How do you like BreakTweaker?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been wanting to buy Phalanx mainly for manipulating samples, but recently bought BreakTweaker and realize that it does something no other plugin does. I was thinking it could be utilized as a sample editor, but basically I've found out it's the easiest way to get drum rolls or intricate grooves. I also have Liquid Rhythm, but think that using a knob on Breaktweaker to scroll through the 'stutter' options is pretty slick. Still like Liquid Rhythm for ideas though, but Breaktweaker is really quick to use, though LR has more things you can control in composing drum beats.

Is anyone finding Breaktweaker to be a good sampler?

I still have to compare the amount on modulation sources and destinations between Breaktweaker and Phalanx, but I'm wondering if Phalanx would still be valuable to have or if Breaktweaker can alter/synthesize samples just as well. I have done any comparison yet, but am looking to see if I would be missing out on Phalanx's workflow or ways of routing/effects. I do like the fact that Breaktweaker has 4 Envelopes and LFOs, more than Phalanx.

After looking into this comparison further, I can see BreakTweaker is mainly supposed to be used for it's Microedit/drum creation aspect. It has the wavetable generator in it, but the more I look at it's specs, the more I see it's less like a sample synthesizer and more of a unique sequencing device.

Phalanx seems to have lots of effects. Breaktweaker seems to have just a distortion (from Trash 2) and a Chorus effect. Phalanx allows you to modulate anything in it with it's Envelopes and LFOs. That's awesome. But Breaktweaker seems to not have a whole of modulation destination options going on. It's nice that there are 4 Env and LFOs for mod sources though. I haven't even played with it yet, just bought it, so maybe I'm wrong on what it can do as a sample mangler.

I'm hoping to be able to harness it's stutter/sequencing options to make them more subtle and more groove oriented than stutter oriented. I shall see.

I like BreakTweaker quite a bit. It has been my primary drum machine of late. I haven't messed with its synth modules though .. I've only used my own samples. It is a quick and easy tool to use.

That said, I have a weakness for Vengeance's plugins. They're all fantastic. I haven't spent much time with Phalanx, but from the cursory look I've given it, it does seem very powerful.

Can't really go wrong either way. Although, I wish Phalanx had a sequencer...

I'm also using BT for all my drum needs. I think it's really awesome and fast to work with.

I thought Breaktweaker was fun, although the sequencer is somewhat limited in a lot of ways. One thing I've heard recommended but haven't tried yet myself is to load in samples other than percussion for mangling- vocals for example.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Honestly - I don't get on with BreakTweaker. Needed another year on the design bench. Some really clumsy UI issues, beyond the infamous "can't see 2 bars at once". Disparate patch layouts (there's no standard to kick being on track 1, snare 2 etc) combined with some truly baffling effects omissions (no reverb) so that you have to keep using outboard fx and re routing everything from patch to patch - hard to be consistent when working with it. Also, as much as the micro timing is clever and occasionally useful, the patches waaaay over use it til very quickly I found I got bored of the whole thing. Of course I can program my own (with a clunky UI) or get rid of theirs, but it reduces its appeal when browsing for grooves. Although it shouldn't be, it does a good impression of a one trick pony.

It really seems half baked. Although it's apples and oranges with Stylus, the latter is so much better integrated as a whole product, so I revert to manipulating that most of the time. Sounds are good, but it's pretty much stayed on the shelf for me, and unless they really overhaul a lot of the UI that's where I think it will stay,
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

personally i really like the option to midi trigger a whole pattern at once. Nice for live use and also inside the arrangement. Just set up your patterns and change one midi note to bring in variations. Quite fast imo. I can live with the limited fx and the sequencer. By using multi outs every track is going to an own device chain anyway. And reverb is just a send away.

I have it but rarely use it. It seems geared to a particular genre which is fine if that's what you need.
I wanted to use it for melodic/chordal stuff and should explore it some more for that, I guess.
It just isn't very inspiring...at least not yet.
Hopefully, there are some patch designers who are working on stuff that will open up more of its potential...

I am mainly into ambient/soundscapes and it is now the first tool I reach for for my percussion needs.

Actually, I've found that I use both BreakTweaker and StutterEdit mostly in a way for which they were not intended- I use them to create glitchy little sound fx stings to accompany my motion graphics.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Interesting to hear you embrace the 'glitchy' aspect of the plugin. Seems like that it's easy to do that and geared for it.

I haven't gotten into it yet, but I'm hoping that it will be able to be controlled to make none glitchy stuff that is more drum roll and groove oriented. I will say that if I'm able to come up with non glitchy grooves and drum rolls, then BT could be totally worth it. As there aren't too many plugins that will come up with grooves as easily as just twisting a knob on BT.

tried as it came out, but i was not surprised and was still faster with Abletons drum stuff and some piano roll programing.

the included sample were really good, saved some of them here and sometime i find a use for those samples.

Ive tried both and was less than impressed with Phalanx. Most of the sounds that come with it are percussion, snares and one shot things that dont really stack up to something like Battery. There are hardly any synths and leads and the leads all sound the same.

As far as breaktweaker goes, I found it somewhat restrictive and its samples didn't have much punch. Its only strong suit is its ability to do builds for transitions so I can see how it could be of benefit there but thats about it. If thats all you're only gonna use for it you might as well get sample packs or REX files like Eurphoria V1 and run them through Kontact.

If you just want a mangler and dont care much for Breaktweaker samples you should try StutterEdit, although it crashed my computer a couple of times and I got an i7 6core, 32g ram. Having said that, The Finger also crashed and a few other glitch plugins.

Thanks for the input!

I judge Phalanx on it's abilities though, not so much on the library. I was watching more videos of it and realized it's the sample editor that I've wanted for a while. Would be cool if they added a sequencer at some point, but the editing options are great, I feel. I look at it as a sample editor with samples added as a bonus.

I'm thinking I'm going to be using Breaktweaker as a drum buildup/transition tool. I haven't seen anything faster for that. I just don't understand why Izotope released this without being able to see the full 2 bars, better effects, more sample editing option like Phalanx. It just feels unfinished so far to me. It's only going to be used as a specific task tool like I mentioned because it just doesn't offer enough to be one of the main tools.

stikygum wrote:I just don't understand why Izotope released this without being able to see the full 2 bars, better effects, more sample editing option like Phalanx. It just feels unfinished so far to me. It's only going to be used as a specific task tool like I mentioned because it just doesn't offer enough to be one of the main tools.
Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

I guess the iZotope way is to release a new version with an upgrade price at some point. I feel a bit of an idiot buying it to be honest - I did try the demo, but it was only when I played around with the full library in anger I really appreciated the shortcomings. Maybe they'll give it a thorough overhaul for v2 - it sure needs it.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”