Maschine questions

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you tell me your workflow and what you like and don't like about Maschine? and how it compares to Push? and how you use it in your daw? and so on?
Last edited by memyselfandus on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lolz.hahahaaa

I had thought about Ableton9suite/Push or Maschine ... months and months ago . Ended up with Renoise3 and a used launchpad and live9 lite/launchpad version it was some fun and not so much fun for a couple of weekends but in the end I still go back to using Tracktion more than the rest of this stuff , bread and butter is faster n easier to prepare than a steak dinner , sometimes . g.a.s. least I've kept under the $99 dollar threshold . man....I hate buying stuff and watch it collect dust , same with software looking all lonely on the taskbar , no clicky ... In have the old TriggerFinger , that new TriggerFingerPro is like $199 , If my old one would just break .lolz

If you use other daws and not only Live maschine is the way to go.
dedication to flying

Dont rush in. Best to first ponder on being on the verge of thinking about looking into Maschine. But first consider if you want to ponder on being on the verge of thinking about looking into Maschine.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I take it you don't have enough to buy it so thats why youre asking about it

There are some limitations, but they seldom effect me. I so like real world knobs and such. Machine was and is for me a game changer, as clicking with a mouse just never felt creative. I always used (and still do) a midi keyboard, but with addition of Maschine I seldom have to touch the mouse, or even look at the monitor for that matter. I started with the original Maschine (still have and use it as it's great for portable use) and have had the Maschine Studio for a bit over a year.

Like all things it's a matter of taste, but I love it and cannot go back.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

Agreed with Dewaine, though I have the MK2 rather than the Studio, and I do still prefer step sequencing via the mouse. I record more stuff "live" on the pads or MIDI keyboard than I ever used to though.

I found it immediately inspiring and haven't wanted to use anything else as a host (though there's still the option of using Maschine inside another DAW).

Maschine Studio here - dont use it as often as I'd like, but whenever I do something good comes out of it. Highly recommend as a standalone DAW and not so great to integrate into existing DAW.

Maschine is a fantastic tool and quite a sound beast! On its own the workflow can be really fast. It is as simple as choosing a sound or kit and letting the sequencer roll. If you have any experience with MPC then you almost feel instantly at home. Even if you don't, getting used to getting around doesn't take long. If you just stuck with the sounds it comes with, you would have endless choices. Finding and getting a groove is easy.

Doing a completed song with it alone is somewhat of a burden, however. I would love to see them handle "scenes" better and it would be awesome to actually have a "song" mode. Still copy/pasting and editing a pattern is really easy and after a time you learn how to come close to finishing (or actually finishing) an entire song. I find that part of it a bit clunky though.

Working within a DAW is both good and bad. Getting it broken down to several different tracks can feel VERY convoluted and especially if you are working with multiple groups. They really need to create a one button operation to make this easy. I can actually see that being done...it is basically making a macro in the VST frontend to set it up. Meanwhile, I have created a template for Cubase Pro 8 so I don't have to jump through hoops every time. But even with that, within Maschine you have to tweak it to get it right. And should you decide to change a kit within a group, it is like starting all over.

Despite the need to tighten DAW integration and having a distinctive song mode, I would not trade my Maschine for anything. It works for me and my flow. If I am doing something groove oriented, I inevitably start within Maschine and then transfer that project over to Cubase. I have never been disappointed with the results, even if it took some doing on my part. It is inspiring and have never felt like the convoluted way of integrating it into my DAW killed my "moment", because once it was in and it worked...well it just worked!

Jon

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”