2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Sampleconstruct wrote:If you work with KS 5 hours straight from 2 am - 7 am and have 2100 ideas per second about what to do next, that's:
5 hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds x 2100 ideas = 37.800.000 brain synapses per identity pixel! Crazy...

heheheh. you got me there. :oops:

except don't use periods where the rest of the civilzed world knows you should use commas. (damn Europeans... :x )

:D :D

deastman wrote: I admit that I haven't read the manual yet :oops: but I didn't realize you supported 16 bit color channels! I'll have to see if it makes a difference in practice.

If you have the ability to make them in 16bit color, I recommend it...

Krakatau wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Another Kaleidoscope etude:

Six instances of Kaleidoscope running in parallelel using similar custom presets/images only using the internal noise generator to excite the resonators - all six KS sent to a Bus with a medium VintageVerb - some post-processing applied to a narrow high band (B2) and a narrow low-mid frequency band (Replika) in RX4 Advanced.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/s ... cope-etude
Damn, what kind of platform do you need to run 6 instances of KS without any freezing operation ?

:o
Well I rendered this track offline but I could audition all six instances in real time, until I added one reverb plugin (VVV) and one slow tremolator plugin (LogicX) on one of the KS instances, then my Macbook Pro (2013 non-retina) started stalling, then I assigned all six track faders to a VCA and automated that VCA, from there on playback wasn't possible.
Still waiting for my new ashtray Mac Pro 12 core, 50 gazillion Ghz, 2 million GB of Über-RAM and two new screens, one of them retina which should be fun to use with KS and a nuisance with all the plugins which haven't been optimized yet for 4 k screens.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
Damn, what kind of platform do you need to run 6 instances of KS without any freezing operation ?

Well I rendered this track offline but I could audition all six instances in real time, until I added one reverb plugin (VVV) and one slow tremolator plugin (LogicX) on one of the KS instances, then my Macbook Pro (2013 non-retina) started stalling, then I assigned all six track faders to a VCA and automated that VCA, from there on playback wasn't possible.
Well. i easily assume you should keep an eye to the setups to get an appropriate optimisation with such a platform !

i'm impressed again...

actually you know what is very odd?

a one channel, one bit, 16*16 pixel image can be can roughly the same number of possibilities as the number of estimated atoms in the observable universe!

2^(256) ~= 10^77

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddington_number

really rather strange when you think about it...

Krakatau wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Krakatau wrote:

Well. i easily assume you should keep an eye to the setups to get an appropriate optimisation with such a platform !

i'm impressed again...
But I have to say that 5 of those KS instances were only using the Input-module in single-sine mode, one was using both modules in dual string mode - still I was impressed myself because until now I never even dared to use more than 2 instances of KS in a project.

Sampleconstruct wrote: But I have to say that 5 of those KS instances were only using the Input-module in single-sine mode, one was using both modules in dual string mode - still I was impressed myself because until now I never even dared to use more than 2 instances of KS in a project.

things should generally be quite good at this point. we might be able to squeeze a little more even... several instances should be possible now even on laptops... bouncing is the best idea though...

OK, here's another submission for the "contest" :D Im I aloud to submit twice? haha.

This uses the second image from the previous post... same as the one that used in the Puma Lovers sound example... the image creates the sound that starts at the very start of track (and is in most of the song.)

several other KS instances supply all the strange stuff. Diva supplies the normal instruments. + piano + drums. + B2.

https://soundcloud.com/2caudio/andreas- ... scope-funk

Krakatau wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Another Kaleidoscope etude:

Six instances of Kaleidoscope running in parallelel using similar custom presets/images only using the internal noise generator to excite the resonators - all six KS sent to a Bus with a medium VintageVerb - some post-processing applied to a narrow high band (B2) and a narrow low-mid frequency band (Replika) in RX4 Advanced.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/s ... cope-etude

Mamma Mia! :o
Just surfing around for a pictures for Kaleidoscope...
:clap:

Krakatau wrote: I assume though it might be difficult to use them on a performing instrument or anoter judging by the fact that the rendering sound of a simple continuous white noise is so elaborate in itself...

But considering a well defined harmonic and/or rythmic canvas it obviouly can give some rooms to the performer while playing...and this looks fantastic ;IMO

This brings up an interesting point. As mentioned KS is both and FX processor and a content generator (and all the murky grey areas in-between...)

Part of secret with KS, and everything else in life, is finding balance. In KS this means balancing complexity. KS makes is VERY simple to create insanely complex things. In other methods we might associate complexity with "more work". This is not really the case with KS (at least if you are using pre-made images from the library). So some of these images i just posted would represent 4-8-or even 16 measure patterns with 16th note resolution. And the frequency space is segmented in sometimes 64 or more different discreet "blocks" which can be thought of loosely as notes. In other words, these images already represent VERY complex performance data. It is almost like full orchestral score where you might have 16 or 32 notes playing at the same time...

thus these kind of COMPLEX images usually work best with SIMPLE input signals. The most simple possible choice is using WHITE at 200%, and then there is no input signal. Then you are using pure synthesis and picture literally is the performance/score...

The opposite end of the spectrum is feeding KS a very complex musical signal. In this case, the image itself does not need to be nearly as complex. More simple things usually work better in this case as our teeny-weeny little human brains can't handle insane complexity... Using one image mod source is usually enough when applying to a complex signal. Or even just a static mod source to impart some tonality on a drum loop or whatever...

So a simple rule is:

Simple inputs like complex images/performances. Complex inputs like simple images...

BALANCE!

...of course rules are meant be broken... but this is a good general guideline...

Here is some electronic folk music, a Serum sequencer sent through KS, in the Input module there is automation applied to the "Mod" parameter in Bell mode shifting between several aspects of an image made with ArtMatic and PS, in the Output module a more cosmic image - also made with AM - adds some nice perforated melodies.

Contest question: The 35th pixel (from the left) in the 234th row in the image in the Input section is named Sylvia, she has a crush on the 987th pixel (from the right) in the 8th row in the image in the Output section, his name is Fred, now how does Silvya manage to date Fred without leaving the house? The winner gets an annual subscription to some japanese tea from Yokohama from my local tea dealer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2hFcvcWGJ4

I've never heard it called tea before.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Ya know, that was my favorite one yet. That's just inspiring. The automation was the icing. Lots of cool sounds happening in that one.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Exploring noise input only can get interesting using the free Melda MNoiseGenerator to introduce subtle variations and modulations...

rustman wrote:Ya know, that was my favorite one yet. That's just inspiring. The automation was the icing. Lots of cool sounds happening in that one.
Thank's - It's incredible how much information is embedded within one image using the different Mod-modes and Mod-values, so rather than tweaking the knob manually as I usually do in the vids, this time it had to be automated in sync, and the resulting artifacts aren't that bad either and can easily be removed with a de-clicker.

Return to “Effects”