RIP Tod Dockstader

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No longer a moderator.

sad ...
i was led to his music after being exposed to morton subotnick ...

RIP
indeed, as "Quatermass" and others...
sad day.

Another of the pioneers. I'm at least happy to learn that there is a documentary about him currently in production.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Another of the pioneers. I'm at least happy to learn that there is a documentary about him currently in production.
That is something I'd love to see.

RIP Tod... :( :(
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Very sad :( Loved this man's music - always interesting.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

:cry:

I have no words. One of my heroes. Experimental yet always accessible music.

Back in the day, when a friend mentioned him to me and I replied that I had not listened to any of his works, he reminded me that Dockstader's music was used in Fellini Satyricon which he knew I had seen.

His bio includes this:
He moved into work as a sound engineer in 1958, and apprenticed at Gotham Recording Studios, where he first started composing. […]After achieving modest recognition and radio play alongside the likes of Karlheinz Stockhausen, Edgard Varèse, and John Cage, Gotham Studios shut down and Dockstader found himself without access to recording facilities. He applied to a number of established electronic music institutions but was rejected by them for his lack of academic experience in the field. Notably, he received separate rejection letters from both Otto Luening and Vladimir Ussachevsky at the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center.
which should serve to remind us of the challenges faced by most who set out on the journey...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”