kangul wrote:Image
I'm glad the box it came in got smaller over time. It used to cost me a fortune in shipping.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:I'm glad the box it came in got smaller over time. It used to cost me a fortune in shipping.
:lol:

You do realize that's a normal box and Bill is just tiny..
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

:lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”