One Synth Challenge #71: Hive by u-he (Jasinski wins! 2+ hours of epic music)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/chilled-panda/ch ... missed-you
from earlier upload on SC

KVR One-Synth-Challenge #71 Hive(Beta) by U-he

Daw: Ableton Live 9 suite
Hive Instances x16 on 14 tracks

Daw FX
live instrument racks (easiest way for push) (x16)
live drum racks x7
Midi effect Pitch (remaps midinote useful on drumracks) x5
live audio effect racks x3
Utility banks x3 ( for gain tweaks)
Compressor brick wall to try and even out the clappy sounds.
1 pinpong delay and live eq8 on the clappy sound
1 Live reverb backbone on toms (chorus effect disabled )
1 pinpong delay on one of the toms
Glue compressor (bass expander) side chained from kick.
Glue Compressor (on master channel)
EQ8 (master channel)

freeware
dailtoprogramme (free live-max to map the mod wheel to a controller)
molot 3 x2
A1 Stereo control (master channel)

A nod to some of the preset designs I used and tweaked to my desires (didn't think I was gonna have time this month but thanks to the follow guys made it easier (bow)). Jasinski(toms+clap),Eternity Sound(kick) Bjulin (HHO, HHC), Photonic (rimshot), Frank Arron(Pad),BaconPriest(Pad/String)

Glad to see I wasn't the last entry :hihi: Looking forward to hearing all the tracks. A respectable 50+ entries :D Only wish I could've finished the track the way I intended. I definitely should work on the skill of finishing tracks in time or just faster in general. Prioritize arrangement while designing sounds and leads. Well, that's my note to self and late new years resolution. :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:Glad to see I wasn't the last entry :hihi: Looking forward to hearing all the tracks. A respectable 50+ entries :D Only wish I could've finished the track the way I intended. I definitely should work on the skill of finishing tracks in time or just faster in general. Prioritize arrangement while designing sounds and leads. Well, that's my note to self and late new years resolution. :tu:
As is always the case, but better to be finished, move on, best and quickest way to learn instead on endlessly procrastinating a single track :tu:

fantomatica wrote:HIVE this my realy love trance style and ARP secthion. Iam create presets Hive secthion Fx this real effects popular ) please me full.
What DAW?
What FX?
How many instances of Hive?
Include the link to your song too.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

Hey guys, voting will start sometime after noon US Eastern Time, :tu:

Awesome tracks :party: :party: :party:

67 entries according to the soundcloud group page! An epic month! Voting for this is gonna be tough!

Awesome work on these tracks, guys. Every one I've listened to is really special in some way; loving the diversity in this competition.

Great work! (And thanks u-he for another synth for us to push to it's limits!)

z.prime wrote:67 entries according to the soundcloud group page! An epic month! Voting for this is gonna be tough!
Really insane! Listening and voting could actually take more time than creating my track...

I have been listening to the tracks posted here in this thread since yesterday after submitting mine and I am really amazed with so much variety/genre and high production quality. All are excellent in their own way. Really tough competition since my last entry a year back. Best of luck to all.

Is it allowed to use FX plugins that was offered for free temporarily? For example, Eventide UltraChannel, NI Replika. These are not free now but they were in past. To be on safe side I didn't use any such plugin in this OSC but would like to know for future OSCs.
Also, did we ever decide anything on Computer Music mag plugins? I remember it was asked many times, been a long time so don't recall the answers.

Edit: Added above-questions.
Last edited by satYatunes on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

There's a lot of quality tracks out there. I'd be honored to come out on top. We shall see. ;)

Tjgoa wrote:Glad to see I wasn't the last entry :hihi: Looking forward to hearing all the tracks. A respectable 50+ entries :D Only wish I could've finished the track the way I intended. I definitely should work on the skill of finishing tracks in time or just faster in general. Prioritize arrangement while designing sounds and leads. Well, that's my note to self and late new years resolution. :tu:
I found this is something that comes with overall practice, especially once you find your 'sound.' For me, my workflow/speed determines how long my brain stay interested and invested in the project.

