2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

I'm working my way through the excellent manual, and reading this thread consistently. I feel like I'm on top of learning this magnificent beast (very slowly!), but there's one thing that escapes me: using white noise @ 200% as an input source rather than conventional audio. I use Logic Pro X 10.1, and I am getting nothing. Andrew mentioned that there might be a problem with Logic in this regard, and it seems like I might be one of the victims. Of course, I am a "perpetual newbie" so the solution might be staring me in the face... Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

later,
John

jtenney wrote:I'm working my way through the excellent manual, and reading this thread consistently. I feel like I'm on top of learning this magnificent beast (very slowly!), but there's one thing that escapes me: using white noise @ 200% as an input source rather than conventional audio. I use Logic Pro X 10.1, and I am getting nothing. Andrew mentioned that there might be a problem with Logic in this regard, and it seems like I might be one of the victims. Of course, I am a "perpetual newbie" so the solution might be staring me in the face... Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

later,
John
Press play :tu:

White noise only gets generated when Kaleidoscope detects that your DAW is playing / recording.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Ummm, yeah, I did press it before... I gather that pb or rec is necessary. Still nothing... Everything works fine with taking audio off an actual track. ?????????

jtenney wrote:Ummm, yeah, I did press it before... I gather that pb or rec is necessary. Still nothing... Everything works fine with taking audio off an actual track. ?????????
What are your settings for input and output modulation? Try setting input to dynamic, output modulation to disabled.

Set the mode to FIR, you should definitely hear noise at most settings. If that fails try lowering the tuning, oftentimes I find Kaleidoscope gets up to a tuning level that shows as Note5, when I reduce it I see that it is literally at Note10 which is totally inaudible.

Post a screenshot of your Kaleidoscope window also.

OK, I did the input/output settings you suggested and got sound. It is pinning the CPU meter though, even when not running, which I had not gotten with an audio track, plus I am getting a sample rate conflict warning which I didn't get when I was processing audio track. I assume that what you mean by "setting the mode to FIR" is the same as putting the feedback to 0%? Also, for "lowering the tuning" do you mean taking the note value down to C, say, or octaves as well? I think I may be getting off on a foot I don't need with the white noise, because I am kind of a mangler by nature... But I would like to understand and try out everything KS has to offer, at least... Thanks for your help so far!

jtenney wrote:OK, I did the input/output settings you suggested and got sound. It is pinning the CPU meter though, even when not running, which I had not gotten with an audio track, plus I am getting a sample rate conflict warning which I didn't get when I was processing audio track. I assume that what you mean by "setting the mode to FIR" is the same as putting the feedback to 0%? Also, for "lowering the tuning" do you mean taking the note value down to C, say, or octaves as well? I think I may be getting off on a foot I don't need with the white noise, because I am kind of a mangler by nature... But I would like to understand and try out everything KS has to offer, at least... Thanks for your help so far!
In the upper right corner are the boxes where you see the settings for one string, spring, etc. clicking those will cycle through the types, one of which is FIR. Hope that is what you're asking.

Edit: ...part of what you're asking...
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

jtenney wrote:OK, I did the input/output settings you suggested and got sound. It is pinning the CPU meter though, even when not running, which I had not gotten with an audio track, plus I am getting a sample rate conflict warning which I didn't get when I was processing audio track. I assume that what you mean by "setting the mode to FIR" is the same as putting the feedback to 0%? Also, for "lowering the tuning" do you mean taking the note value down to C, say, or octaves as well? I think I may be getting off on a foot I don't need with the white noise, because I am kind of a mangler by nature... But I would like to understand and try out everything KS has to offer, at least... Thanks for your help so far!
For the tuning yes I mean octaves.

The "mode" I am talking about is the resonation mode, it will be either be FIR (A straight grey line), Spring (blue/green sine looking shape), Dual Spring, String(red volume looking shape), Dual String.

Thanks, Rustman, I wasn't aware of that settings box. I am getting "recognizable audio" but still getting the "error trying to synchronize audio and midi" message with a recognized sample rate that keeps changing, and is never even close to either 44.1 or 48. It's weird, because I run Logic at 48, and the message says "check for conflict with external device" which I don't have one of... I think I have seen that same error message in one or more of Simon's videos but haven't gone back to check. Well well, the plot thickens... I am still getting the huge CPU use, which stays high even when there is no playback/recording. Just to be clear, I am not getting that error message when using the audio track, and I get a high-but-manageable CPU use then. ?????

jtenney wrote:Thanks, Rustman, I wasn't aware of that settings box. I am getting "recognizable audio" but still getting the "error trying to synchronize audio and midi" message with a recognized sample rate that keeps changing, and is never even close to either 44.1 or 48. It's weird, because I run Logic at 48, and the message says "check for conflict with external device" which I don't have one of... I think I have seen that same error message in one or more of Simon's videos but haven't gone back to check. Well well, the plot thickens... I am still getting the huge CPU use, which stays high even when there is no playback/recording. Just to be clear, I am not getting that error message when using the audio track, and I get a high-but-manageable CPU use then. ?????
Switch off the error warnings in the prefs, that sample rate message only indicates a CPU overload in Logic, due to the stalling, the sample rate gets out of sync. Increase the buffer even more if you can or reduce the number of lines engaged.

Thanks, Simon. Is it different from the "audio engine overload message" that I can untick? Must be, because unticking it didn't eliminate the messages I'm getting...

Sorry. I did raise the buffer in Logic (always want to keep it as low as possible, but...) and it looks like the synch error messages have disappeared. So, then, the white noise generation, combined with the FIR setting, just masks the audio track, and muting the track will mute the signal? And so it is not necessarily a "purer" kind of sound generation, just one of the several choices among FIR, springs and strings? Or is there still something I'm missing?

jtenney wrote:Thanks, Simon. Is it different from the "audio engine overload message" that I can untick? Must be, because unticking it didn't eliminate the messages I'm getting...
Oh, maybe it's un-tickable, I never bothered in 30 years of Logic really as I know it's nothing serious, just the nagging CPU.

No, I was able to untick it, and the messages went away once I raised the buffer size; that seemed to be the key. Probably have to lower it again once I'm back in midi-land... But for now, it's great. Thanks!

Is there a way to reduce the number of active lines individually without selecting one of the four options (64, 128, 256, 512)? I'm sure I can run close to 200 lines on both stereo channels without any problems. I really need to just sit down and read the dang manual already.

Interface on 10.10.1, Logic Pro X 10.1, retina macbook pro...

It's unbearably slow, the interface just lags beyond being useful :(

I'm not getting this with any other 2Caudio plugin.

Return to “Effects”