2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

In most hosts you should simply be able to put it on an empty Audio track, set white to 200% and lock. If Phase Lock is set "To Host" then you should get sound whenever playback is happening.

In some hosts, (Logic sometimes??) the host may try to disable KS if there is no audio/content in the audio track, as the host thinks the plug-in is not doing anything so it may attempt to disable it to save CPU resources. If this happens, put some audio track in the track. It does not matter what it is if WHITE is set to 200% since KS will never use the input signal in this case.

In both cases, when you get something you like you should bounce/export/render/render-in-place, etc to a new audio track. And then disable KS if you are done using it so that it does not consume CPU resources when you are not using it.
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banquet wrote: I have beer at the moment, which is making Kaleidoscope even more wondrous and mind-boggling, but I think your suggestion is much more healthy! :)

Well it's the weekend, and I assume you are warming up for Super Bowl Sunday, so you are forgiven. :D

lnikj wrote:Andrew has said he is going to do some video tutorials.

[I think he has a 12-core Mac Pro!]

Yes I will...

And yes, I do. (although I am still slightly bitter that I don't have a 24-core Mac Pro as I should! :roll: )

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Banquet wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:You can only switch the tuning manually for now, it can't be automated or assigned to Midi which would be a great feature for an update.
Thanks - so if I want to record, say, an acoustic guitar finger picking around A, E & C, I would record the guitar track, then turn on Kaleidoscope and manually set root notes appropriately - how do I record that though?
Well, step by step, one chord, one tuning -> render, next chord next tuning->render. Or setup 4 Kaleidoscopes on 4 Busses and automate the send to those 4 Busses on the guitar track, if your computer can run 4 KSes at once that is.

Yes. What Simon said. :tu:

Personally I find Render-In-Place great for this stuff in Cubase 8, as it can automatically disable/hide/etc the source tracks. So you even put KS, then a comp, then one of our verbs, copy it four times, set up the chord progression, then render-in-place the whole thing to a single audio file, remove all the above from the CPU usage, hide it all, and still have access to it if you need to change something later... I think other hosts have similar features too?

In the future will try to make it write your whole symphony for you, perform the EDM remix, write your grammy award acceptance speech, and pick your wardrobe for the after-party. Until then, you do still have to do some manual work. :D

MIDI controlled ref pitch is def on the wishlist though... :tu:
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Banquet wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:You can only switch the tuning manually for now, it can't be automated or assigned to Midi which would be a great feature for an update.
Thanks - so if I want to record, say, an acoustic guitar finger picking around A, E & C, I would record the guitar track, then turn on Kaleidoscope and manually set root notes appropriately - how do I record that though?
Well, step by step, one chord, one tuning -> render, next chord next tuning->render. Or setup 4 Kaleidoscopes on 4 Busses and automate the send to those 4 Busses on the guitar track, if your computer can run 4 KSes at once that is.

Yes. What Simon said. :tu:

Personally I find Render-In-Place great for this stuff in Cubase 8, as it can automatically disable/hide/etc the source tracks. So you even put KS, then a comp, then one of our verbs, copy it four times, set up the chord progression, then render-in-place the whole thing to a single audio file, remove all the above from the CPU usage, hide it all, and still have access to it if you need to change something later... I think other hosts have similar features too?

In the future will try to make it write your whole symphony for you, perform the EDM remix, write your grammy award acceptance speech, and pick your wardrobe for the after-party. Until then, you do still have to do some manual work. :D
Sounds like Cubase took a page from Samplitude, which is actually why I now use Samplitude as my primary. What version of Cubase took that feature on? I still have version 5.5

As for doing all the work for me, I might like a *little* something to do. Can only talk with the girl for so long :lol:

Question: I bought KS with the Galbanum waveform expansion.It looks like a small part of the expansion also came included with KS, as I seem to have some double files (in different locations though). As I like to keep things tidy in the browser, I'd like to remove those files. Are there any folders that I can safely remove? Like the AV1 folder inside the image folder? And are there any more folders that I could remove?

Galbanum wrote:In most hosts you should simply be able to put it on an empty Audio track, set white to 200% and lock. If Phase Lock is set "To Host" then you should get sound whenever playback is happening.

In some hosts, (Logic sometimes??) the host may try to disable KS if there is no audio/content in the audio track, as the host thinks the plug-in is not doing anything so it may attempt to disable it to save CPU resources. If this happens, put some audio track in the track. It does not matter what it is if WHITE is set to 200% since KS will never use the input signal in this case.

In both cases, when you get something you like you should bounce/export/render/render-in-place, etc to a new audio track. And then disable KS if you are done using it so that it does not consume CPU resources when you are not using it.
Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain. I'm nowhere near an expert at Cubase either, so that's probably not helping, but I'm getting there! :) I've been thinking a lot about what music I'd like to write recently and it's hard to put into words, but I want it to have a feel of being out in the natural world, in amazing scenery, watching from the morning mist as the sun rises and clouds take shape. Kaleidoscope has that ethereal sound quality that somehow just transports me to those places. I already have Aether, which I can't praise highly enough, and I'm really excited about the prospect of using them together!
Last edited by Banquet on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

RichN wrote:Question: I bought KS with the Galbanum waveform expansion.It looks like a small part of the expansion also came included with KS, as I seem to have some double files (in different locations though). As I like to keep things tidy in the browser, I'd like to remove those files. Are there any folders that I can safely remove? Like the AV1 folder inside the image folder? And are there any more folders that I could remove?
Unknown exactly. Best not to do it.

Basically I have more resources than anyone else does bc I am making new ones all the time. When I make presets I use whatever I want from my internal library. Whenever we release these presets to the public we have a special build of KS that collects whatever resources were used and copies them to a new directory. We then include these with the presets to be sure whatever is used in the presets is found on user's machines.

