New Synth - Help me choose !

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking to purchase a new HW synth that fits my budget.

Have the following options -
a. Arturia Brutes - Love to program with white noise so it means i am left with the Mini or Mini SE.
b. Waldorf Pulse / Blofeld - The reviews seem nice but they say the filter is really dull?
c. Novation Bass Station.
d. The Korg Aira

Unfortunately, these are the only synths available in my region that fit my budget.

Requirements -
need a good sounding synth that is versatile too - i mean I don't want to limit myself to just creating bass sounds. Keybed does not matter as I will hook it to my Mac (and midi controller). I love adding white noise or using it to create sounds.
Might also add that this will be my last purchase till next year (Saving for modular).

Skill - Intermediate. I have had the MiniTaur and a Subphatty for a while now and been using em a lot to create new sounds but would like to purchase another synth now, to add variety.

mixwell wrote:Looking to purchase a new HW synth that fits my budget.

Have the following options -
a. Arturia Brutes - Love to program with white noise so it means i am left with the Mini or Mini SE.
b. Waldorf Pulse / Blofeld - The reviews seem nice but they say the filter is really dull?
c. Novation Bass Station.
d. The Korg Aira

Unfortunately, these are the only synths available in my region that fit my budget.

Requirements -
need a good sounding synth that is versatile too - i mean I don't want to limit myself to just creating bass sounds. Keybed does not matter as I will hook it to my Mac (and midi controller). I love adding white noise or using it to create sounds.
Might also add that this will be my last purchase till next year (Saving for modular).

Skill - Intermediate. I have had the MiniTaur and a Subphatty for a while now and been using em a lot to create new sounds but would like to purchase another synth now, to add variety.

Korg aira ? Or Roland ? Anyway as you already have the subphatty I think the Waldorf are the most versatile and might compliment the best your arsenal. But if you only want *standard* analog the brute might be a good choice as well.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I have a Microbrute, which I love, and have been eying up the Mini SE wth it's onboard sequencer ... so for me that's the one. As already pointed out the Arai is by Roland not Korg. Are you able to go demo any of these?

tbh I'd rather have a Sub Phatty, but it's a bit pricey for me atm. Good luck choosing.

Why not buy a used synth thats in your budget? The MiniBrute is the best from your list, but you can pick up some decent stuff for the same or less (new) price.

I would look for a second-hand Korg Radias.
Great sound, very versatile and plenty of knobs.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Double post.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Fyi- The brutes, and BS2 are both mono. So can't play chords. I own the microbrute and it's sound makes you pull faces it's so good. There is a knob per function. However, there is no noise generator on the micro and no patch memory on either Brute.

The BS2 has a lot of features for the money. Heaps of patch memory (I think around 70+), and a knob per function. It has a noise generator.

I own the Roland System 1 and the sound is excellent. There is a knob per function, so editing is a pleasure, and there is the ability to upgrade with additional synth models. The SH1 and SH2 models are excellent. It has 4 note poly, but some synth models may only be mono.You have the option to use the synth models as a vsti in your daw, or you can load 1 synth,in addition to the onboard System 1 synth, into the actual unit to play without the need for a computer. However you can only save 8 presets if you use this "plug-out" option. So you can effectively use the unit as 2 separate synths with 8 presets each without a pc. The keyboard also makes a great controller because each knob is marked with it's function so you can map it to any vsti's corresponding knob. However, it's not velocity sensitive.

I own the Blofeld as well. It's plusses are increased polyphony and multitimbrality. It's a very good sounding synth. However, programming patches is a pain in the ass for me. A lot of menu jumping.
I believe, like the Blofeld, the Pulse 2 requires menu hopping to program. It isn't polyphonic, but it is paraphonic (I'm not really sure what the difference is).

Minibrute SE is a good contrast to go with the Moog sound. It will also give you good CV options which you can incoporate into your future modular which will not be so easy with the others on your list.

It has a more immediate knob per function interface compared to the Waldorf's.

Negatives on the Mini are possible build quality issues - check Arutria forums..I had problems too but have finally recieved a new Brute.

I would be considering between the Mini and BSII. I have only heard great stuff about the BSII.

I went through the same list a year or two ago and ended up buying a Novation Ultranova. Couldn't be happier with it.

Mostly for live use though, so your mileage may vary...
I'm the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

For a VA alternative, grab an M-Audio Venom. Cheap as chips and fantastic sound. Piss easy to program and rivals any soft synth.

The Microbrute has CV outs for its LFO and envelope which can expand the capabilities of your Minitaur to some extent. Pulse and sawtooth LFO waveforms for one thing. Both synths have audio in as well so maybe you can get some sort of crazy feedback loop going on.

Own the Pulse 2, love it. For me, easily the best on your list.

More than menu-diving, it's matrix-jumping as it's all laid out in front of you. Not the same as one knob per function but quick for me.

And it sounds - immense. And it's built to last, it seems.

thank you guys ! :)

Yes its Roland Aira. forgot that.

I have previewed all the synths i mentioned except the Pulse 2 and I love the fat-ness of the Brutes and how easy they are to program but then the build issues. in fact, the unit i tested had issues with the keybed.
Aira comes with plug out synths and it means there are a lot of possibilities and they sound good too. If i am correct, doesn't the filter have some weird routing or something? and does the synth respond to velocity if i use my MIDI Kb or logic's piano roll instead?
There's also the new JD-xi but have no idea how it sounds.

as far as buying a used synth is concerned, it will be very hard to get hold of one considering i live in India and if i order from Ebay UK or HK, the shipping will be around 200-300$ alone. and then the customs. Also, the Ultranova is expensive here. I don't wanna spend much as I am definitely going to create a modular setup next year.

One more synth i forgot to mention - The MS20 Mini.

You should add Roland jd-xi on that list also ;)
I am waiting for mine to arrive soon.

It contains 2-digital synths with 128 polyphony and one analog mono synth + own drum channel.

the 128 polyphony is also shared with the drum channel but the analog has it's own 1 polyhony.

So it is basicly a 129 polyphony synthstation.

It also have cool Audio vocal effects :tu:

Pretty hard to beat for the price it sells for.

Oh i also forgot to mention built in excellent soundcard where everything from the synth goes thru usb so no extra audio cables needed if you use the built in soundcard.

D-Fusion wrote:You should add Roland jd-xi on that list also ;)
I am waiting for mine to arrive soon.

It contains 2-digital synths with 128 polyphony and one analog mono synth + own drum channel.

the 128 polyphony is also shared with the drum channel but the analog has it's own 1 polyhony.

So it is basicly a 129 polyphony synthstation.

It also have cool Audio vocal effects :tu:

Pretty hard to beat for the price it sells for.

Oh i also forgot to mention built in excellent soundcard where everything from the synth goes thru usb so no extra audio cables needed if you use the built in soundcard.

i doubt its in the budget he has, looking at the list he put up.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”