New Electribes

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well well, that does sound nice. All Electribe? Im torn between this and the Aira System 1. The bonus with the Electribe is the sequencing and the drums. The System 1 sounds bloody beautiful though.

I've been listening to the demos more and more and the thing that strikes me with this thing is the sounds seem really compressed and lack dynamic range- especially the drums.

By default it comes with velocity turned off for the pads, I'm guessing a lot of people don't realize this. No idea why this is the default, stupid...

dcfac73 wrote:well well, that does sound nice. All Electribe? Im torn between this and the Aira System 1. The bonus with the Electribe is the sequencing and the drums. The System 1 sounds bloody beautiful though.
Electribe 2 for fun, intuitive, inspirational music making. System 1 for sound quality and Plug-Outs.

So this, or the new Roland JX?

Apples and oranges, surely? One portable, runs off batteries, the other, not so much.

Among the many other things that they don't share in common with one another.

duncanm wrote:Apples and oranges, surely? One portable, runs off batteries, the other, not so much.

Among the many other things that they don't share in common with one another.
They both share similar possibilities in terms of what you can do with them. Yes they have differences, but they're both a workstation type of device at a similar price point.

Well, if you say so! I'd suggest that there's a world of difference between something with pads but very portable (plus a sampler if you get that version) vs something with a real keyboard, analogue synth, vocoder yadda yadda yadda.

dcfac73 wrote:They both share similar possibilities in terms of what you can do with them. Yes they have differences, but they're both a workstation type of device at a similar price point.
The electribe 2 has Live export, the JX has an analog section. Roland's intention is for the JX to replace the microKORG, which it does quite well, but I recommend any Live user definitely get an electribe 2.

duncanm wrote:Well, if you say so! I'd suggest that there's a world of difference between something with pads but very portable (plus a sampler if you get that version) vs something with a real keyboard, analogue synth, vocoder yadda yadda yadda.
I agree they don't have much in common in terms of form factor, but, as I said before, they share similar functionality. Eg they both carry high quality onboard synth and drum sounds , and they both have a sequencer.
The Electribe 2 as better portablity, pads, and Ableton export, while the Roland has the analogue synth ,vocoder, and keys. These are the main differences for me. If I buy one, I don't think I'll need the other.

dcfac73 wrote:The Electribe 2 as better portablity, pads, and Ableton export, while the Roland has the analogue synth ,vocoder, and keys. These are the main differences for me. If I buy one, I don't think I'll need the other.
The analog section of the JX is quite limited. It's still better to have it than not and I'd certainly choose the JX over a microKORG. However, if you use Ableton, I think the electribe's Live integration is more valuable than the JX's analog section.

So how does the electribe export work? is it korg gadget style when it just exports the audio or does it acutally export the midi as well? the latter would be more useful in some regards. IIRC, the Roland keyboard has the same audio interface as most of their other new stuff so you can simply write down a sequence and then record the audio of the playback, so still a arguably better workflow than it would typically be.

Just bought the Electribe 2. Am I mistaken, or is it just possible to tweak the presets on this thing? Can't find anywhere in the manual where it tells you how to make your own presets from scratch. Hope I'm wrong, otherwise I've just wasted a lot of money.

dcfac73 wrote:Just bought the Electribe 2. Am I mistaken, or is it just possible to tweak the presets on this thing? Can't find anywhere in the manual where it tells you how to make your own presets from scratch. Hope I'm wrong, otherwise I've just wasted a lot of money.
By presets I assume you mean the patterns/songs and sounds- of course you can complete change all of these and start from a blank canvas with an 'init' pattern

Initialised (blank) patterns start at about 300....there are a lot of presents but you can delete them all and have all your own, what you cant currently do is delete the raw waves/wavetables that individual sounds are made from (there are some rumours that you may be able to do this with a future update), you just tweak and filter them etc to make your own sounds.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

dcfac73 wrote:Just bought the Electribe 2. Am I mistaken, or is it just possible to tweak the presets on this thing? Can't find anywhere in the manual where it tells you how to make your own presets from scratch. Hope I'm wrong, otherwise I've just wasted a lot of money.
Woops, I think I got it. Might have spoken too soon. Just had to twist the osc knob

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”