So factory presets used stuff from AV1, AV2 (which is not complete or released yet), A Waveforms 2010, etc. Whatever is used by factory presets is included in the factory content library.

If you also have AV1 and A Waveforms 2010, then you do have some duplicates, yes. (less than 5% I think)

But the cool thing is that if you add AV1 for example, and you load a factory preset that used some AV1 image, if you open the image browser, it will take you to exactly where this image came from int he AV1 content, NOT the factory content.... so you will instantly have many more similar things to try to get variations of the same general preset idea.

The more content you have, the more powerful this is.

The browsers are designed to handle hundreds of thousands of files or more... :o :o

Short answer: if you have AV1, just look in AV1 instead of the factory folder since it has more options. (although there is some stuff in the Factory folder that is NOT in AV1).
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galbanum wrote:
Sound Author wrote:Now that I think of it, would be pretty cool to trigger the slider for the white noise oscillator with a sidechain signal coming from a guitar output. Hehe. MWAHAHAHAAAA!!

You don't need to do this. White 0 to 100% already effectively does this...

White > 100% starts to mix in the "blanket" of "always on" white noise.

Up to 100% it will be enveloped, and will follow your input signal exactly like a side-chain comp scheme, well actually not exactly as side chain has it's own slow behavior with attack/release/sustain/threshold/etc and in our case all of this is unnecessary and white is exactly perfectly in time with no attack etc.....

:tu:
Wow, thanks for the education! So, basically "White" has sort of a built-in envelope follower? :o

Sound Author wrote: Wow, thanks for the education! So, basically "White" has sort of a built-in envelope follower? :o

Yes

Galbanum wrote:Like the AV1 folder inside the image folder? And are there any more folders that I could remove?
Well, probably, it would be safe to remove the "AV1" folders from factory if you have the full AV1 Library if you really want to.

That should be fine. But I am not 100% sure so I can't recommend it.

The worst thing that can happen is you will get a missing file dialog, so it is safe to try if you really must, but hopefully it does not result in us writing extra support emails. :D

Also you should NOT assume our installers will preserve anything in our factory folders if you make changes to them. FACTORY is our content, and we expect to manage it with installers. It is therefore dangerous to mess around with it, as it might be tempting to start putting your own files in this and in some future update our installers might replace the Factory folder with updates and this could cause you to loose your custom content.

So really it best to keep the factory stuff as we ship it, and you can organize USER however you like.

Daags wrote:it would be very useful if you could assign an image editor in the preferences, and then add an 'edit image' button in the image browser which would open the image in the assigned editor. when saved the image would be placed in either an assigned custom folder or would overwrite the original, or it would simply save in the original's folder. Perhaps some logical naming conventions would be handy too, such as if the original was called 'vocal blur' ... KS would create a copy called 'vocal blur custom001' and then send that to the image editor.

in essence, how it's done in ableton when assigning a dedicated sample editor and then editing an audio clip.

bump

Daags wrote:
Daags wrote:it would be very useful if you could assign an image editor in the preferences, and then add an 'edit image' button in the image browser which would open the image in the assigned editor. when saved the image would be placed in either an assigned custom folder or would overwrite the original, or it would simply save in the original's folder. Perhaps some logical naming conventions would be handy too, such as if the original was called 'vocal blur' ... KS would create a copy called 'vocal blur custom001' and then send that to the image editor.

in essence, how it's done in ableton when assigning a dedicated sample editor and then editing an audio clip.

bump

sure there are all sorts of "cool" things than could be done... this is just the first step. Let's get it working smoothly for everyone and get unnecessary CPU usage resolved, and then we can think about other cool stuff... :tu:

I understand your suggestion. In spirit, the goal is good and it is something to think about. thanks.

http://www.2caudio.com/sitecontent/prod ... tances.png

10 instances live in Cubase 8.0.5.

Maximum possible settings for Spring Resonator mode for each instance:

• 512 Active Lines
• Double Spring Res Mode
• Dual Dynamic Modulation

Multiplied by 10 stereo instances this is:

• 10,240 voices
• 20,971,520 points of automation

Realtime!

This is quite insane if you think about it...

Yes, this is on a very powerful Mac Pro (currently the best Mac computer available.) But we expect to be able to do this kind of thing on less powerful machines in the future as well.

With expected additional optimizations we might be able to get this up another 20-30%, maybe even 40% in the short term -- maybe still within the intro period.

Activity Monitor Reports Cubase CPU usage at about 1800% out of a possible theoretical max of 2400% (12 cores * 2 hyper threads *100%).

Prob we can get this to 12 max-setting instances like this, which would work out to one max-setting instance per physical core in this case...

Core loading is VERY even across all cores as you can see, and even under this load the system is very responsive and I write this post while it is still running in the background. Zero dropouts...

KS Buffer and Mytek Digital 8192 buffer are set to 2048 for this test. Multi-threading is at 300% -- which for unknown reasons seems to be the best on my host/hardware combo.

This is just a stress test, we don't expect you to actually use KS this way. But just FYI...

Another important thing to realize here also is that the above is the worst-case scenario for the Spring resonators. Everything possible it set to max values.

CPU usage is linear more or less depending on the number of lines though, so changing the number of lines for each of the instances in this test would give something like:

512 lines = 10 instances
256 lines = 20 instances
128 lines = 40 instances
64 lines = 80 instances

etc.

If I had to guess off the top of my head, I would guess the average number of used lines in the factory presets is between 128 and 256...

Double Dynamic mod also uses more CPU than single dynamic or Static.
2 Spring uses more CPU than 1 Spring.

So the above is the absolute worst-case stress stress I can come up with for Spring Resonators. :tu:

Return to “Effects”