Blackhole, a good addition to Valhalla plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cyphersuit wrote: a bad example would be breeze for me, lots of pops and clicks in the reverb tail when you go crazy.
Because of CPU use and only heard "live" or nasty clicks and pops that are there even in files after rendering?

Caine123 wrote:why do you recommend reflex+ and not pro? :)
I dunno about others, but I can't recommend pro because I'm on LPX. Soo.. no 64-bit AU is a dealbreaker.

Also would like to echo other comments about Blackhole's smoothness. It definitely is silky smooth.

Being into ambient/soundscapes I am a sucker for big spacey/fx reverbs.

I currently have a complete Valhalla set which are, of course, incredible. I also use Liquidsonics Reverberate which can be fun with the right IRs, but is quite time consuming to set up as opposed to an algorithmic reverb.

I look longingly at Blackhole, but only if it was on sale, and I have massive misgivings about ilok whether dongled or not.

I have three others in the demo folder at the moment.

I have just bought 2C Audio's incredible new Kaleidoscope, which gives me an option of 50% off B2 until the end of the month. That's close to a no brainer as it is so powerful, but it is also a monster CPU hog. On my machine we are into freezing and rendering if I want to use it.

Reflex+ doesn't offer anything significant that B2 doesn't cover as far as I can see, and only offers a fraction of its functionality, but it sounds good and uses very little CPU.

JRR also has a good deal on KR Space at the moment, which is interesting, but has (IMHO) a ghastly GUI and bad preset handling and I am not sure how committed the developer is to it. I would welcome any input from anybody who owns it though.

One Q for Blackhole owners - what is the CPU use like? It still tempts me for its famous smoothness ...

robotmonkey wrote:There's a new version of Reflex+ out today. Includes additional reverb/delay mode and more flexible modulation. Would definitely get this over Blackhole.
If you like that spacey reverb/delay type sound (I do) you can get good mileage out of using two instances of NI Replika (problems sorted now I believe for those who had them) in series - one set in one of the delay modes, and the other set in diffusion mode. Or replace the delay mode one with the excellent inexpensive Unfiltered Audio Sandman for even more control/mayhem.

Of course, Ubermod is excellent for this sort of stuff too. Or two Ubermods. Or Ubermod + Shimmer etc etc

NI Replika is the best freebie they've ever given away IMHO - I hope they will do a souped up version like with Supercharger too. I digress though ...

lnikj wrote:One Q for Blackhole owners - what is the CPU use like? It still tempts me for its famous smoothness ...
About 5 % (jumps between 3-7%) on a 2011 Macbook Pro 2.3 i7 quadcore.

raymondwave wrote:
lnikj wrote:One Q for Blackhole owners - what is the CPU use like? It still tempts me for its famous smoothness ...
About 5 % (jumps between 3-7%) on a 2011 Macbook Pro 2.3 i7 quadcore.
Thanks. Even more tempting!

lnikj wrote:
NI Replika is the best freebie they've ever given away IMHO - I hope they will do a souped up version like with Supercharger too. I digress though ...
Forgot to mention it. Replika is also excellent for large atmospheres. It is almost as smooth as Shimmer so it's very good.
No signature here!

The thing I like about Blackhole is that it handles morphing better than any other reverb I have tried. Usually when you try and morph a reverb (especially a large space) it creates crazy feedback and sometimes zipper type sounds but Blackhole is designed for this and it somehow manages to keep everything still sounding smooth.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if anyone wanna sell blackhole pm me ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I have been using NI Replika with diffusion after a hall reverb followed by eventide ultra channel for pitch shift and slight EQ.

Demo'd Reflex + and very tempted. Blackhole is way out of my price range.

I wanted to echo the cpu use of Blackhole. While I haven't used it on a lot of tracks yet, it has always been very kind to my cpu.

B2, on the other hand... I'm pretty sure I've heard my MBP whimper as it was loading up B2. ;) It sure sounds amazing though.

Return to “Effects”