New Electribes

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

duncanm wrote:So how does the electribe export work? is it korg gadget style when it just exports the audio or does it acutally export the midi as well?
"The electribe sampler can internally save and export patterns in Ableton Live format. Individual patterns and parts are saved as scenes and clips in an Ableton Live Set."

Audio

Just bought the synth version and I'm quite disappointed. The synth engine on this seems to be pretty limited. Essentially it's a preset tweaking machine and options for sound creation are not very deep at all.

dcfac73 wrote:Just bought the synth version and I'm quite disappointed. The synth engine on this seems to be pretty limited. Essentially it's a preset tweaking machine and options for sound creation are not very deep at all.
That is a shame :/
I had a feeling about this and that it has only predefined waveforms on 1 knob.
Is that the case? Or how deep is the synth engine?

Guess i will wait until march instead and get a Roland JD-XI instead.

D-Fusion wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:Just bought the synth version and I'm quite disappointed. The synth engine on this seems to be pretty limited. Essentially it's a preset tweaking machine and options for sound creation are not very deep at all.
That is a shame :/
I had a feeling about this and that it has only predefined waveforms on 1 knob.
Is that the case? Or how deep is the synth engine?

Guess i will wait until march instead and get a Roland JD-XI instead.
Well I've only had a few hours to muck around with it, but for eg. the oscillator condigurations are on 1 knob and are predefined (eg you can't mix different waveforms). Modulation combinations are preset and not flexible. Also there doesn't seem to be a reverb. I have to admit I am a bit of a synthesis novice, so I'll be happy for someone to correct me, but , as it stands, I was expecting a lot more.
I hope the JD-XI will be better in this respect as well.

well... it's the MX (Music Production) version...seems to be the 'jack of all trades' version in other words. The next one is the Electribe Sampler (which will come with a dedicated synth section, suitable for pads and basses/leads apparently). The first electribes had 4 flavours, synth (ea1) - sampler (es1)- drum machine (er1)- and the music production model like yours (em1) ...which is now superceded by the emx and so on

i think after that first original line up they just concentrated on the jack of all trades MX model, and the Sampler model with synth engine.

It's probably my fault as I should have looked at reviews and researched a bit more before parting with my money, but they made such a big selling point of saying that it had the same synth engine as the Kingkorg. I was expecting a lot more. The presets that come with it sound pretty generic ,and not to my taste.

dcfac73 wrote:It's probably my fault as I should have looked at reviews and researched a bit more before parting with my money, but they made such a big selling point of saying that it had the same synth engine as the Kingkorg. I was expecting a lot more. The presets that come with it sound pretty generic ,and not to my taste.
no...the same filters as the kingkorg, if I'm not mistaken.

Daags wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:It's probably my fault as I should have looked at reviews and researched a bit more before parting with my money, but they made such a big selling point of saying that it had the same synth engine as the Kingkorg. I was expecting a lot more. The presets that come with it sound pretty generic ,and not to my taste.
I just took a look at their site and i think you're right. Silly me. I believe I was misled by many of the Youtube promotional videos put out by Korg saying that it had the same synth engine as the Kingkorg.

dcfac73 wrote:
Daags wrote:
I just took a look at their site and i think you're right. Silly me. I believe I was misled by many of the Youtube promotional videos put out by Korg saying that it had the same synth engine as the Kingkorg.
I wouldn't blame yourself too much, I also expected it to have more in-depth synthesis. Shame. It also just plain doesn't sound good in any demo I've been able to find.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

dcfac73 wrote:I believe I was misled by many of the Youtube promotional videos put out by Korg saying that it had the same synth engine as the Kingkorg.

haven't seen the videos but maybe they meant waveforms ?

Daags wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:I believe I was misled by many of the Youtube promotional videos put out by Korg saying that it had the same synth engine as the Kingkorg.

haven't seen the videos but maybe they meant waveforms ?
They weren't specific about it. They definately said same synth engine.

As I said before, I am a bit of a synthesis novice and haven't had a chance to fully learn the device. I hope it's a case of speaking too soon, and I hope someone who owns it, and knows how to use it, can enlighten me.

Aiynzahev wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:
Daags wrote:
I wouldn't blame yourself too much, I also expected it to have more in-depth synthesis. Shame. It also just plain doesn't sound good in any demo I've been able to find.
I think so too....and I still bought it. :x :o

dcfac73 wrote:They definately said same synth engine.
It's the same synth engine, it's just that deeper editing isn't available.

Uncle E wrote: It's the same synth engine, it's just that deeper editing isn't available.
hmmm...at that rate it's kind of stretching things imo. if you can't edit it just the same (even with midi cc) then it's maybe more accurate to say it has elements of the same engine or something. i mean, when it comes to synthesis, editing and architecture is key...so... misleading imo.

Daags wrote:hmmm...at that rate it's kind of stretching things imo. if you can't edit it just the same (even with midi cc) then it's maybe more accurate to say it has elements of the same engine or something. i mean, when it comes to synthesis, editing and architecture is key...so... misleading imo.
I hear you and I agree that the editing makes a big difference. However, technically speaking, it's the same algorithms and engine.

Anyway, try using the motion sequencer, it's really powerful and goes pretty far for making up for the lack of editing. I used to perform live with the very first Electribes and was always able to get cool things out of them despite their being much, much less editable than the Electribe 2. The motion sequencer was the key.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”