To Rid the world of you... New track. feedback?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2VkhVTByog8

I just started a couple of months ago with Fruity Loops 11... this is my latest track. I was going for a dreamy kind of sound... its also my first time really using the mixer... any feedback?

Very nice melody. The track has a mysterious quality.

I think you should use less reverb on the kick. The sonar ping could be lower in the mix.

Good stuff! :tu:

Thanks... come to think of it, it does sound like a sonar ping. I got it from a drum kit somewhere...

so too much reverb on the kick.. okay, I'll fix that... thanks...

Maybe try to soften the percussion sounds a little. It's quite a rigid rhythm too. Maybe you should vary it a little if a "dreamy" atmosphere is what you're after. You could try adding some variation to the velocity of the sounds a little to add a little more variation.

Mixwise, you could try panning some of the instruments a little. It's always a good idea to keep your bass and kick in the centre. "Spacing instruments out" will help to give the mix a little more clarity in addition to making it more interesting.

Reverbs can be tricky. In the worst case, they can really make a mix sound muddy. It might be an idea to turn them all off and listen to the track again. Then you can decide which instruments need reverb and add them back in, one by one, tweaking the parameters until you have a sound that you are happy with. Reverbs on bass instruments and kick drums can be difficult to setup correctly, as they can remove definition from the original sound.

I could hear a constant mid-frequency hiss/rumble all through this. Some instruments can generate these sounds if not EQd correctly, although it may have been intentional.

Did you perform any EQ on the individual mixer channels? A simple low and high pass EQ on each channel can work wonders in achieving clarity if that is what you're after. Getting rid of unnecessary high and low frequencies can help you to eliminate "mush" in the low end and unwanted high frequency energy.

Here is a very useful chart showing the frequency ranges of various instruments. I find this to be a very useful reference:-

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn ... isplay.htm

I hope this is useful info.

Wow thanks a lot. I didn't do any EQ on the individual mixer channels. I'm still familiarizing myself with how all these things work... when I get back home from work,I'll definitely retouch the track again...

Return to “Music Cafe”