One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One thing I think we can agree on, is that we need to keep the OSC mostly fresh and exciting if possible :hyper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ1XwGDcA4

Ok, I just tested both Dexed and Locomotiv on Mac and PC. I have test sequences that I use for other things, so this is probably pretty reliable. The parts are fairly complex, some mono and some big chords.

Mac spec = OSX 10.10.1, 3.7 ghz, 32 Gb ram (nice machine)
PC spec = Win7 2.5 ghz pentium, 8 Gb ram (very slow + ugly interface = not so nice)

Both synths worked fairly well...
Locomotiv -> Windows = 8 instances, Mac 46 instances.
Dexed -> Windows = 7 instances, Mac 54 instances.

As a comparison for Windows, Eclipsis made the machine whimper at around 7 instances and was never really useable enough for me to want to continue (hence, my absence from this month's contest). I am impatient.

In this case, the PC worked ok. Better than I hoped, in fact, for both.

@wagtunes » It looks to me that it is a requirement. Many of the competitions to which you refer took place prior to those synths being released. At least, that seems to be the case with the u-he synths.

Locomotive looks really cool for an OSC -- it's so incredibly basic but it seems to be capable of some good sounds. Playing with it now.

mkd wrote:Ok, I just tested both Dexed and Locomotiv on Mac and PC. I have test sequences that I use for other things, so this is probably pretty reliable. The parts are fairly complex, some mono and some big chords.

Mac spec = OSX 10.10.1, 3.7 ghz, 32 Gb ram (nice machine)
PC spec = Win7 2.5 ghz pentium, 8 Gb ram (very slow + ugly interface = not so nice)

Both synths worked fairly well...
Locomotiv -> Windows = 8 instances, Mac 46 instances.
Dexed -> Windows = 7 instances, Mac 54 instances.

As a comparison for Windows, Eclipsis made the machine whimper at around 7 instances and was never really useable enough for me to want to continue (hence, my absence from this month's contest). I am impatient.

In this case, the PC worked ok. Better than I hoped, in fact, for both.

@wagtunes » It looks to me that it is a requirement. Many of the competitions to which you refer took place prior to those synths being released. At least, that seems to be the case with the u-he synths.
:tu: :tu:

bjporter wrote:
mkd wrote:Ok, I just tested both Dexed and Locomotiv on Mac and PC. I have test sequences that I use for other things, so this is probably pretty reliable. The parts are fairly complex, some mono and some big chords.
Hmm. I'm itching for a nice FM synth. Don't much like FM8 honestly; VOPM was not my cup of tea, either... great to hear these seemed to work well on both platforms!

I just downloaded Dexed. Wow - this is a deep instrument. I understand the basic concept of FM (multiplying sine waves to produce rich harmonics, right?), but I don't have a clue how to make this synth do what I want it to do yet. Nevertheless, I'd welcome the challenge. I can't think of a better motivator to finally dive in and teach myself the FM method.

Another thing I kinda like about this plugin is that it's pure synth - no built-in effects.

That's my 2 cents...

-Steve

esteband wrote:I just downloaded Dexed. Wow - this is a deep instrument. I understand the basic concept of FM (multiplying sine waves to produce rich harmonics, right?), but I don't have a clue how to make this synth do what I want it to do yet. Nevertheless, I'd welcome the challenge. I can't think of a better motivator to finally dive in and teach myself the FM method.

Another thing I kinda like about this plugin is that it's pure synth - no built-in effects.
Of course it is basically a Yamaha DX7 in software, which was/is a pretty impressive synthesizer in its own right. Had one for decades before turning all software and got FM7 to replace it in software. Have been doing without a good FM-synth since I moved to a 'all freeware plugins' setup, but now with Dexed I have my beloved DX7 sound spectrum back in my studio :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Dexed is great. I got my DX7 sometime in the 80s. Hated programming it because the interface was so clunky. This interface is a dream and makes things very easy. I hope they choose it for an OSC someday, Should be a lot of fun.

Just downloaded Dexed and a DX7 manual today. Really sweet stuff. (And it seems I finally got beyond creating basic metallic bell sounds with FM. Yay! :) )

Awesome, so at least 3 synths so far are getting a lot of interest :hyper:

Next month will be an OSC special, but the month after looks like we have some options.

DX7 is/was one of my all time favorite synths. I'd love to do a Dexed contest. And yay for anything mac compatible!

jasinski wrote:And yay for anything mac compatible!
+1

jasinski wrote:DX7 is/was one of my all time favorite synths. I'd love to do a Dexed contest. And yay for anything mac compatible!
Of course... your VOPM track was very good, the FM synthesis force is strong in you!

I'll credit the synthesizer theory private lessons I got in college :)

What has happened to Kraftraum? I liked his critiques and he was always very generous and encouraging in his comments.

Return to “Instruments”