Roland XV 2020

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any views on this synth module? Is it worth the $150/€135/£100 I can get it for 2nd hand in my country? Seems to integrate well with a DAW despite it's age (2002) but I can't find any sound demos actually showing off some of the presets.
Any owners around here?

I would rather go for a JV1080 or JV5080. The 2020 is just a preset machine, you can't tweak much without the software editor

themusicproducerblog wrote:I would rather go for a JV1080 or JV5080. The 2020 is just a preset machine, you can't tweak much without the software editor
The editor is easily available for download on Rolands site, I'd be happy to use it.:-)

http://roland.com/support/article/?q=do ... &p=XV-2020
Last update was in 2006 though, I have no idea whether i runs on anything newer than Windows xp.

1994 – Roland JV-1080 Super JV 64 Voice Sound Module: Roland's 64-voice Super JV synthesizer module, it used the JV sample set with the JD series filters and a fast RISC processor for very smooth envelopes. Used on more recordings than any other module in history [citation needed], the JV-1080 boasts a full range of acclaimed Roland sounds, as well as four expansion slots (edit: 4x SR-JV80).

1997 – Roland JV-2080 64 Voice Synthesizer Module, 3x Effects, 8x Expansion (edit: 8x SR-JV80): Updated Super JV module This is the pinnacle of the JV Series in module version.

2000 - Roland XV-3080 Sound Module: Essentially a Super JV module updated to 128-voices, and taking SRX expansion boards (edit: 4x SR-JV80, 2x SRX).

2000 - Roland XV-5080 Sound Module: True next generation synthesizer module and basis for the Fantom series of workstations. New high bit-depth samples, 128-voices, takes SRX expansion boards (edit: 4x SR-JV80, 4x SRX), and capable of loading sampler data (edit: not a sampler).

Keyboard versions:

1995 – Roland XP-50 Music Workstation, 64 Voice, 4x Expansion : Basically a JV-1080 with a MRC-Pro sequencer.

1996 – Roland XP-80 Music Workstation, 64 Voice, 4x Expansion: JV2080 with a MRC Pro Sequencer . 64-voice music workstation. 4x expansion instead of the 8x the JV2080 has. This is the pinnacle of the JV Series in Keyboard version.

2000 - Roland XV-88 Keyboard: Essentially a XV-3080 module with an 88-key keyboard and 4 expansion slots.

Wiki

PS except the XV-5080 you can buy these racks for about $150 (1080)-300. Keyboards are more expensive.

The fantom XR sells for $450-$500. The integra 7 just dropped to $1499.

Even Vintage Synth Explorer didn't list this, so I did some digging and found a Sound on Sound article on it from 2002. (SOS is a great magazine, by the way. Just wish it wasn't so expensive over here!)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov02/a ... xv2020.asp

In short, SOS found that "As with the JV1010, the XV2020 delivers all the quality of the flagship XV models at a much lower cost by reducing the number of expansion cards, allowing serious editing via software only and providing only two outputs. Instant gratification in a box!"

Another review is here: http://en.audiofanzine.com/sound-module ... r_reviews/

If you can get the editor for free, it might be worth downloading it, trying it on your current system and seeing if it will at least open and try to connect to a hardware synth. It won't be able to edit the synth, but if it doesn't crash, you may be able to use it.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

The JV's are much better than the XV's.

Get a JV2080 if you can.

Kriminal, Would rather have Jv 2080 over the XV 5080?

bill45 wrote:Kriminal, Would rather have Jv 2080 over the XV 5080?
Yes. Its loads cheaper. The XV doesnt offer me enough extra to warrant the cost. No interest in JD waveforms etc.

Essentially the JV-1080 is the best choice IMO.
However, it depends on what you want.
If you want presets only the XV-2020 can come in pretty handy.
An SR-JV80 expansion goes for $50-150..
and the SRX series for even more. Just saying.
Basically the expansions are soundbanks, but they are prints which you have to place inside your equipment. You have to replace them every time you want to load another sound set. Which is pretty odd. There are 21 different SR-JV80 expansion boards FYI so things could still end up pretty costly :hihi:

Love the brass in the jv 2080,but some prefer 1080.
I'm looking ing into a phantom xr too. maybe an intergra 7.

1080 is really quite easy to edit via that front panel, and they are
cheap. what you get from expansion cards...mainly a load more
factory presets and a few waveforms.

with the 2020 you'd be forced to use the editor, which could be a
good thing...? small size is good too, for some people. but you only
get 2 outs.

this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov02/a ... xv2020.asp

Had a 2020, terrible loud inherent noise when connected via USB. Couldn't stand it.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

what is this one like, the XV5080? has user sample ram. seems like it
would be worth pushing the boat out for if the price isn't too high.
at least you're not stuck with buying samples and factory patches on
cards - and what i don't get is...*why* didn't each expansion give
more user memories?! 128 user preset/64 user perf is not enough for
these machines.(note error in this article as he forgets the D-series,
as first exponents of 4 partials to a voice roland system)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov00/a ... xv5080.htm

edit: ugh no...loses user sample data on power down...and all samples
load into preset and performance slots - which are already thin on the
ground.

with Flash ram and separate memories would have been much better.
eg: samples, go to: e-mu e5000 or something like that.

I actually stumbled across the XV 2020 by coincidence on a danish 2nd hand site and since I'd never heard of it I thought I'd open up a thread about it here. I read the Sound On Sound review as part of my research and they seemed to like it a lot. I'm not really on the market for a synth module at all but this seemed cheap and was readily available in my neighborhood.
The fantom XR sells for $450-$500. The integra 7 just dropped to $1499.
Buying in the US isn't an option. The danish toll/tax system will pick it up and triple the price for sure! I have to stick to my own country for this I'm afraid.
I may take the plunge and get something later though. I never owned a roland instrument in my life and feel like I probably should at some point :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”