additive synths ??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd say Harmor hands down. It has, in my opinion, the perfect amount of power and ease of use. Just read ANY review on Harmor and it'll tell u the same thing and more. Harmor's the shit. Image Line knows it's stuff when it comes to additive synths. Almost all of their synths function additively in some way.

Unfortunately I can only use the "alpha" version of Harmor in Ableton Live considering I'm using a Mac. Image line is still developing Mac VST versions of its plugins. They have yet to release any kind of AU "alpha" version (tho they say they are working on both VST and AU versions)

Harmor makes additive synthesis simpler than it should be. The ability to import and, near perfectly, recreate sounds from samples in the additive engine make it immensely powerful.
Alot of ppl don't know u can even drag in pictures (jpeg, png,) and Harmor scans the image and specturally synthesizes the image into a sound with partials....that's just str8 up voodoo goodness!

Harmor was 1 of the main synths used in the sound design for the Transformers movies. That should tell u just how good it is.

....I prefer to produce in Logic Pro X though. So usually my goto additive synth is Razor. Wish I could use Harmor in LPX for more creative additive stuff.

impOSCar 2 has additive synthesis also

I just use synth master. 8 partials to each additive oscillator. It sounds good and does the job.

I must be the only person on the planet that likes the gui.

LinPlug Octopus is very nice, providing FM with 8 additive oscillators using sample-based or user defined waveforms.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I'd also vote for Harmor. It's really nice although it's easy to forget it's an additive synth.

Mpowersynth is also a really powerful additive synth. People usually over look it, but it has 256 partials I believe and you can edit them all individually if you like. There are also some ways to make it easier so you don't have to , but the option is there if you want it.

I think these have not been mentioned yet.
Virsyn Poseidon - I'd say this is additive synthesis' PPG Wave V3. Great sounding and superb simple interface. A joy to work with.
Virsyn Cube - pretty complex synth that takes a bit to get used to.
Also Virsyn Tera has a nice additive component.

A general remark about Virsyn though: great synths but horrible company.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:I think these have not been mentioned yet.
Virsyn Poseidon - I'd say this is additive synthesis' PPG Wave V3. Great sounding and superb simple interface. A joy to work with.
Virsyn Cube - pretty complex synth that takes a bit to get used to.
Also Virsyn Tera has a nice additive component.

A general remark about Virsyn though: great synths but horrible company.
I use Virsyn MicroTERA alot for metallic additive sounds. it was magware in early 2000 and has the same great multi segment envelopes as Tera.
it was available on the keys and music tech magazine CDs and..... elsewhere :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Blade from Rob Papen is a pretty good additive synth imho. Sounds great and has a very nice trick up its sleeve with recording modulation loops within the XY screen.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

While not containing complex additive engines like e.g. Alchemy and Harmor (with envelopes for each partial etc.) there a quite a lot of synths with additive like waveform editors:

- GForce Imposcar 2 (simple additive editor for custom waveforms)
- Tone 2 Nemesis (FM synth with WAV import/export + 16 partials additive editor)
- PPG Wavegenerator (additive like waveform editor, up to 256 waveforms in a wavetable, wavetables could be used in PPG Wavemapper 2)
- Dmitry Sches Diversion (WAV import/export + additive like editor with many partials)
- Linplug Spectral (additive like editor, blending between two waveforms, editor for creating your own filter shape)
- Ableton Operator (FM synth with additive like waveform editor)
- Xfer Serum
- Waldorf Nave (PC/Mac plugin currently in Beta ; partials editor in the 3D wavetable display)
- Audio Term (freeware for creating wavetables for several different synths including e.g. PPG Wavegenerator, DUNE 2 and Serum, has a waveform editor and could load from WAV files)
-
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Anything new for 2016? Is Alchemy still the most fully featured.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Harmor, no doubt !

wait for Icarus, the last tone2 product...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am_mDrA ... e=youtu.be

...I beg you to listen carefully to the last feature shown is this preview (about 2'20'') !

:wink:

dadunn1700 wrote:
Harmor was 1 of the main synths used in the sound design for the Transformers movies.

Really? Where did you read that?

Return to “Instruments”