Waves Native pricing to be retired.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Andy Gone wrote:Yup, Slate already offers subscription too.
I have no problem with offering.
However when offering is replaced with requires, that's when I'll get upset.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

WUP is an attempt at continued revenue streams after purchase, a sort of subscription but not exactly. It's probably that ambiguity, do you need WUP, when do you need, how much is it, how much will it go up overtime.....that causes a lot of problems in itself

I'm sure a lot of companies are watching how the Slate subscription model pans out with great interest.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Andy Gone wrote:Yup, Slate already offers subscription too.
I have no problem with offering.
However when offering is replaced with requires, that's when I'll get upset.
Agree.
kenobi77 wrote:WUP is an attempt at continued revenue streams after purchase, a sort of subscription but not exactly. It's probably that ambiguity, do you need WUP, when do you need, how much is it, how much will it go up overtime.....that causes a lot of problems in itself
<....>
Not really. It's not a subscription at all. You are not obliged to keep WUP paid every year to have your plugins working (unlike subscription). Personally I have no prob with WUP.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Aloysius wrote:Should we get Waves Native pricing a retirement present?
LOL... it would have to be a gold watch bundle, right?
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

8) :hihi:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'd give wave GTR 3.5 and Maserati DRM a present. I'd buy them for 20 bucks each :ud:

(now, WHO would be doing that? )

Not really. It's not a subscription at all. You are not obliged to keep WUP paid every year to have your plugins working (unlike subscription). Personally I have no prob with WUP.

But if you do not update the WUP any features, or more important bugfixes, will not be available to you until you pay. I remember that when I had to dole out for WUP to get the 64 bit versions of some of my plugs that fell past the WUP expiry date. I was not too impressed with that.

At least with the CW subscription, you get to keep what you have got after 12 months and like the WUP, your software is frozen in time with no added features or upgrades until you re-subscribe. But you do not have to pay any more than the 12 month subscription. With WUP you pay for the plugin and then you pay again when you get the WUP updated...and you will eventually have to update when something you need comes along...like 64 bit.

But what do you need to update right now? If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I'll be more than happy to provide you with my PayPal address.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:

But if you do not update the WUP any features, or more important bugfixes, will not be available to you until you pay. I remember that when I had to dole out for WUP to get the 64 bit versions of some of my plugs that fell past the WUP expiry date. I was not too impressed with that.

At least with the CW subscription, you get to keep what you have got after 12 months and like the WUP, your software is frozen in time with no added features or upgrades until you re-subscribe. But you do not have to pay any more than the 12 month subscription. With WUP you pay for the plugin and then you pay again when you get the WUP updated...and you will eventually have to update when something you need comes along...like 64 bit.
But not getting 64-bit without WUP, that would mean upgrade from pre v9 to v9 - won't it?
Wihtout WUP system that would mean major version upgrade anyway, by any vendor.

But with v9 licensed - you get updates from v9r1-to now if v9r25 or so - where r is revision with bugfixes, some enhancements like now supporting 96k, or 192k as max samplerate etc. Quite a few plugins were 48k max when I purchased two years ago - to my surprise.

But getting Vitamin for free in Gold bundle would not be without WUP(or within a year from purchase).

Purchasing wup also get you a voucher on same amount to buy some more stuff. Bundles 50% off, single plugins 25% off.

My WUP is now lapsed, but I can still update with bugfixes in the new revisions of installer.

But I like Cake style too, nothing there to offend me. But it's nothing different from WUP, really, but that bugfixes after lapsed subscription are not for free. But real world with Cake before was bugfixes within 4 months or so and the rest left for next major release anyway.

But not getting 64-bit without WUP, that would mean upgrade from pre v9 to v9 - won't it?
Wihtout WUP system that would mean major version upgrade anyway, by any vendor.
Yes, some of them were quite old come to think of it. :?
But with v9 licensed - you get updates from v9r1-to now if v9r25 or so - where r is revision with bugfixes, some enhancements like now supporting 96k, or 192k as max samplerate etc. Quite a few plugins were 48k max when I purchased two years ago - to my surprise.
Didn't know that but then again I only have one Waves plug at this time (NLS) so...

Purchasing wup also get you a voucher on same amount to buy some more stuff. Bundles 50% off, single plugins 25% off.
True enough but if you do not want or cannot afford the WUP and another purchase, that voucher expires. One time, I got to use it, the next time I did not.

But I like Cake style too, nothing there to offend me. But it's nothing different from WUP, really, but that bugfixes after lapsed subscription are not for free. But real world with Cake before was bugfixes within 4 months or so and the rest left for next major release anyway.
That, I hope, is going to be something that a subscription-based CW is going to resolve. If they leave things too long, they risk users stopping their subscriptions. However, I just received an update this morning..so far so good!

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Didn't know that but then again I only have one Waves plug at this time (NLS) so...
And it cost $16.70 to renew wup for that alone.
You can go by product - and just renew for a product you have problem with.

Or go with the lot - which is cheaper if you got enough.
And buying from a retailer also makes it cheaper than $300 max at Waves store.

I find it really fair principles....

Prices went up!

Not everything went up but most of them did. A few products I checked did go down, but not by much. Gold and Silver bundles stayed the same. Most things I spot checked(I made a list of prices for about 30-40 products last week) ended up going up about 25%. Soundgrid products were always 33% higher than Native before.

Their "sales" still seem to be in the ~65% off range, but since the starting point is higher the final price is higher.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out for them.
-Matt

Personally I find they're nice to have at their blow-out prices, but at full price much much better stuff out there.

So that's pretty much it for my Waves collection then. And I feel completely indifferent about it. I guess that proves they're simply surgical tools with little heart or soul. FabFilter/SoundToys on the other hand :love:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

All of this just a last ditch effort for Waves to make some sales. Trying to scare people into make some moves. Nothing really changed. Just enough that they could keep their word after the big announcement...and it'll all go back down.
The most popular bundles and plugins are still the same price.

Nobodys buying doubler, so lets raise the price of that.......lol ive never even heard of anyone specifically buying doubler.

Seriously, when i see a price of $250 for vocal rider, $550 for the L3-16 ...its almost like they dont want you to buy.
There ya have it...

Return to “Effects”