FL Studio 12 BETA available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

Big bloody flamesuit on here, cause I suspect I will be toasted.

I was a FL user until I went OSX and I suspect I will start using it again if it ever becomes a native app for Mac. I know some users tend to view FL as the gift of the gods, and while I've always enjoyed it - I've had the feeling during the updates for the last 2-3 years that... well, I don't know. The updates are pretty thin, no? I mean cool additions and useful features etc - but they always felt to me as a repainting of a room rather than a structural change/improvement on a deeper level.

Maybe that's just my connection with FL speaking here. Maybe the improvements are bigger and more important than I think.

Seriously - no trolling here. I honestly wait for the day when/if FL comes to OSX. I do miss it. But I also do feel the innovation has lost a bit of momentum during the last couple of years.

Right/wrong/BURN YOU HERETIC? :D

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:Big bloody flamesuit on here, cause I suspect I will be toasted.

I was a FL user until I went OSX and I suspect I will start using it again if it ever becomes a native app for Mac. I know some users tend to view FL as the gift of the gods, and while I've always enjoyed it - I've had the feeling during the updates for the last 2-3 years that... well, I don't know. The updates are pretty thin, no? I mean cool additions and useful features etc - but they always felt to me as a repainting of a room rather than a structural change/improvement on a deeper level.

Maybe that's just my connection with FL speaking here. Maybe the improvements are bigger and more important than I think.

Seriously - no trolling here. I honestly wait for the day when/if FL comes to OSX. I do miss it. But I also do feel the innovation has lost a bit of momentum during the last couple of years.

Right/wrong/BURN YOU HERETIC? :D

/C
No flamethrowing here, but I mostly disagree. I feel the updates have been steadily improving it since inception (the only major jump in "innovation" being the change from FruityLoops to FLStudio). The last couple of incarnations have made even more of a pleasure to use for me. And that's fine with me. I don't even make use of half the improvements they make - I'm so used to doing things the way I've been doing them! I think FLS 12 has some nice improvements, even beyond the GUI changes which do make a fair bit of difference in every day use for me. I said "mostly disagree" because there probably isn't such massive innovation really, but then I don't think many other daws have massive innovations between updates - new daws tend to bring more innovation from inception, but don't tend to make leaps and bounds once they're out.

That said, I do understand why ex-pc mac-users would miss it. I don't think every daw developer should pander to every computing decision of each user though - I can see why users and Image-Line both might *want* to have a native mac FLS, but not that they *need* to have one. There's plenty of stuff that's mac-only, so the reverse is not such a crazy proposition. I remember a time when a mac version was absolutely out of the question (reiterated in every "What's New" document), so the possibility that there might eventually be one is more than they ever promised.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

DrGonzo wrote:The updates are pretty thin, no?
Compared to what?

Anyhow FL Studio 12 is certainly a serious update, with plenty more added since we made this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40x-WoAe3NM

As for native OS X, we are working on it...cost to existing customers? Free.

https://support.image-line.com/knowledg ... hp?ans=114

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

[quote=As for native OS X, we are working on it...cost to existing customers? Free.

Regards Scott[/quote]
:D
I was wondering about that.
Very Cool!
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Regnas wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Is there a way to download FL 1? I would love to mess with it for nostalgia :)
http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/hist ... -studio-10
Oh! Cool! thank you :hyper:

Image-Line wrote:
Compared to what?

Anyhow FL Studio 12 is certainly a serious update, with plenty more added since we made this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40x-WoAe3NM

As for native OS X, we are working on it...cost to existing customers? Free.

https://support.image-line.com/knowledg ... hp?ans=114

Regards Scott
Multiple Time Sigs please :hyper:

The thing about the updates is that they seem to be primarily focussed on a specific aspect. For example, there was a lot of work on integrating live mode a while back. If you're not interested in live mode, then obviously you don't really perceive any benefits. I guess that the people that were looking to use FL live think that that was a massive update. There are lots of little changes that you might also not notice until you need the function - but lots of minor improvements add up over time.

A lot of work is going in to the new interface for FL 12 - and overall that's probably a good thing, especially if Sytrus becomes visible again. Some people aren't going to care, others are going to love it. Maybe with FL 13 we'll get some more of the stuff that I'd really love to see :)

But even if we don't, I bought FL because of the state it was in at that point in time. The way I see it, the updates are a nice bonus, even if some of them don't float your specific boat. Won't stop me wanting certain features though.

sjm wrote:The way I see it, the updates are a nice bonus, even if some of them don't float your specific boat. Won't stop me wanting certain features though.
My question to DrGonzo was FL Studio's updates were thin compared to what? Last time I looked one of our competitors wanted $199 for adding drag and drop or a revised browser and some trinkets.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:I also feel that innovation has stopped a bit
What I think happens here is that after the novelty and wonder of DAW music production wears of, people start to take for granted what does happen after that. It's psychology not development that is the issue here ;)

For example, go look at the current mixer. How is this not innovation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiXjjekoSEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1ZOg9bssk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkjnm1skZk0

Regards Scott

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image-Line wrote:
Compared to what?
I was mainly comparing it with previous versions of FL 4-5 years ago, and not with other DAWs. But as a few posters have pointed out the last updates have been very focusing on very specific aspect - which is a very good thing! I would also put it like Chapelle that the innovation have slowed down a bit, but when thinking about it, maybe the development just have changed character.
Image-Line wrote: As for native OS X, we are working on it...cost to existing customers? Free.
If that would happen, I would be all over it. I truly miss the workflow of FL.
Free is truly generous, but I think many OSX users would gladly add a few bucks to make it happen for real...
Copy/Paste from web wrote: we can't make any promises yet
...as there still seem to be a big question mark if it really would happen.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

If FL would give me proper audio recording, directly to the playlist, etc...its all been said before. Then FL would become the only DAW I had. Until then other shall remain. That is FL's one real weakness yet is the way they treat audio. I just want to add an audio track , hit record and then put it in the playlist like any other track. Then if I need to do something other than basic cuts I will happily load it into an editor. But for basic cuts, moves, things like that audio needs to be treated like any other source

shadoe42 wrote:If FL would give me proper audio recording, directly to the playlist, etc...its all been said before. Then FL would become the only DAW I had.
Record audio to playlist: Arm a Mixer track by selecting an input or clicking on the disk recording..
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

shadoe42 wrote:I just want to add an audio track...

You don't have to add any audio tracks because you can put an audio clip on any existing track you wish once it's recorded. I really couldn't be easier.
shadoe42 wrote:...hit record and then put it in the playlist like any other track. Then if I need to do something other than basic cuts I will happily load it into an editor. But for basic cuts, moves, things like that audio needs to be treated like any other source
You can do all of that also believe it or not. Does anyone ever even attempt to explore or learn any of this stuff before complaining about what FL-Studio can't do?

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”