Why don't developers offer payment in instalments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's that weird squiggly line thing next to the 99? :shrug:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

basslinemaster wrote:Can't win with you, isn't that how it works? Cakewalk is offering PAYMENT IN INSTALMENTS, yet everybody on this thread is attacking this idea - so why aren't you attacking Cakewalk for doing the same thing as I suggested?
Buying Sonar platinum outright is $500. Doing a 12-month payment plan is $50/mo = $600.

That's a 20% increase in price for the convenience of the 12-month payment plan.

Any guesses why there's a 20% difference?
You need to limit that rez, bro.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Assuming the OP is in the uk, why not set up a bank overdraft.
Theyre cheap a chips since they overhauled the repayment schemes and now you pay a reasonable interest on the amount you have gone over of the actual available money in your account.

I think I was over by about £200 over christmas and was charged £0.77....bargain!
Better than the previous £25 charge for going over!
This thread takes the cake for having an oblivious OP. However, this is actually interesting. Did the U.K. basically decide that if they bank pays the overdraft then they, in fact, were loaning you the money, hence usury laws applied? I'm very curious to the reasoning behind this, it sounds very consumer friendly. Yes, I could look it up, but what's the fun in that. Much better to derail this idiotic conversation about nonsense.

basslinemaster wrote:
quantum7 wrote:Interesting topic. If you need to make payments for a measly $100 piece of software, you may want to rethink your long-term financial strategy, or you will be dirt-poor your entire life. Most of us have been stupid in our youth with over-extending our credit debt. Heck, it took me 40k in CC debt in my mid-30's before I finally wised up, sacrificed and paid everything off in by the time I was 40. I now only have only 1 CC only for emergencies, own my vehicles, and only finance my home. I make more money in my mid-40's than I've ever made in my life, but am not at all tempted to finance anything other than my home. Due to my financial strategy I'm happy to say that I have a $500 per month music budget that doesn't at all stress my family's budget at all. Not being a slave to debt is the greatest feeling in the world. :tu:
Another American who can't tell the difference between the £ sign and the $ sign. You do know there are other countries outside of the USA, right? They aren't 'counties' WITHIN the USA, do you know that?
I specifically said £99 - that's U.K. POUNDS, not dollars. It is about $150. And it's nothing to do with ME not being able to afford a VST. Sheesh...
Nice to hear about your wonderful financial situation, however, it is totally irrelevant to my proposal...
I changed it to £100 now- happy? The extra $50 American make absolutely no difference....which is why I referenced the currency of MY country. Hey, I understand somewhat where you are coming from in your thread topic, but I would have to POLITELY agree with most everyone else that it would be too much of a hassle for developers. Maybe for products that cost over $500 I could see it making more sense, but for $150 (or £100 for those of you in the UK) I just don't see it being practical. But hey, good for you in thinking of ideas. Some of the greatest ideas in history may have sounded impractical at first.

You say that sales will increase if they adopt this model. What evidence do you have to support that belief? If you are correct, how much will sales increase? 
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

quantum7 wrote:Hey, I understand somewhat where you are coming from in your thread topic, but I would have to POLITELY agree with most everyone else that it would be too much of a hassle for developers. Maybe for products that cost over $500 I could see it making more sense, but for $150 (or £100 for those of you in the UK) I just don't see it being practical.
This idea is just another way for users to get something for nothing... putting the infrastructure burden on the developer with no extra cost to the buyer. It is no different than users constantly asking for prices to be cheaper.

To compensate the developer in the case of $150 software, there could be 3 $60 payments for a total of $180...

pdxindy wrote:
quantum7 wrote:Hey, I understand somewhat where you are coming from in your thread topic, but I would have to POLITELY agree with most everyone else that it would be too much of a hassle for developers. Maybe for products that cost over $500 I could see it making more sense, but for $150 (or £100 for those of you in the UK) I just don't see it being practical.
This idea is just another way for users to get something for nothing... putting the infrastructure burden on the developer with no extra cost to the buyer. It is no different than users constantly asking for prices to be cheaper.

To compensate the developer in the case of $150 software, there could be 3 $60 payments for a total of $180...
True. But, you see, he is suggesting 150£ at three payments 50£/term. Which would, in effect, put the firm on a less secure position. :dog:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Sooooooo, basically the OP is proposing a subscription model only wants to call it something else.

Wasnt there a new service being set up for this

http://launch.gobbler.com/

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/01/s ... -software/
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I think he's proposing a paid time-limited demo that is unlocked once you've made all the payments. Don't a lot of devs already offer a free unrestricted 30 day trial ... :? Ableton for example.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I think he's proposing a paid time-limited demo that is unlocked once you've made all the payments. Don't a lot of devs already offer a free unrestricted 30 day trial ... :? Ableton for example.
It also makes things sticky as far as piracy goes. They have to make sure that their *added* copy protection holds up for the 30 and 60 day periods, rather than people being able to bypass that and pay 1/3 the cost.

There's also developers that make sure they have demos that *can't* be unlocked to slow down crackers. If the crackers could get a hold of something for 1/3 the cost... :dog:
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

in all seriousness, devs could make a killing accepting payments as there are many
gas users out there that would gladly pay $25 a month for 6 months for a $100 plugin

or even $3.33 a month for a year for a $20 plugin
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

How about this radical concept?

Saving for it?

Forget it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWOooAHs8-o
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

plugins want you to want them NOW. and you can not resist them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJs_L7yq5qE
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

basslinemaster, what you fail to realize is just because you use the word "sell" doesn't mean it's not effectively a loan. a loan doesn't become a sale when you call it a sale - it's still a loan. a developer LOANS you the right to use the full version on the condition that you pay for it in installments. DRM, no DRM, coupons, automated, manual, doesn't matter - it's still a financing scheme, so a loan by definition. regardless of how it works. if you don't pay the full price outright - that's a loan, end of story. Joe the developer's product costs X, so he sells it to you but he's not getting X until three months later, despite the sale happening now. how is that not a loan? why is this so hard to understand, and why do you keep thinking that "BUT IT'S A SALE, NOT A LOAN BECAUSE I USE THE WORD SALE INSTEAD OF LOAN" is a valid argument to support your position?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

layzer wrote:in all seriousness, devs could make a killing accepting payments as there are many
gas users out there that would gladly pay $25 a month for 6 months for a $100 plugin

or even $3.33 a month for a year for a $20 plugin
As has already been pointed out, you can do that now, it's called a credit card, and they still pretty much hand them out like candy. It isn't like it was ten years ago, but they aren't that hard to get.

Return to “Instruments”