AIEP (Air Instruments Expansion Pack) Not Showing Up in Studio One Instruments Browser

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I installed the AIEP from Air Tech, but none are showing in Studio One's Browser, even after rescanning vstplugins multiple times and rebooting.

Reaper has no problem seeing and loading them.

Any thoughts on why Studio One doesn't seem to be able to see them?
Vstplugins path definitions have not changed.

Works for me, not that that's much help. They're under AirMusicTech when shown by vendor.

You have the correct versions for your DAW (32/64 bit VST) installed in the right locations?

Other than that, try hitting up Simon (sbangs@airmusictech.com), he might have some other ideas, or he can point you to their support.

Thanks, I got XPand to show up by adding a path to the airmusictech subfolder, but the others didn't show;
so I made paths to each and every subfolder containing the other dlls and rescanned with no hits;
will keep trying; thanks for reply

Edit: I copied all the other dlls over to the XPand!2 folder and S1 found them all there; weird, but it worked and they all load now.

One other unlikely idea: Studio One blacklists plugins that fail at startup. When Studio One isn't running, you can open the file containing that info with a text editor and modify it. You want to set the smiley attribute to sad for the plugs you want to blacklist, or happy for the ones to whitelist. In you case though, the question is whether those are listed at all, and if they somehow got blacklisted.

File is called Vstplugins.settings, and it's here (Windows):
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 2\x64\

<!-- to blacklist a VST -->
smiley=":("
<!-- to whitelist VST -->
smiley=";)"

Forum post with info is here (they keep doing something that breaks saved forum bookmarks, but that one works right now):
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... 306#p20306

Thanks a lot, I'll try that and post back results (if I don't forget).

I did do the blacklist thing in Options via the gui, but I didn't know about the code fix.

Edit: I whitelisted everything and now they show up properly in subfolders under main airtech folder.
I don't know if they were blacklisted to begin with, but they may have been.

thanks

Sure, glad it worked out. I think SO blacklists things that crash during startup, but I don't know why that'd apply here, or have any other idea why they'd get blacklisted if you didn't do it.

Thanks, I checked one of the settings files again and it may have change some from smileys back to frowns. I may need to keep an eye on it. Looks like there may be more than one file to check.

As I recall, while there are other somewhat similar files I looked at, the one I pointed you to is the only one that's actually relevant, at least in the sense that you can modify it and SO's behavior changes. Test it yourself, but that's what I remember finding after poking around some myself. Of course the folks in that forum thread where this info came from are reverse engineering things, with no actual knowledge of SO's internals.

When you first did this and the instruments showed up, did they work correctly, no crashes? I'm not aware of any other reason things would get blacklisted.

Yes, they came up and did not crash.
Structure can't create the database file air.db when I click Database on Structure gui.
I didn't fine air.db on my system and it wasn't created, so I don't know what's going on there.
Also on Structure and possible Transfuser? where you can expand the plug to show more interface elements, the plugs' size gets screwed up. You need to close the interface and reopen it to get it to proper proportion. Also, I think Transfuser came up with overlapping instances of the interface (only a portion of the plug overlapped by a duplicate portion of the plug). I think this was remedied by closing and reopening the wrapper for it.
I think the file I modified is called vstplugins.settings or something like that. I didn't modify the one that had blacklist.settings (or similar) in the name because it had almost no code in it...no plugs, no smilies, no frowns...as I recall.

LawrenceF wrote:Image
Been there, done that.

Was only pointing out there's no need to manually edit those files. That button should recreate those files on next launch. Also, if you want to see what things may have failed to load on launch after launch of after the plugin scan on next launch... use the Menu ... View | Additional Views | Messages ... which will show the same list that scrolls by on load.

Hope some of that helps and I hope you get it sorted.

LawrenceF wrote:Was only pointing out there's no need to manually edit those files. That button should recreate those files on next launch. Also, if you want to see what things may have failed to load on launch after launch of after the plugin scan on next launch... use the Menu ... View | Additional Views | Messages ... which will show the same list that scrolls by on load.
Didn't know about the Messages tool, thanks for that Lawrence.

The main reason I mentioned the xml file in this context was to see if those instruments had been seen by SO at all, and also to see if they'd been skipped. (The original thread was about skipping things you didn't want to see but also didn't want to install, and manual editing can be useful for that.)

If I'm not mistaken, once something gets blacklisted, it doesn't get scanned again unless you reset the blacklist (or manually re-smile things), not sure how that affects the Messages tool.

Yes, that sounds right to me. After they get blacklisted they probably won't show up in that list anymore until you reset the blacklist and then look at the list after the next launch and full scan.

I think that list may only populate on launch... but I'm not 100% certain about that. I've never actually looked at it after doing a plugin rescan from the browser.

Anyway, cross your fingers with the rest of us that the next version will have a plugin manager where you can just look and see what's been detected and/or check what to show in the app or not.

LawrenceF wrote:Anyway, cross your fingers with the rest of us that the next version will have a plugin manager where you can just look and see what's been detected and/or check what to show in the app or not.
Yessir, crossed and at the ready :).

What I want in plugin management though is a reasonable way to categorize them (EQ, Dynamics, FSU, whatever). The save-a-preset-in-a-directory mechanism is the current state of the art AFAIK, and boy is it clunky and time consuming, even for a medium sized plugin collection. There's also no 'uncategorized' section where new stuff you haven't dealt with yet lands, it just doesn't show in that part of the program until you put it there. You can save multiple presets for the same plugin, which is cool I guess, but not really needed, since plugins have their own preset management.

I'm sure Presonus is aware of the interest in this area, but I haven't heard even vague rumors about what's in the next release, or when it might be.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”