Will Alchemy stop working for current users?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote:I have hundreds of tracks that used EMU Proteus, Alesis S4/QSR and Peavey DPM I haven't yet converted. These things happen. I see Alchemy as being able to go much further and longer than those did
Really? My QSR and Emu Proteus 2000 still work just fine today as they did when they were released in 1997 and 1999 (I have the Protozoa ROM, so can I say it's from 1989? :) ) 18 years for a piece of software to remain compatible through upgrades will be an impressive feat indeed! Unless you want to do a time machine freeze and never update your OS/Host/Software, then it should still work. :)

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

DevonB wrote:
BBFG# wrote:I have hundreds of tracks that used EMU Proteus, Alesis S4/QSR and Peavey DPM I haven't yet converted. These things happen. I see Alchemy as being able to go much further and longer than those did
Really? My QSR and Emu Proteus 2000 still work just fine today as they did when they were released in 1997 and 1999 (I have the Protozoa ROM, so can I say it's from 1989? :) ) 18 years for a piece of software to remain compatible through upgrades will be an impressive feat indeed! Unless you want to do a time machine freeze and never update your OS/Host/Software, then it should still work. :)

Devon
Mine started with a Proteus FX; Alesis S4; and DPM V3. Those were stolen.
Then came an Ultra Proteus and S4+ and later added the QSR and Proteus 2000.
Then I was finally able to find 2 DPM V2's and eventually, another DPM V3.
The DPMs started having age problems in memory and MIDI transmissions.
The others all needed to be re-mapped from the first ones.

It just got to the point where it seemed ridiculous to do that when modules where doing more in less space. So I sold the entire rack and with that money had enough to buy my Korg Kronos and Yamaha Motif XS-r. Age and maintenance have their considerations too, and getting repair when needed has become too costly in our area. (the last HW I had repaired needed to be shipped cross-country).

As much as I loved those pieces, I don't miss them or the things they lacked in keeping up to the newer specs.

Lol...they already DID STOP!
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

My $4,000 Oberheim FVS-1 stopped working pretty much within a year. I was dragging it into the shop regularly (costing hundreds more each time) and the four modules never were consistent, which mostly was not a positive. After tuning it for about an hour, I could use it but one of the four voices always sounded different in such a way that I had to always creatively work it into the patch...

Alchemy cost me much less, has never had to be dragged to a shop, and has already given me what I paid for it in use. However, I own a lot of libraries for it which cost me much more. Please Simon or someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the Alchemy libraries wav files that can be instantly loaded up by any sfz player / editor? In other words, the libraries will live on and on and on...
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Gonga wrote:Please Simon or someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the Alchemy libraries wav files that can be instantly loaded up by any sfz player / editor? In other words, the libraries will live on and on and on...
Sure, the wav samples and sfz-files can be recycled and loaded into things like MachFive or Kontakt, this is useful for multisampled instruments with round robin and several velocity layers which contain hundreds of samples, which don't need to be re-mapped when using the sfzs. Unfortunately the resynthesized files in Alchemy (.aaz) can't be recycled or converted to any other format, which is a big pity. The big magic in Alchemy was the combination of all those different synthesis forms, and the morphing between the snaps which could result in an endless array of new sounds all within a single patch.

"Stop working"? It will explode in your face, beat up your wife, rape your dog and piss in your coffee. After all, it is a daily subscription based synth isn't it? Whether it works will be the least of your problems.

I'm on Windows 7 , so I'm not worked up , I got my stuff backed up to a USB drive as well as being backed up on my W7 HDD and also to a Macbook too , both MAC/Windows installers libraries etc. I know Windows10 is coming , but I'm pretty sure the installer will work with it . Microsoft is pretty good about maintaining backwards compatibility , same with Linux . Now on the Mac side of things who knows ? i7 Macs are too pricey so I stick with Windows for DAW duties anyhow . Also what product will be the Bastard child of Redmatic and Camel over at Apple and when will we see this product ? Its seems its been awhile since the redmatic buyout , so who knows the time table on these products maybe Alchemy2 will be a Logic AU and instrument but named something different ? Who knows ? If they made an i7 configurable Macmini , I wouldn't mind a Mac , I know its a pain to open the Minis up to install an SSD and Ram such a shame really .
Last edited by fedexnman on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IncarnateX wrote:"Stop working"? It will explode in your face, beat up your wife, rape your dog and piss in your coffee. After all, it is a daily subscription based synth isn't it? Whether it works will be the least of your problems.
Well that's it.
The day I find my USB drive taking aim at my coffee I'm moving to hardware. I knew this software malarky was a slippery slope.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Sampleconstruct wrote:
quantum7 wrote:
Of course, if anyone can make a Jews Harp sound unique, it is Simon. :)
Tbh, I never got anything useful out of a Jew's harp other than hurting my tongue and lips.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. :hihi: I make the involuntary "pain face" when I even think about it. I only tried it once, and nearly chipped a tooth, as well as hurting my lips. Never made a sound.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
quantum7 wrote:
Of course, if anyone can make a Jews Harp sound unique, it is Simon. :)
Tbh, I never got anything useful out of a Jew's harp other than hurting my tongue and lips.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. :hihi: I make the involuntary "pain face" when I even think about it. I only tried it once, and nearly chipped a tooth, as well as hurting my lips. Never made a sound.
LOL, welcome to the club :party:

I loaded an instance of Alchemy into Tracktion last night and saw a number on the GUI.. this morning that number was one smaller.. is it a countdown of days until Alchemy self-destructs?

:cry: :help: :help: :cry:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

SyntheticAurality wrote:I loaded an instance of Alchemy into Tracktion last night and saw a number on the GUI.. this morning that number was one smaller.. is it a countdown of days until Alchemy self-destructs?

Its a countdown for Alchemy 2 for Apple/Logic. :hihi:

fedexnman wrote:
SyntheticAurality wrote:I loaded an instance of Alchemy into Tracktion last night and saw a number on the GUI.. this morning that number was one smaller.. is it a countdown of days until Alchemy self-destructs?

I'm of the opinion that no one is going to see Alchemy 2. Logic may see a few new synths in the next version or two, and you can *guess* that they were created by the Camel Audio folks, but I'm betting that they won't have the same complexity/feature set of Alchemy.

And that's a *best case* scenario.

The likeliest scenario is that they're going to be working on mobile iStuff.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

fedexnman wrote:

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Dominus wrote:
I'm of the opinion that no one is going to see Alchemy 2. Logic may see a few new synths in the next version or two, and you can *guess* that they were created by the Camel Audio folks, but I'm betting that they won't have the same complexity/feature set of Alchemy.

And that's a *best case* scenario.

The likeliest scenario is that they're going to be working on mobile iStuff.
+1

Return to “Instruments”