I want to "produce" my own vocals

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think Plugin Boutique have Nectar Element for £25 or so ... I didn't like it enough to buy it. I have more than enough plugins that can do the job better.

Another vote for good performance. Without it you've got nothing.

I have a bad vocal setup. To get things passable I run the vocals through waves vocal rider, rvox, and nectar2.

looking back I should have set up a booth before buying the plugs.

From a technical standpoint my recommendations for recording and processing vocals under less than ideal situations are: mic your voice as close as possible to give yourself as much flexibility with processing and controlling added ambience later. Being super close to the mic will present some problems by itself so make sure you have your preamp set low enough to give yourself the headroom you need. Use fully closed headphones if you are recording to a track. This will minimize bleed (which can be quite annoying when mixing later) and allow you to turn up your vocal and your accompaniment as loud as you need to feel comfortable without having to worry about feedback. You can find very inexpensive off brand "isolation" headphones at most music shops and they are extremely effective (they are not anywhere near close to mixing quality headphones though so don't try to use them in that context). Keep you processing on the way into your DAW to a minimum. If your preamp has compressors, eqs, deessers, "analog tube mojo", or any other stuff I would leave it be since you are just starting out. All of these things can be added later, but if set improperly they can ruin an otherwise perfect take. Use a pop filter. Make one if you have to but unless you've trained for years you will run into problems with plosives which will be especially noticeable when close micing your voice due to the proximity effect.

These steps should get you a very decent dry vocal which you can then start to shape as you see fit. There are a number of channel strips on the market which will have presets to get you started. Note that these will all still need to have their threshold tuned for the level of your vocal recording as there is no way for the programmers to know how loudly you recorded your vocals. If you want to go with one of these all in one vocal solutions you should examine the presets you are using after you have found some that you find a are achieving what you want. See how they have the compressor set. See where they have cu the frequency spectrum to eliminate issues. You will learn a lot and soon you will be making your own presets or branching out and making your own chains of processors set to your liking. I would also recommend going with a vocal processor that doesn't have too much going on in it. Lots of them will have vocal doubters and reverbs and delays and choruses and whatnot but these types of thing are better setup in the context of the entire mix. Something like voxengo's voxformer covers dynamics EQ transient processing and deessing which will help you gain an understanding of shaping a solid vocal sound without bogging you down with the other creative effects.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Car's a cool song. Unpolished technique for it is ok; after all, a kid with a bike is singing it!
Daisy was less my cup of tea, although the song is still good; I wasn't motivated to devote any energy to figuring out what the lyrics were; maybe you could emphasize them more so the listener doesn't need to do any work...
Car and Daisy sound like two different artists; I don't know if you are striving for an identity or a signature sound, but I'd go the Car route; it's got good energy.

Return to “Production Techniques”