Still using windows 95 for your Daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would rather post this question in a existing thread but I can't find one.

anyone still using windows 95 for their Daw? I am genuinely interested. what about earlier? I wouldn't think many people do. but I picture a genius musician running windows 3.0 somewhere pumping out projects left and right.
Last edited by memyselfandus on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There should be some rules for how many threads one can start!

The clue is in the OP's name ...

EnGee wrote:There should be some rules for how many threads one can start!
I agree :hihi: and comments!! too many comments and your outa here!

maybe those who typically post the most threads can have a sticky where they ask questions there. only.

bumps should be outlawed IMHO

memyselfandus wrote:anyone still using windows 95 for their Daw? I am genuinely interested. what about earlier? I wouldn't think many people do. but I picture a genius musician running windows 3.0 somewhere pumping out projects left and right.
There are probably people using that kind of setup still, with Cubase or something like that.

As long as you got the hardware synths, you don't need much processing power to sequence them, even a Commodore 64 would be able to do that.

This picture belongs to this thread indeed.
Peace and tolerance

memyselfandus wrote:
bumps should be outlawed IMHO
Like this bump of yours? lol :wink:

My short answer is no, don't think I ever used Win 95 at all...?

Just months after I bought my very 1st computer, a 450 MHz Compaq Presario, with 126 MB of ram from Costco with Win 98 I believe... I built my 1st DAW which was Win 98, and then I got a Win XP upgrade disk. So basically, I've just about have always used Win XP for my music machines....which is where I'm staying for the foreseeable future.

I was a late starter with computers, I was past my mid 30's at the time, some where around 1998. But for those who used computers in the Win 95 era, especially for music machines, I'm sure there's a small number of people that may be using them for at least a midi sequencer, and a small number of capable audio track.

I'm personally not familiar with that era of computers, especially regarding using them for music. What was the ram limit at the time with Windows? I think my 1st computer (the Compaq) in around 98 was only able to have up to 1 GB ram (?) My very 1st audio interface, an Aardvark Q10 (which I still use on my XP machines) came out with Win 98 drivers. I've got to imagine there were many limitations to the Win 95 OS, but even more so, the limitations of the computer hardware at the time. I don't think ASIO had even been developled yet? Anyone who can shed some light on those limitations, feel free to share with those of us who had no experience during those days :)

I'm guessing the hardware of the 95 era was able to take on the Win XP home upgrade, no? If so, I'd think most who are still using that old hardware are using Win XP on them. I actually still have my old 1st Compaq computer in my closet. Since I have multiple same spec XP machines, I wouldn't bother even experimenting with it for music. If fact, my 1st DAW built on a single core AMD with 4 GB ram, which also has XP installed on it isn't getting any use for music either. My Intel based quad core XP machines run circles around it, and can be build/cloned fairly inexpensively.

Win 95 support ended in 2001, almost 15 years ago. The chances that anyone on KVR would still be running a DAW on Win 95 are probably about as much as the chance that one of us piloted the space shuttle. :)

But the OP probably knew that. :) Gotta have something to talk about I guess. :hihi:

Hey!!! I have an old PII computer running '95...and it loaded with old vsts and a couple of backdated old tracker programs...:x :x

Is called archiving... :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:Is called archiving... :hihi:
Best answer so far -- but it also means you're not that "genius musician running windows 3.0 somewhere pumping out projects left and right." :lol:
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

This is like the absolutely retarded thread the other day about XP.

XP users are the reason Windows gets seen as virus-ridden when literally Vista and every single version after XP is 99% more virus-proof.

I used one recently that came from a school that never updated the os, well in over a decade. It was unusable cpu wise and ram rise. I could install the program but couldn't work with any of the newer synths. Gave up on it. I couldn't even run vlc media player on the thing. Thing is I don't remember if this was 95 or 98 etc. Just it was really old.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:I used one recently that came from a school that never updated the os, well in over a decade. It was unusable cpu wise and ram rise. I could install the program but couldn't work with any of the newer synths. Gave up on it. I couldn't even run vlc media player on the thing. Thing is I don't remember if this was 95 or 98 etc. Just it was really old.
It could have been '95. There is a thread ... Old Free VSTi Gems that has a number of older synths and FX.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=177407
Barry

Axis1~SL61 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Is called archiving... :hihi:
Best answer so far -- but it also means you're not that "genius musician running windows 3.0 somewhere pumping out projects left and right." :lol:
:lol: :lol:

More like an archivist/collector than genius... :hihi:

There are some people who operate even older systems with programs like Bars And Pipes...
Barry

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”