Tjgoa wrote:I definitely should work on the skill of finishing tracks in time or just faster in general. Prioritize arrangement while designing sounds and leads.
Yeah, this is tricky... I basically have had zero inspiration as of late. So designing sounds for me is a way to try to come up with something that might spark the rest of a track. This time I had like 75 tracks of sounds... and 10 minutes of music... and I hated it all. And I found something and ended up scrapping all the music, deleting 2/3 of the sounds, and designing new ones to fit everything better anyway... so I have to second that: prioritize composition & arrangement, use sound design to compliment THAT rather than the other way around. You can obsess over a patch for days, but you can get one close in a few minutes. Which one helps get a track done faster? :scared:

z.prime wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:I definitely should work on the skill of finishing tracks in time or just faster in general. Prioritize arrangement while designing sounds and leads.
Yeah, this is tricky... I basically have had zero inspiration as of late. So designing sounds for me is a way to try to come up with something that might spark the rest of a track. This time I had like 75 tracks of sounds... and 10 minutes of music... and I hated it all. And I found something and ended up scrapping all the music, deleting 2/3 of the sounds, and designing new ones to fit everything better anyway... so I have to second that: prioritize composition & arrangement, use sound design to compliment THAT rather than the other way around. You can obsess over a patch for days, but you can get one close in a few minutes. Which one helps get a track done faster? :scared:
For me it is more the other way round, I have one or two solid song ideas per week at the moment, but sound design is not the part i like to spent really much time on, with my OSC contributions i do it while arranging, maybe spent a couple more minutes on more prominent sounds, seldom getting to the point where I am really content with them but too impatient to keep on trying. But then I am more of a guitar-playing songwriter who occasionally dabbles in synths to have different sound colors supporting the song.
I am constantly amazed what some people here get out of the synths but am realistic enough to recognize that I will never reach such levels. I concentrate on chords and melodies, that is what i like.

EDIT: Actually I would be really interested in knowing how long you guys spent on your tracks for the competition. I finished mine in about four days (don't know exactly how many hours, maybe 20-24) which is twice the time I used for my OSC70 track and I am much happier with it sound-wise. Wonder if it would have been better if i had spent even more time on it? Or not? The old question...

fese wrote:I am constantly amazed what some people here get out of the synths but am realistic enough to recognize that I will never reach such levels... I would be really interested in knowing how long you guys spent on your tracks for the competition... Wonder if it would have been better if i had spent even more time on it? Or not? The old question...
Indeed, the old question. I probably spent in the ballpark of 60 hours. :oops: I had a fairly free first week of the month that I spent a lot of time on sound design and failed melodic elements, then a couple very busy ones in the middle I didn't get much done... The last week probably was about 20 hours or so, so probably about 20-30 hours was actually working on things in the track you hear, including the non-wasted initial sound design time, I suspect.

But, as with anything in life, you get back what you put in. Or you're just talented enough to skate right through. In terms of sound design, I started by tweaking presets and had no idea how to make sounds that I wanted to hear. After participating in the OSC for a couple years, it ends up being pretty easy to just build all the sounds from scratch... but now I just don't even know what I want to hear at all. Dammit. But you absolutely can get better at it. It just takes time, but if that's not what you're passionate about at all, then spend time on what you love, instead. But saying "I'm good at X but not Y" so I'll stick to X is counterintuitive. You have to put in the same amount of time learning Y to get as good at it as you are at X.

satYatunes wrote:I have been listening to the tracks posted here in this thread since yesterday after submitting mine and I am really amazed with so much variety/genre and high production quality. All are excellent in their own way. Really tough competition since my last entry a year back. Best of luck to all.

Is it allowed to use FX plugins that was offered for free temporarily? For example, Eventide UltraChannel, NI Replika. These are not free now but they were in past. To be on safe side I didn't use any such plugin in this OSC but would like to know for future OSCs.
Also, did we ever decide anything on Computer Music mag plugins? I remember it was asked many times, been a long time so don't recall the answers.

Edit: Added above-questions.
I didn't realize Replika wasn't still free which is why I used it. But, it still crashes Live on me, so I wish I wouldn't have used it because I really didn't want to change any settings knowing it would crash Live again. ;) So, my apologies. I can switch it if it needs to be switched - or just say I'm not eligible to win anything. I normally don't place too well in these anyway...;)

I estimate it takes me about 40 hours to do a track, but I'm not sure I made it that far this month. Like Z, I front-loaded my work then got really busy and came back to it in the last week or so. I definitely get a lot further in 36-40 hours now than I did when starting out with OSC a year and a half ago. Another thing that definitely gets quicker with experience is mixing. I don't claim I'm expert at it yet (as Z can attest), but I can get 50% of the way there now in 10% of the time and the amount of surprise I get when moving from my laptop to my stereo is diminished vs. even a few months ago.

I also plan to implement more of Irion's suggestions from earlier in this thread to become even more efficient. Need to figure out how to save channel templates in S1, for example, and build up a bigger personal fx preset library, to codify what I've learned re mixing and make dialing in bread and butter EQ etc even quicker. I'm also curious what tools ppl use to sketch musical idea on the go... so far, I've tried Figure on my iPod and installing the synth of the month on my win8 tablet.

Return to “Instruments”