Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

Dewdman42 wrote:how did you get omni1 for $200?
I owned Atmosphere, Trilogy & Stylus (free upgrade to RMX). I screamed like a baby when I couldn't get a discount for any of those 3. I thank God Spectrasonics forgave me, but at that time it was fairly unheard of to not get any kind of discount spending that much on software without a slightly easier way in.

But Spectrasonics had their business model and they've thankfully more than stuck with it and have given me so much.

You certainly have to "buy in" on any of their instruments, but their track record is utterly mind-blowing, and not comparable to any experience I've ever had with any company.

declan32001 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Heheh, 'justification'.
A Cognitive Dissonance in GAS begging for a rational dispute...
How can you even comment about an upgrade price you have no access to?
Obviously not commenting on the upgrade price at all, regardless of accessibility.

But trimph1 covered it better (and even more decisively).
And I have no intention or desire to talk to his wife about her clothing budget.
:party:

BBFG# wrote:
declan32001 wrote:
Obviously not commenting on the upgrade price at all, regardless of accessibility.

And I have no intention or desire to talk to his wife about her clothing budget.
:lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

BBFG# wrote:
declan32001 wrote:

Did you even realize what you were commenting on? I'm glad to be a part of anyone's amusement, and I do have a trimph6 in my garage, but it's really sad that you have lost all credibility. I hope you're enjoying it for whatever that's worth.

declan32001 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
declan32001 wrote:

Did you even realize what you were commenting on? I'm glad to be a part of anyone's amusement, and I do have a trimph6 in my garage, but it's really sad that you have lost all credibility. I hope you're enjoying it for whatever that's worth.
@declan32001...did you even read my original response to him?
I think he has every right to say his opinion. :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:
declan32001 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
declan32001 wrote:

@declan32001...did you even read my original response to him?
I think he has every right to say his opinion. :lol:
Yes I did read your post beforehand, sorry to even obscurely insinuating I was dragging you into this in any way.

:harp:

BBFG# wrote::harp:
People who need emoticons are the luckiest people in the world. I say a final goodnight.

declan32001 wrote:
BBFG# wrote: :harp:
People who need emoticons are the luckiest people in the world.
Need? No.
Use? When appropriate.

:zzz:

Well, I've had some time to calm down and give this some thought. I guess in a way I'm kind of lucky. Yes, I've only had Omni 1 since the end of August, but when I bought it from Sam Ash, because it was so much money, I traded in some of my old hardware to pay for it. I think I actually paid less than $100 in actual cash for it. So in retrospect, I'm still paying less than $400 for Omni 2 in total.

Looking at what I'll be getting, and also realizing that it's quite possible that as with Omni 1 there will be many updates to 2, I can't really pass this up. The audio import, extra waveforms and improved granular synthesis and ring modulation alone, not to mention the additional modulation routings (especially all FX) is just too tempting to pass up.

As I have said, Omni 1 is one of my 5 favorite synths. I won't say it's number 1 because I'm more into exotic and modular synths (Cycle, MUX, Reaktor, etc.) but as a pure sound generator both in quality and variety of sounds, Omni is hard to beat, and now it gets even better.

Yeah, it sucks to only have this thing for a few months and have to pay for an update, but as somebody said earlier, sometimes life just sucks and that's the way it is.

I do sympathize with those who are in my boat, just got the synth recently, but didn't make the cutoff point and have to pay for the upgrade and I can understand their anger.

Hopefully, I'll get a nice IRS refund and that'll pay for Omni 2.

It's not like I have anything else to do with that money.

One thing I appreciate about the upgrade price (what?!?!!)....

Many companies announce a release date of a month or less away and then go retro-active one month backwards for a grace period upgrade (ala Steinberg). Granted they are not usually $250 for the upgrade.

However, Spectrasonics went WAAAAY back (at least in the software world) to include those who did not have a notion that an update was eminent. And instead of doing it a week or two before the product would hit, they allowed us another four months. In essence we have an 8 month grace period for the upgrade. That is HUGE in this industry. And the upgrade is 50% off of the cost.

There are other nice breakdowns like VIP pricing etc.

What remains to be seen is just how valuable this ends up being in the long run.

If you happen to have just missed the deadline, just think of the time you have spent with the instrument that those who have not owned it did not. It is still cheaper than Adobe's CS subscription online per month. And once you own it, it is yours.

And the upgrade looks and sounds awesome. On a positive note...

wagtunes wrote:Well, I've had some time to calm down and give this some thought. I guess in a way I'm kind of lucky. Yes, I've only had Omni 1 since the end of August, but when I bought it from Sam Ash, because it was so much money, I traded in some of my old hardware to pay for it. I think I actually paid less than $100 in actual cash for it. So in retrospect, I'm still paying less than $400 for Omni 2 in total.
I tend to look at a buy like this in much the same way. The whole cost-averaging with use/depreciation tables applied also. Somehow I feel being just 'outside' the grace period puts you in the position I feel for the most for having to pay more. I feel the grace period should be extended to something closer to the last year from release date is all.
However, I know it doesn't apply to me anyway and that making whatever peace we can is what the bottom line comes down to.

Probably off topic for the current direction of this thread that seems to be discussing the price structure and upgrade paths; but I'll ask anyway...

In playing through the demos, I've noticed some are for a 'Tribute' set which states is available for purchase above the price of the instrument itself. So I'm wondering if this set will be included in version 2?
and... how many of the version 1 owners have it and think of it? (in terms of worth or use.)

That's the Moog Tribute ($99), it's really good and it's for the Moog Foundation charity, but I'm somewhat covered in that area. I'll eventually buy it anyway, because I am familiar with the new Imposcar filters in 2 so I think "the bite" factor has risen.

Honestly, it's just hard to for me to recommend Omnisphere presets (Trilian not so much)... Have you run across a demo with Trilian in Omnisphere at GC?

declan32001 wrote:That's the Moog Tribute ($99), it's really good and it's for the Moog Foundation charity, but I'm somewhat covered in that area. I'll eventually buy it anyway, because I am familiar with the new Imposcar filters in 2 so I think "the bite" factor has risen.

Honestly, it's just hard to for me to recommend Omnisphere presets (Trilian not so much)... Have you run across a demo with Trilian in Omnisphere at GC?
Trilian in Omni... Not at all (at either GC or SA and in more than one location).
It has sometimes proven to be a bit of work getting them to bring up Omni in the first place.

But when my main focus was Trilian... I got nothing from any of them.

Dewdman42 wrote:how did you get omni1 for $200?

The upgrade from Atmosphere to Omnisphere was $150 and 150 EURO. Or maybe that was a discount price for people that recently bought Atmosphere the year Omnisphere was released , like me. But I recall paying around a 100 euros .... not a 150. Weird. They shipped me a small box with 6 DVD's and a serial number within a week after release date. You can still find some of my old crazy and insane KVR post about it, it actually helped getting me into a psychosis not long after.

Return to “Instruments”