Omnisphere Question: How to stretch 'Soundsources' into infinity? (BONUS: Moral/Legal dillemma!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been digging into Omnisphere and the tutorials for much of the day. I'm trying to stretch a vocal soundsource that is long, but ends abrubtly. I don't want it to end. I want it to loop at some point, or to *somehow* keep it going for as long as I hold a note. Does anybody know the best way to do do this? Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by mostlyjustj on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know if it's the best way but in the multi part section (multi button underneath the soundsource section) the drop down menu has 'granular' item -

/Documentation/Reference Guide/edit_page/oscillator/page27.html

OMG - click the zoom icon next to it for more controls on granular!

Omni does not have a "loop until release function," but depending on the soundsource there could be a workaround. What specific vocal soundsource is it? Is it one of the tuvan phrases?

gremlinmoon wrote:Omni does not have a "loop until release function," but depending on the soundsource there could be a workaround. What specific vocal soundsource is it? Is it one of the tuvan phrases?
Yes I think it is one of the tuvan phrases (I'm not in front of my computer right now). Its a long throat singing phrase so it has a lot of short/distinct pitch drops and rises throughout the sample which doesn't work so well with the granular engine which tends to wash and blend or create too much chaos. Any workaround ideas would be appreciated! Looking for an elegant solution, but at this point ill be happy with something that just *works* :)

Assuming you want a "repeating mantra phrase" I think I know the one; try using a very slow arp( i.e. 1/2 or 1/1) with a single "block" (ctrl shift mouse drag) of 12-14 steps filled in that can be "latched." If the block is long enough and the speed slow enough it will allow the phrase to play out. Then leave 1-4 steps empty for the release portion. Then the phrase will repeat as long as the note is held or latch is kept on as the arp goes through another cycle.

It may take a bit of adjusting the length of the block and the speed of the arp depending on the pitch/note used,if things are synced to your DAW's bpm, if any effects are lengthening the release tail, etc...

Using the sample start parameter and shorter arp blocks you can isolate parts of the phrase.

gremlinmoon wrote:Assuming you want a "repeating mantra phrase" I think I know the one; try using a very slow arp( i.e. 1/2 or 1/1) with a single "block" (ctrl shift mouse drag) of 12-14 steps filled in that can be "latched." If the block is long enough and the speed slow enough it will allow the phrase to play out. Then leave 1-4 steps empty for the release portion. Then the phrase will repeat as long as the note is held or latch is kept on as the arp goes through another cycle.

It may take a bit of adjusting the length of the block and the speed of the arp depending on the pitch/note used,if things are synced to your DAW's bpm, if any effects are lengthening the release tail, etc...

Using the sample start parameter and shorter arp blocks you can isolate parts of the phrase.
Yes, this sounds like it could get me close to what I'm looking for... I won't get to play around with it again until monday morning but I'm looking forward to trying this out and playing with it. Will probably be a good technique to utilize for extending a number of the soundsources... it really seems odd they haven't included a simple way to utilize any sample as a looping pad as most samplers do. But I still really appreciate your help!

OK, after messing around with the arpeggiator and loop start time, I ended up being able to get a continuous pad, but I also had to lose the whole opening 'attack' sound entirely in order to make it somewhat smooth upon retriggering.

MORAL / LEGAL DILEMMA:

HOWEVER: And I realize this might be a bit of a moral dilemma with Omnisphere's somewhat restrictive license agreement, but it works totally *ace* - I was able to render the thing, dunk it into Kontakt, and set loop points.... the whole process took me about 1/3 of the time I spent fiddling with Omnisphere and the results are EXACTLY what I was looking for. Is doing it this way *wrong* if I keep the Kontakt patch to myself and only use it in an original musical composition??
Last edited by mostlyjustj on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

I doubt it violates the EULA. It would be if you tried to sell it.

If you own the software, then do whatever the hell you want with it.
Just don't sell or distribute the samples and you're fine.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:If you own the software, then do whatever the hell you want with it.
Just don't sell or distribute the samples and you're fine.
I'm very much of the same opinion. Too bad omnisphere doesn't have a regular set of sample playback tools given how much of its value comes from the samples... :shrug:

A potential workaround for the attack section is to go to the velocity section in the upper right hand (iirc) corner of the edit page (there will be little boxes convex, concave, and line symbols) and click on the zoom +. Before clicking on the zoom page change the default concave velocity ramp to the convex one by clicking on the mini-box "(". The zoom page will open up a customized velocity editor. Tweak the velocity level and shape using the gui editor and on the arp tab page also set the arp velocity to 100% arp ( away from "key"). The second part is to go to the envelope zoom and click on the Amp tab. Use this to shape the attack instead of the ADSR sliders. I believe you can start at full volume by adjusting the starting mseg node up the vertical axis instead of from zero which is what happens if you use the volume ADSR sliders.

Obviously using a dedicated audio editor or sampler is more precise but it is also nice/convenient to be able to keep things in Omni stored as a patch.
Last edited by gremlinmoon on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Double

jlanthier wrote: Is doing it this way *wrong* if I keep the Kontakt patch to myself and only use it in an original musical composition??
I seriously wouldn't give it a second thought. As long as you aren't re-selling it as a Kontakt library.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

jlanthier wrote:MORAL / LEGAL DILEMMA:

HOWEVER: And I realize this might be a bit of a moral dilemma with Omnisphere's somewhat restrictive license agreement, but it works totally *ace* - I was able to render the thing, dunk it into Kontakt, and set loop points.... the whole process took me about 1/3 of the time I spent fiddling with Omnisphere and the results are EXACTLY what I was looking for. Is doing it this way *wrong* if I keep the Kontakt patch to myself and only use it in an original musical composition??
Of course not.

Return to “Instruments”